PDA

View Full Version : "N" in the n number meaning??

Daveroo
June 2nd, 2010, 18:43
what does the "N" in the N number in american aircraft numbering system stand for?...and on older aircraft ive seen "NC" whats that stand for?...

Willy
June 2nd, 2010, 18:50
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/aircraft_nnumber_history/

N2056
June 2nd, 2010, 18:57
I always wondered about that...
Great bit of trivia. Thanks!

TeaSea
June 3rd, 2010, 15:13
Thanks for posting that Willy....so the answer to Daveroo's question is the "N" means "N", and that's all "N" means.

Just an arbitrary designation. So many things are.

Ken Stallings
June 3rd, 2010, 16:29
Thanks for posting that Willy....so the answer to Daveroo's question is the "N" means "N", and that's all "N" means.

Just an arbitrary designation. So many things are.

No, not any longer. Today it designates an aircraft as a US registered vessel of the air.

It was arbitrarily assigned for this use, but it is no longer arbitrary as it relates to being on the aircraft. For example, say I purchase an aircraft registered in Canada. I have to apply to the FAA for a new registration number (starting with "N") if I wish to re-register it in the United States. And, if I base it inside the United States, then I have to.

Ken

stansdds
June 4th, 2010, 02:39
Ken is correct. Here is a Wikipedia link for quick reference as to the use of civil registration codes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_registration

TeaSea
June 4th, 2010, 15:41
No, not any longer. Today it designates an aircraft as a US registered vessel of the air.

It was arbitrarily assigned for this use, but it is no longer arbitrary as it relates to being on the aircraft. For example, say I purchase an aircraft registered in Canada. I have to apply to the FAA for a new registration number (starting with "N") if I wish to re-register it in the United States. And, if I base it inside the United States, then I have to.

Ken

Yes I know ....but it was arbitrary to begin with....an "N"finately "N"teresting "N"otion of "N"ational "N"otation....(I'm sorry, that hurt didn't it?).

My point being, there was nothing particularly special about "N" for U.S. aircraft, other than it was "N" and the U.S. had radio rights to the letter, which in itself was somewhat arbitrary -- except for the use by the Navy.

Could have been "W" or "K" which were also arbitrary letters....obviously we now have a specific designation for "N".

Railrunner130
June 5th, 2010, 18:18
I thought the N stood for "Normal", registered in the US. Interesting.

wantok
June 5th, 2010, 18:28
I thought the N stood for "Normal", registered in the US. Interesting.
Now that is interestingly funny, Railrunner:icon_lol::icon_lol:. Chuckle.. chuckle...