PDA

View Full Version : One for the admins

Nick C
May 31st, 2010, 00:19
Hi folks. I've just replied to one PM and have another I was replying to which only required a brief paragraph. After writing it and hitting send, I'm informed that I have to wait 14 mins (819 seconds) before I can post another reply. Is that correct?

IanP
May 31st, 2010, 01:37
That'll be spam protection Nick, to stop people cutting and pasting "Buy tihs fayk medisin from our Lisensed Canadian Pharmaceeee!" and sending PMs very quickly to everyone on the board.

14 mins does seem a bit long, but that's why its done. Every publicly forum I've worked with/on/at has had a similar system. You may well find that your own has the option, although probably set to 2 or 5 minutes, not 15.

Ian P.

Nick C
May 31st, 2010, 02:46
I understand the reason for the delay Ian, as you say it's required for spam detection, but 15 mins is a very long time for a gap between sending PM's. I don't see any option to alter this, nor would I expect there to be a an option outside of the admin panel.

Chacha
May 31st, 2010, 06:59
I remember Ickie was working on this...
And YES, IanP is correct...

Ickie and the admins are in the process of making a solution to this,
That the Charter Members can send consecutive PMs in less 15 minute (delays)...

jmig
May 31st, 2010, 07:00
I think it is something like 30 sec to one minute. Fifteen minutes isn't right.

roger-wilco-66
May 31st, 2010, 07:30
I too think this lag time too long. There are other methods of spam protection, what about working with captchas?

Cheers,
Mark

Nick C
May 31st, 2010, 07:33
I think it is something like 30 sec to one minute. Fifteen minutes isn't right.

It's certainly 15 mins here. Mind, I'm the guy who gets randomly subscribed to threads across SOH, so perhaps I should just be treated as the exception to the SOH rules, lol.