PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions

WAD3
May 30th, 2010, 15:38
I have been considering getting one of two airplanes. It's either the Iris T-6 Texan II or the Alphasim T34C mentor.
I wonder if anybody has either one or both and would like to hear what you think about them.

Thanks
Andrew

JamesChams
May 30th, 2010, 16:27
I have been considering getting one of two airplanes. It's either the Iris T-6 Texan II or the Alphasim T34C mentor.
I wonder if anybody has either one or both and would like to hear what you think about them.
...Mr. Andrew "WAD3,"
I have both and, depending on certain preferences, you could go both ways... as both are quite nice aircraft but, in different ways. If your looking for as "real as it get" then, I recommend the Alphasim mentor; she's got great textures, realistic cockpit equipment and several other "bells and whistles" for an enhanced experience; like IFR Hood.:wiggle:
The Iris T-6 is also a great model but, its VC textures are a little lower-end; so, this might be a better solution if FPS is a major issue on your system. However, she too, is equally equiped with the right instrumentation but, is (IMHO) a little like a "toy" when it comes to the flight model. That's some basic differences. There are many more but, I'll leave it to others to point out those and, perhaps, let you to find out for your self.

Best of luck to you! :wavey:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

stormtrooper271
May 30th, 2010, 16:36
From what I have experienced from AlphaSim's products their VCs are lacking many features, but the one in their T-34 appears to be well made; And seeing as it is for FSX only I would expect it to be decent if not perfect for FSX.

I own the Iris T-6 and the best thing about it is the ejection seat. You don't see any real animation for the ejection seat, the canopy flies off and then you have no control of the aircraft as it falls to the ground. The T-6 has plenty of repaints with it and it is fairly easy on framerates and pretty easy to fly too. I have the Carenado T-34 and it is fun to fly, especially to make carrier landings (extremely low landing speed). They both seem to be very similar.:kilroy:

WAD3
May 30th, 2010, 17:58
Thanks for the replies.
I really like the look of the Mentor I may have a go with that one.

Ken Stallings
May 30th, 2010, 19:50
I realize you didn't list it as an option, but consider the Mentor released for FSX by Carenado. The one they did for FS2004 in my opinion flew a lot better.

Ken

WAD3
May 30th, 2010, 19:54
I had used the Mentor in FS2004. It was nice but I was looking for an updated airplane. I know the c isnt exactly whats being used now but it looks more modern.

TeaSea
May 31st, 2010, 04:51
Well, you asked for an opinion and you're darn well going to get one here!

:jump:

gajit
May 31st, 2010, 06:17
In my opinion you should get of the fence and buy both :ernae:

WAD3
May 31st, 2010, 08:43
In my opinion you should get of the fence and buy both :ernae:

I wish. Having just switched to FSX I am trying to balance scenery and airplanes. :mixedsmi:

jmig
May 31st, 2010, 08:57
The Iris T-6II is one of my favorite airplanes. Having attended USAF pilot training, I find the flight model to be what I would expect from a basic trainer.

I might add that the T-6 is one of the few aircraft I have actually crashed in the final turn. I thought it was an accurate representation of what happens when you get behind the power curve.