PDA

View Full Version : 'Cheap Filters & The Effect On Image Quality'

Panther_99FS
May 29th, 2010, 08:38
http://desmond-downs.blogspot.com/2010/04/cheap-filters-and-bokeh.html

jmig
May 29th, 2010, 09:49
Interesting. I have the Hoya HMC that came in #1. Yayyyyyyy! Luck. I had no idea when I bought it. LOL

Ferry_vO
May 29th, 2010, 13:54
I mainly use filters from Tiffen and B+W; haze and UV filters but I use these also to protect the front element of my lenses. A filter is a lot cheaper to replace.

Panther_99FS
May 29th, 2010, 15:07
I've seen this topic go back and forth....The only consensus that I've seen is that if you use a filter, use a good one....

AussieMan
May 29th, 2010, 15:48
I only use Hoya or Cokin filters. Will have to do some tests and see if there is a problem with them.

As I still use a Minolta AF film camera as well as the digital ones I have wondered about this. I have a fair amount of money invested in filters and am reluctant to have to invest more at the moment.

Cheers
Pat

Kiwikat
May 29th, 2010, 15:59
I've got to say the only thing better about my B+W F-Pro vs my Hoya HMC is that the B+W is better quality. The ring is a lot more solid and the glass is easier to clean. There's no noticeable image quality difference, yet the B+W cost twice as much...

I think most of my future filters will be Hoya HMC or Hoya Super HMC. I've seen some charts that show the Super model has more light transmittance, but the regular HMC one seems to be the best bang for your buck.

JorisVandenBerghe
May 30th, 2010, 00:00
I'm currently looking at a circular polarizing filter, a 77mm one (€ 180, from Sony...they also have Carl Zeiss filters, I reckon). Don't know if I could ever figure out how it works...I read it makes you loose about 1 to 1.5 stop, and you need to turn it ?

You're correct, Ed - if you use one, make sure it's a good one...

Kiwikat
May 30th, 2010, 08:37
I'm currently looking at a circular polarizing filter, a 77mm one (€ 180, from Sony...they also have Carl Zeiss filters, I reckon). Don't know if I could ever figure out how it works...I read it makes you loose about 1 to 1.5 stop, and you need to turn it ?

Yep, turn it until you see the desired effect in the viewfinder. They can really save hazy and glarey shots. I need to pick one up before EAA this year. Hopefully I'll have a new walkaround or wide angle for then too... :173go1:

will_b
May 31st, 2010, 04:35
I mainly use filters from Tiffen and B+W; haze and UV filters but I use these also to protect the front element of my lenses. A filter is a lot cheaper to replace.

You'd be amazed how much damage a front element can withstand before you really notice much difference. Link (http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches)

jmig
May 31st, 2010, 05:21
I lost the lens hood from my 18-200 lens a while back. On Saturday I found a replacement on Adoarma's site. They also had a foam rubber hat looking thing that was suposed to slip over the hood and protect the lens. It was only a few dollars so I bought one. I will let you guys and gals know what I think when I get it.

JorisVandenBerghe
May 31st, 2010, 08:07
You'd be amazed how much damage a front element can withstand before you really notice much difference.
Of course, but some people like to keep their gear protected (I'm one of them). Just try to sell a lens which has a couple of scratches...I would not even consider buying it.