PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Video card for FSX

PHo17
May 29th, 2010, 02:49
At last I am going to upgrade to FSX but it's too much for my PC from the year 2005. So I have to upgrade the PC too. There is only one question (worth of money too) I don't know answer yet.

What kind of Video card I should buy?

I am not playing any other games but flight simulators, so there is no need for the best money can buy. My 4 years old video card runs CFS2, CFS3 and IL2 quite well and even FS2004 fairly well in this old computer. Only FSX is too much (for the computer and it's V. card).

I wouldn't like to invest a lot of money for nothing (only FSX needs better card), but what kind of card would be good enough?

Is there any sence in this Mr. Kok's article where he says that any ATI radeon 4650 level card is good enough for FSX? http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=30796

Pekka

I am new on this forum so perhaps this subject has been discussed here earlier? Sorry if it is so, but I didn't have time to go through every article.

stansdds
May 29th, 2010, 03:40
Before buying a new video card for an old PC, let's see what the rest of your computer looks like. If the CPU and RAM won't handle FSX, no need in buying the video card for FSX.

PHo17
May 30th, 2010, 01:11
Before buying a new video card for an old PC, let's see what the rest of your computer looks like. If the CPU and RAM won't handle FSX, no need in buying the video card for FSX.

Well I am buying a whole new PC (didn't I write so? - well English isn't my language ;-) powerful enough for FSX. Everything else is already quite clear. The only question is what kind of V.C. would be enough for FSX because I don't play any such games that need the best V.C. (and most expensive) there is in the market.

Pekka

kilo delta
May 30th, 2010, 04:12
Well I am buying a whole new PC (didn't I write so? - well English isn't my language ;-) powerful enough for FSX. Everything else is already quite clear. The only question is what kind of V.C. would be enough for FSX because I don't play any such games that need the best V.C. (and most expensive) there is in the market.

Pekka

The thing is though, as Stan has already mentioned....no point in us recommending a graphics card unless we know that the rest of the system is up to running it. :)

FWIW I'm running an Nvidia 285GTX and am very happy with it......I'm also running an 8800GTX, twin 9800GX2, 8800GTX Ultra and an ATI HD3870X2 in other systems and they all run FSX very well..... as the rest of the components are properly matched so as not to cause any bottle-necks.

PHo17
May 30th, 2010, 08:44
The thing is though, as Stan has already mentioned....no point in us recommending a graphics card unless we know that the rest of the system is up to running it. :)

How about with this one?

Asus P7P55D-E LX S1156 P55 DDR3 USB3.0 SATA6 ATX,
Intel Core i7 860 2.80 GHz 8 MB LGA1156 boxed,
4 Gt Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 MHZ CL9 (2x2 Gt kit),
and other parts that are needed.

Pekka

guzler
May 30th, 2010, 23:32
I'm running an I7 920 with an ATI 5850 1Gb and happy with it. I get some minor ripples when it's fully loaded with scenery addons, AI and the settings cranked up, but certainly livable.

Key things about FSX - Make sure you install SP1 & SP2 or accelleration (Which contains them) as I noticed a 100% FPS improvement after the updates.