PDA

View Full Version : Who are these guys?

pivo11
May 29th, 2010, 00:24
G'day,

Does anyone know anything about these guys? The stuff looks outstanding but I can't find much about them. There doesn't seem to be a way to see their forum, (if they even have one), and there is no way to register, that I can find. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this really does seem like excellent stuff but the secrecy is a little strange and I can find no reviews or advertising. Considering that it's fairly expensive payware scenery, it does seem odd. Thanks up front.

Here is the link; http://www.simaddons.com/pages/simaddons_news.htm

Be of good cheer,
Fritz

glennc
May 29th, 2010, 05:23
Could be you stumbled across a work in progress? If so, we'll hear more when they are ready.

Glenn

mal998
May 29th, 2010, 05:26
G'day,

Does anyone know anything about these guys? The stuff looks outstanding but I can't find much about them. There doesn't seem to be a way to see their forum, (if they even have one), and there is no way to register, that I can find. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this really does seem like excellent stuff but the secrecy is a little strange and I can find no reviews or advertising. Considering that it's fairly expensive payware scenery, it does seem odd. Thanks up front.

Here is the link; http://www.simaddons.com/pages/simaddons_news.htm

Be of good cheer,
Fritz

Never heard of them before, but their work looks to be first rate. Probably just someone new who wants to keep overhead down and profits to themselves (can't blame them for that).

Prices seem pretty reasonable for what you get in return. I bookmarked their site for future reference.

If I flew in that neck of the woods, I would be inclined to give them a try.

BR's,
mal

ManuelL
May 29th, 2010, 05:58
Thanks for the link :wiggle:
Just bought the Halifax scenery - it is really beautiful. The airports are very detailed. Only the photoscenery for the city and region is a bit low res.

The forum is only for registered users. You get a forum link and account when you by the product.
The purchase process goes without registration. You pay via paypal and get a download link via e-mail within 24 hours (got mine after an hour or so).

pivo11
May 29th, 2010, 08:01
Thanks, guys. Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Fritz

BeaverDriver
May 29th, 2010, 15:48
Thanks for the link :wiggle:
Just bought the Halifax scenery - it is really beautiful. The airports are very detailed. Only the photoscenery for the city and region is a bit low res.

The forum is only for registered users. You get a forum link and account when you by the product.
The purchase process goes without registration. You pay via paypal and get a download link via e-mail within 24 hours (got mine after an hour or so).

Hi Manuel
I'm really interested in this scenery as well. Can you tell me if you can run it reasonably smoothly on your rig? I have an i7 w/6 GB RAM and I do ok in most areas like Tongass and PNW. I just don't want to get it then find it knocks me down to no autogen in order to get a smooth ride.

Thanks much for the info. Sure wish their forums were more open.

ManuelL
May 29th, 2010, 23:46
I get around 20-30 FPS with the LevelD 767 and autogen dense, scenery objects very dense, traffic around 20%, water 2 x low (i79040 @3.8gHZ, 6GB Ram, 285GTX). Sometimes textures load a bit slow when I turn the view very quickly. Otherwise I don't have any FPS issues.

The scenery has some limitations though. The photo texture of the region is lower than FSX standard and there are invisible ground objects at the gate, so you have to turn the crash detection of

A management tool is included with the scenery that allows you to turn on/off certain parts of the scenery (see below).

BeaverDriver
May 30th, 2010, 01:47
I get around 20-30 FPS with the LevelD 767 and autogen dense, scenery objects very dense, traffic around 20%, water 2 x low (i79040 @3.8gHZ, 6GB Ram, 285GTX). Sometimes textures load a bit slow when I turn the view very quickly. Otherwise I don't have any FPS issues.

The scenery has some limitations though. The photo texture of the region is lower than FSX standard and there are invisible ground objects at the gate, so you have to turn the crash detection of

A management tool is included with the scenery that allows you to turn on/off certain parts of the scenery (see below).

Thank you for this Manuel, much appreciated. All in all, did you feel it was worth the money?

Thank you again.

Glenn

ManuelL
May 30th, 2010, 02:51
To me it was worth the money, but it might depend a bit on what you are looking for in a scenery.
I like that it is a very lively scenery (moving cargo hoists, deicing trucks, AI snow plows on the runway) and they have some nice free goodies in their forum (lightning effects, rain and snow effects etc.).

BeaverDriver
May 30th, 2010, 04:29
To me it was worth the money, but it might depend a bit on what you are looking for in a scenery.
I like that it is a very lively scenery (moving cargo hoists, deicing trucks, AI snow plows on the runway) and they have some nice free goodies in their forum (lightning effects, rain and snow effects etc.).

Thanks again Manuel. I like realism as much as possible and this sounds like it accomplishes that, particularly with animations. I do prefer to be able to back things off a bit if necessary as bad stutters or something that resembles more of a slide show than a smooth descent to landing overrides anything else for me. Sounds like it might be worth a shot, as I would also like the additional airports in NS.

Thanks very much for this Manuel. I really appreciate your input.

Glenn

Lionheart
May 30th, 2010, 06:11
Nice scenery!

Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

jmig
May 30th, 2010, 06:22
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered the small airports. These guys look impressive.

Roadburner440
May 30th, 2010, 06:35
Very impressive.Wish they did more than Canadian airports. Almost worth buying and making an excuse to fly to Canada every now and again for such nice scenery. Like the hangars with the doors that open. That is something I have been wanting for my own local airports.

jmig
May 30th, 2010, 07:18
I just order the airport scenery. After downloading it and looking at the manual it says that I MUST have the Halifax Scenery installed.

I may have missed it but, I didn't see anything on the site that stated this before ordering. I don't fly airliners and don't need the Halifax airport.

BeaverDriver
May 30th, 2010, 07:55
I just order the airport scenery. After downloading it and looking at the manual it says that I MUST have the Halifax Scenery installed.

I may have missed it but, I didn't see anything on the site that stated this before ordering. I don't fly airliners and don't need the Halifax airport.

Yeah, they do state that on the site in the main window I'm afraid. Being from Canada, I really want to get this, but as their forum is closed to outsiders, it was pretty hard to tell if it has any serious issues (like, it looks nice but you can't actually run it). I've pretty much decided to get it because I like all the airports they are doing.

On the bit about having to get Halifax though, the Halifax scenery package also includes Yarmouth and Sydney, so you are getting a couple of smallish airports as well with that. It's a decent deal from the looks of it.