PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Diagnostic tools

Crusader
November 13th, 2008, 17:05
Anyone recommend a good hardware diagnostic test program ? Do any of them include the PSU ? I think I might be having a PSU starting to die . I've read on various tech forums that PSU's are more prone to failure that any other components. I currently have aThermaLake ToughPower 1000W so it's more than adequate for my needs. 500 gig SATAll HD , 2 DVD's , 2 external WD HD's . A NVidia 8800 . The PC powers off occassionally and it is starting to take alot longer to power up now . Heat is not a problem(6 fans and a CoolMaster Liquid CPU Cooler). Ive had this system eleven months so I have one more left on the part . I always thought ThermaLake was fairly good but I quess PSU's can go anytime .

Rich

hey_moe
November 13th, 2008, 17:38
Rich, are you overclocked ? Also it sounds more like something is breaking down. Does the system reboot when this happens or does the pooter shut 100% down.

Wozza
November 13th, 2008, 23:48
Hi
Try Speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
It will (depending on M/B sensor chip)90% of the time give you the power rail voltages at the M/B.Watch the 12 volt rail as you work the pooter hard,try running a sim in window mode playing a cd in the dvd player and defrag the HDrive :D

If it drops around or below 11.3 volts then it could be ya power supply.I was talking to a mate (works in IT)of mine the other day and between us we have had 8 PSU go pop in the last 12mth,all different brand some high end stuff,all had blown caps and sign's of bulging cap syndrome ;)
Cheers
Wozza

Crusader
November 14th, 2008, 02:47
Rich, are you overclocked ? Also it sounds more like something is breaking down. Does the system reboot when this happens or does the pooter shut 100% down.

hey_moe , (Not Overclocked)
I get the BSOD with"uncorrectable hardware error" then the puter reboots its self . I also discovered My sound card quit working(Also not recognised by windows) . I poped it out of its current slot and put into another and it worked . I quess I could have a bad slot right ? I've read there is always something called a IQ conflct:isadizzy: which I don't have the slightess idea what that is and do not want to know . I have the ASUS Striker Extreme nForce 680i so I looked on the back of the puter and the little LED readout said PCI 1111(Which I assume is some error code:isadizzy:) . I do have another month on the parts warranty but I very reluctant to RMA the puter back(I"m probably not able replace the board myself with the liquid coolerand stuff without screwing something up) . Once the computer gets the error , reboots , I really never have any more problems . I've got a couple extra slots so I can live with one dead slot unless this means others will follow . Everything works ,Ive been flying 2-3 hours under heavy load without problems . I currently have everything plugged into a pretty good APS . I really don''t experience alot of power serges here . I'm about to say the hell with the one bad PCI slot and go on .

Rich

hey_moe
November 14th, 2008, 13:06
Rich it is very easy to replace the MB. Once you lay the tower on the side everything else is all quick disconnect.

Crusader
November 14th, 2008, 13:48
Thanks , I may give it a shot . I've seen it done a few times and I think if I'm careful I might be able to pull it out .

I'll let you know how it turns out ,

Rich

aeronca1
November 29th, 2008, 07:31
Rich it is very easy to replace the MB. Once you lay the tower on the side everything else is all quick disconnect.

True enough! One word of advice from one who has just gone through a similar replacement process, label ALL the connectors. My system has 5 case fans, a CPU fan and the front LCD display. Whomever wired it originally, did a great job of hiding most of the wiring behind the motherboard tray and drive enclosures. When I recently had to replace the power supply, it was a load of fun (read: learned a lot of new curse words) trying to recreate the spaghetti circular connections to get everything running. Also in the process, I finally noticed that the top fan was blowing in rather than up.....