PDA

View Full Version : Nothing ruins a good evening of fishing...

OBIO
May 28th, 2010, 20:48
like being out fished by your wife.

This evening, Deb and I took a stroll across the meadow to the pond to do some fishing. I got her rod ready, baited the hook and set her loose while I went to work on my rod...needed to retie my Texas-rig hook. Every time I got into making a good knot, Deb would start hollering "I got one". Took me at least 15 minutes just to get my knot tied and my rod ready to go...and in that time she had caught close to 8 fish....7 Blue Gill/Sunfish and one Large Mouth Bass that was around a foot long. This was the pattern for the entire fishing trip...about the time I got my 4-inch blue curl tail plastic worm cast into the pond to coax out a few Bass for myself...Deb would have another fish on the line. I spent far more time taking fish off her hook and rebaiting her hook than I did fishing....that is until she goes "I'm tired of catching more fish than you...so I'm going to take a break." How very nice of her!

I did manage to tie into 5 Bass....3 that were right at 12 inches, one that was pushing 14 inches and one that was 16 inches or close enough for government work. All males...had those nice torpedo shaped bodies. The females are busy tending their nests and aren't feeding.

Deb's final catch tally: Two 12-inch Bass and easily 25 Blue Gill/Sunfish...maybe even as many as 35.....we both lost count. And she caught them all from almost the exact same spot. It was like every fish in the pond had converged on that one 2 foot diameter spot of the pond and was awaiting its turn to be caught by her.

It was fun watching Deb catch all those fish and seeing her smile as she fought them into to the bank. The Bass really gave her a nice fight, as did the larger Blue Gill and Sunfish. She was good and tired when we left the pond for the night.

OBIO

tonybones2112
May 28th, 2010, 21:07
like being out fished by your wife.

This evening, Deb and I took a stroll across the meadow to the pond to do some fishing. I got her rod ready, baited the hook and set her loose while I went to work on my rod...needed to retie my Texas-rig hook. Every time I got into making a good knot, Deb would start hollering "I got one". Took me at least 15 minutes just to get my knot tied and my rod ready to go...and in that time she had caught close to 8 fish....7 Blue Gill/Sunfish and one Large Mouth Bass that was around a foot long. This was the pattern for the entire fishing trip...about the time I got my 4-inch blue curl tail plastic worm cast into the pond to coax out a few Bass for myself...Deb would have another fish on the line. I spent far more time taking fish off her hook and rebaiting her hook than I did fishing....that is until she goes "I'm tired of catching more fish than you...so I'm going to take a break." How very nice of her!

I did manage to tie into 5 Bass....3 that were right at 12 inches, one that was pushing 14 inches and one that was 16 inches or close enough for government work. All males...had those nice torpedo shaped bodies. The females are busy tending their nests and aren't feeding.

Deb's final catch tally: Two 12-inch Bass and easily 25 Blue Gill/Sunfish...maybe even as many as 35.....we both lost count. And she caught them all from almost the exact same spot. It was like every fish in the pond had converged on that one 2 foot diameter spot of the pond and was awaiting its turn to be caught by her.

It was fun watching Deb catch all those fish and seeing her smile as she fought them into to the bank. The Bass really gave her a nice fight, as did the larger Blue Gill and Sunfish. She was good and tired when we left the pond for the night.

OBIO

My friend, why are you fishing when you could be working?

I am somewhat esoteric and unique in my beliefs, and fishing is one of those things I have strong feelings about:

I believe the Constitution should be amended that all documented natural-born and naturalized citizens of the US should be forced by federal law to own at least one handgun.
I believe, in spite of all anthopological and archeological evidence to the contrary, that The Flintstone were real.
I believe cancer is contagious. If you do not want it, stay away from people who have it.
I believe life is too short for:
Fishing
Country music
Morse code

There are a few fishing holes left around here, I need to make up another batch of M-80s.

Bones

Willy
May 28th, 2010, 22:01
I've got used to my wife catching more fish than me. But at least Vickie baits her own hook and takes the fish off too.

Cazzie
May 29th, 2010, 00:30
Good on Deb OBIO. LOL

I'm kinda like Bones when it comes to fishing and golf, life is too short for either, they take too much time and both are far more frustrating than rewarding for my type-A personality. I want things that can be done quick, cycling for example. I have to have that adrenaline rush.

But now country music, and by that I mean "real" country music (not this snivelly bee-atch music they pass off as country today) Bones, we might have to fight (with an emphasis on the "i") 'bout that! :d

Tell ya what, let's go shoot some fish, while I listen to some country in my iPod, you won't even have to listen. Carp make good targets and they're not worth a sheet to eat. Shoot a few and give the other carp something to eat. Learned how to shoot fish with a bow first, then a rifle. Rather shoot them with a rifle from a longer range, more of a challenge.

Caz

stansdds
May 29th, 2010, 03:48
I have not been fishing in... 10 years. :frown:

cheezyflier
May 29th, 2010, 07:07
obio, you need to be tying a quicker knot. if you tie a palomar, it's fast, and does not reduce line strength like the improved clinch that most people use.

http://fishcopia.com/files/palomar_knot.jpg

Ken Stallings
May 29th, 2010, 07:42
OBIO, nothing can ruin a good evening of fishing. It's impervious to ruining! :engel016:

Ken

Matt Wynn
May 29th, 2010, 08:21
OBIO, nothing can ruin a good evening of fishing. It's impervious to ruining! :engel016:

Ken

I agree entirely with you there Ken,
i do enjoy my fishing, and i also enjoy playing Golf (Up to 6 times a week, dependant on evenings & Commitments), of which i play 36 holes on a Saturday and Sunday... fishing... heck upwards of 18 hours i'll spend sat by a lakeside or by a river/canal/coast...

Snuffy
May 29th, 2010, 08:29
My friend, why are you fishing when you could be working?

I am somewhat esoteric and unique in my beliefs, and fishing is one of those things I have strong feelings about:

I believe the Constitution should be amended that all documented natural-born and naturalized citizens of the US should be forced by federal law to own at least one handgun.
I believe, in spite of all anthopological and archeological evidence to the contrary, that The Flintstone were real.
I believe cancer is contagious. If you do not want it, stay away from people who have it.
I believe life is too short for:
Fishing
Country music
Morse code

There are a few fishing holes left around here, I need to make up another batch of M-80s.

Bones

'

+2.

If (I should say when,) I fish, I take a good book. Basically all I'm doing is feeding the fish.

Mickey D
May 29th, 2010, 09:32
So you're supposed to CATCH 'em? That's what I've been doing wrong. DOH!!:banghead:

OBIO
May 29th, 2010, 16:05
obio, you need to be tying a quicker knot. if you tie a palomar, it's fast, and does not reduce line strength like the improved clinch that most people use.

Cheezy

I grew up using the Clinch Knot...that's the knot dear old Dad taught me to tie, so that is the knot that I tie. Though his life long friend and fishing partner used the Palomar Knot....I think I will switch to it since it is a much faster knot to tie...and as you stated, so not reduce the strength of monofilament fishing line.

OBIO

GT182
May 29th, 2010, 18:34
Yep, a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work. ;)

I haven't been fishing in almost 20 years. That makes my gear is almost antique. And I've got a new flyrod that's not made anymore.... and never been unwrapped. :crybaby:

OBIO
May 29th, 2010, 19:14
I went down to the pond again this evening, after getting back from the lake (eating, boating and jet skiing). Deb said she was tired and didn't want to go fishing..so I went down alone. Caught nine Bass and one Blue Gill.

It was one of those times when all seems right in the world. The temp had dropped and was starting to get that evening chill, there was just a very slight breeze..not enough to disturb the surface of the pond but just enough to feel good against my skin. Very very quiet...no car or plane traffic, no dogs barking...just the sounds of the birds and crickets. The sun was toward the western sky, and as it set, it was reflected on the surface of the pond. Then the first visible star made its appearance in the sky...and it too was reflected on the surface of the water. First one bat, then 5 or 6 others, began circling about catching and eating the insects. One bat came flying directly at my face, then did a diving 270 degree turn and, going under my line, skimmed just across the surface of the pond getting a drink...I have seen pictures of bats drinking like that but never seen it in real life until this evening. I fished until I could no longer see my line. I came back up to the house, carried some water down to my tomato plants and gave them a good soaking.