PDA

View Full Version : Sata drive not showing

stiz
May 28th, 2010, 04:18
I brought a 2nd hard drive which arrived today, however, as per the title, its not showing up in windows.

I want it so its a slave to the current one (which is also SATA), heres how i have it set up.

The drive i want to be the "main" in the SATA 0 slot on the motherboard
new drive in the SATA 1 slot on motherboard

I took a glance in the bios and took a quick look around but its totally different from what i'm used to so didnt dig to deep, i saw 1 sata drive and my dvd drive but nothing else, all the other settings are "auto" .. which i'm gonna guess is autodetect??

Motherboard is:- Gigabyte EG41MF-US2H, using winXP

Moparmike
May 28th, 2010, 05:32
If it's not showing up in your BIOS, suspect the SATA cable or powercable to the drive. Swap in another cable and/or try another plug off of the power supply

stiz
May 28th, 2010, 13:22
ok after a bit of digging turns out it was being recogonized by the bios and being the silly sod that i am i didnt notice. Can now see it in disk management and am now formating ... wonder how long it takes to do a TB *starts watch* :running:

stansdds
May 29th, 2010, 03:33
It takes a while, I partitioned my new 1 TB drive, figuring that it is unlikely that I will need a whole TB for one application, at least in the near future.

stiz
May 29th, 2010, 11:58
for those intrested, took around 5hrs :running: