http://www.break.com/index/awesome-f1-simulator.html

Lionheart
May 27th, 2010, 22:38
That is wild, lolol...

Pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

TARPSBird
May 27th, 2010, 23:00
Pretty cool rig but I don't understand all the pitch and yaw movement. For F1 wouldn't most of the movement be two-dimensional, i.e up and down and side to side???

Astoroth
May 27th, 2010, 23:05
Pretty cool rig but I don't understand all the pitch and yaw movement. For F1 wouldn't most of the movement be two-dimensional, i.e up and down and side to side???

My thoughts exactly, that looks more like a flight sim motion than F1......drool...

Cazzie
May 28th, 2010, 01:33

Same here TARPS, I have had the pleasure and privilege of driving the VIR Viper Tech driving simulator and it truly simulates all g-force effects, bumps in the road, uphills, downhills, etc., but "never" pitches and yaws like that. It's "very" expensive, more costly than that contraption, but crikey almighty, it'll make you spot your trousers!

Check out this comparison between the real thing and the Viper Sim. Viper Sim uses iRacing for their simulation engine. I helped layout the course for the sim two years ago. We started with Bob's Track Builder, but elevated to a much more concise program that even allows every little bump in the road to be simulated. If it were not for the driver's hands being static, it would really be hard to tell real from fake.

Caz

Cn96JwbB1Ag

kilo delta
May 28th, 2010, 03:22
Check out the link in this thread for more info on this simulator....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32915

:)

aeromed202
May 28th, 2010, 03:38
I want a sim one, as long as it come with barf bags. I can just see the wife watching me through a cracked door yelling "It's November, when are you getting off that thing!!??"

Maybe I better not.

Ferry_vO
May 28th, 2010, 06:55

To simulate the g-force when braking and accelerating the sim pitches forward and backwards. To simulate the g-force in the turns the sim platforms yaws left and right. I've been inside something similar (But enclosed and with more seats) where they showed a movie of Gerhard Berger (IIRC) doing a lap in his F1 car round the track of Spa-Francorchamps, and once in an older F1 car (Bleekemolen/Coparsucar I believe) round Zandvoort. Both were awesome 'rides', but the simulated G-effects on your body will probably work better when you can't see the outside world I think.

And yes, I want one! Can you mount a joystick on it too and use it for FS?

:d

Cazzie
May 28th, 2010, 11:21
I notice looking at the video that despite the motion of the apparatus, the driver )operator) does not jerk about as much. If one keeps his eyes focused on the screen, one's brain does not detect that much motion either. The Viper Simulator at VIR works on gimbals to give the same effect and it "will" jerk you about with harsh movements, you "need" a five-point harness! :icon_lol:

It can be programed for different gear ratios, NASCAR gearboxes, all formula gearboxes, even use paddle shifters. I know it was a hoot the night I went down with my brother and got to test one. They had seven at the time, not counting the one static they use for displays. I wouldn't even bring up price, this is technology only the very rich can afford. It's as close as I'll ever get to driving a real race car!

Caz

Bjoern
May 28th, 2010, 11:32
The video description is funny. :d

Snuffy
May 28th, 2010, 11:53
Give me a full working 4 power plant throttle quadrant on a pedestal with it and I might take it!!

Lionheart
May 28th, 2010, 12:57
On the confusion of pitch, if you close your eyes and imagine yourself in a car, and that you hit the breaks... if the machine pitches forward, your face is pulling downward or with your eyes closed, forward, making your brain think you are pulling a lateral G forward which would be simulating moderate braking.

Pitching back would pull you back in the chair, pushing you back, making you think you were accellerating.

Now, if you have a aircraft hood on so you couldnt see anything but the screen, you could probably get pretty car sick, lol...