PDA

View Full Version : RIP Lt John Finn

strikehawk
May 27th, 2010, 15:10
The recipient of the first MoH awarded in WWII and the oldest living recipient passed away today. Lt. Finn was a living legend and inspiration to the US Navy's Aviation Ordnance rate.

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-05-27/local-county-news/navy-lt-john-finn-oldest-wwii-honor-recipient-dies

IYAOYAS! RIP :salute:

Ken Stallings
May 27th, 2010, 16:36
I believe that in the movie, "Tora, Tora, Tora," the action of Lt Finn that earned him the CMOH was portrayed by the actor firing the machine gun in front of the PBY that was bombed and exploded. It was a memorable scene without any background offered except the exploit played out. But I am confident that was representing Lt Finn's heroism.

Ken

N2056
May 27th, 2010, 16:43
R.I.P. Lt Finn. Thank You for all that you did for us :salute:

TARPSBird
May 27th, 2010, 20:32
RIP Chief Finn!

Snuffy
May 28th, 2010, 03:02
8911 :unitedstates:

safn1949
May 28th, 2010, 07:39
Job well done sir.:unitedstates:

strikehawk
May 28th, 2010, 16:24
I believe that in the movie, "Tora, Tora, Tora," the action of Lt Finn that earned him the CMOH was portrayed by the actor firing the machine gun in front of the PBY that was bombed and exploded. It was a memorable scene without any background offered except the exploit played out. But I am confident that was representing Lt Finn's heroism.

Ken

You are right about that scene, it wasn't until I was well into my Naval career that I learned the significance of it. The Lt. has been one of my few heroes since I became an Ordnanceman and his actions are an example what all Sailors should strive to be.

Panther_99FS
May 28th, 2010, 16:37
:medals: