PDA

View Full Version : I Hate to Ask - Honoring Local Vets

MenendezDiego
May 26th, 2010, 20:10
Hello,

Recently I was given an HGU-55 helmet shell from one of my instructors as a gift (Afghanistan Campaign Vet). I was not sure what to do with the shell, then it occurred to me.

There are a lot of veterans who work at my school. We have a Marine who was pronounced dead, and brought back to life, a B-52 Captain who took part in Linebacker II, numerous Iraqi Freedom Marines, F-4C pilot who flew in Nam, F-15/F-18 pilot who served in such places as Elmendorf, NAS Oceana, Ramstein, etc. We also have an instructor who partook in the B-1B evaluations, flew B-52's prior, and did a tour with the Australians flying F-18's. I could go on about the individuals I encounter every day, who sacrificed everything to protect our country and all of the free world.

My idea is to, with your help (seeing as how others students aren't interested), to bring back the HGU-55 back to life, and present the helmet to the Veterans at our up coming fly in. All those who partake will be recognized.

Parts I need to finish the job...well everything lol. I've been looking around on eBay, and have found many great deals.

If you are able to make a contribution/donation, that would be fantastic, and can be done via paypal (fishbed22@hotmail.com is the account).

If not, I'd still like to hear from you with any advice or words you'd like to be said to the Vets during the presentation.

Many thanks! Diego

Our school is located in Eastman, Georgia. Middle Georgia College Aviation Department.

The fly in is June 12th, starting at 10 a.m. If you're in the area feel free to stop by and see some cool airplanes!

P.S. here is the helmet as of now. I went ahead and put on white reflective tape, as the shell was pretty beat up on the outside

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs313.ash1/27812_10150198951720626_805540625_12770950_5777592 _n.jpg

tigisfat
May 26th, 2010, 20:52
What are you planning on buying with the money people donate?

MenendezDiego
May 26th, 2010, 21:00
Things I need:

1) Chin Strap/Pad
2) Nape Strap/Pad
3) Visor/Visor Stops
4) Head Liner
5) Earseals (padding around the earphones)
6) O2 Mask Reciever
7) MBU-12/P if enough people help (that will be the last purchase)
8) and any other small details I've missed

Regards, Diego

MenendezDiego
May 26th, 2010, 21:07
Also, the helmet will be put on display in the front lobby in a glass case for all to see