PDA

View Full Version : FDG2 Donationware F4U-1 "Birdcage"

expat
May 26th, 2010, 06:33
I don't - others do - mind portovers if it only means the odd few issues and fixes. Often the results are well worth it and the FDG2 Donationware Corsair (FS9) actually works pretty well in FSX. I have the A2A bird but want the Birdcage version for flying in the Solomons.

I want to try another prop blur texture that looks right in FSX (common portover issue). Problem is, I can't tell which texture does this - or - whether there ever was a separate texture at all affecting prop blur for this plane.

Banana Bob did a texture - soh_donationware_prop.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=BananaBob&ammm=15&pap=4#download) - purportedly for ALL FDG2 props - which is here in the archive - but you get an error message if you try to download it so I have not been able to try it out. That is not really a problem, as I have others that can easily be borrowed (e.g., the A2A prop blur on DCC's P-38 looks great in FSX b/t/w).

What is strange is that other FDG2 a/c, e.g. Wildcat, Mitchell DO have a separate prop texture "prop_US.bmp" but the FDG Hog does not. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this just built into the model (as with some a/c lights) and can't be modded at all?

Thanks

expat

falcon409
May 26th, 2010, 06:43
Expat, I know there are default prop textures in the main FSX texture folder, I wonder if, in this case, the model is calling up that prop texture. Just a thought, unless, as you say, for some reason the prop on that one airplane was part of the mdl file.

expat
May 26th, 2010, 07:33
there are default prop textures in the main FSX texture folder, I wonder if, in this case, the model is calling up that prop texture

Was wondering about that too Ed. Thing is those files in the main texture folder work fine for e.g. default and native FSX planes (to the extent there is nothing in the individual a/c texture folders) but not for all for FS9 ports - which is why people use alternative prop blur textures for some FS9 ports. This is probably more of a texture name-mapping question, than a question of sourcing a good/better texure that does prop blur.

I did find the static prop texture included on the main fuselage texture bmp. Have heard of static texturing included in model files - which can't be changed easily - but not the moving/blur textures, but that may be possible.

Thanks for you response.

expat

roger-wilco-66
May 26th, 2010, 09:42
Nice head-up, where do get that bird cage Corsair? All links I tried to follow were dead ends.
I'd like to give that beast a try.

Cheers,
Mark

expat
May 26th, 2010, 10:00
Bought it here back before it became freeware. Try the Library/Donationware - it's there under FDG2 Corsairs for FS9.

Mark - left you a PM re beta feedback.

Cheers.

expat

expat
May 26th, 2010, 10:16
BINGO!!

Got it. Needed to shut down FS and restart for the new file to take effect. Changing my fav "prop.dds" to, in this case, "prop_us.dds" did the trick.

Cheers.

expat