PDA

View Full Version : "Ramblin'-Reck-Tew" skin for Taccoli/TR/Bub's F-80 Shooting Star uploaded!

kelticheart
May 25th, 2010, 23:33
A good day to everybody! :wavey:

I just uploaded in the "CFS2-skins" section a fuselage repaint for Massimo Taccoli's Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star, recently updated by Tom Sanford a.k.a. TANGO_ROMEO, and available at:

http://www.simviation.com

The repaint depicts F-80C-10-LO, FT-705, "Ramblin'-Reck-Tew", of 35th Fighter Bomber Squadron (FBS), 8th Fighter Bomber Wing (FBW), based at Itazuke AB, Japan, during June 1950, which was flown by Lt. Robert H. Dewald.

Lt. Dewald scored one of the first jet kills of the Korean conflict at the expense of a North Korean Ilyushin IL-10 in the afternoon of June 27th, 1950. This IL-10 was part of a North Korean fighter bomber flight trying to strafe transport aircrafts on the ground at Kimpo. The dogfight took place slightly to the north of Kimpo, along the Naktong River. That day marked the beginning of aerial warfare over the Korean skies, having the North Korean army crossed the 38th parallel and invaded South Korea only two days before.

Skin adaptation of SOH's member Robert McGee's, a.k.a. BUB, updated new natural metal finish F-80 repaint pack available at: www.simviation.com (http://www.simviation.com). I only copied Lt. Dewald's personal insignia and aircraft serial numbers from Bub's previous May 2007 FT-705 repaint, on Bub's plain Shooting Star skin, included in his F-80 skin pack.

This pack contains just the fuselage repaint for FT-705, you will find the wing textures and every other necessary texture file in Bub's F-80 Shooting Star latest repaint pack.

Let me add a word about TR's recent release of the early F-80 teardrop shaped wingtip droptanks. Although it's undoubtedly true Shooting Star original 165 US gal. wingtip droptanks had this shape, they did not carry enough fuel to allow the long flights from Japan airbases hosting the F-80 groups at the beginning of the Korean conflict.

I quote from "Wings of Fame", volume 1, 1995 Aerospace Publishing Ltd.: "With a total fuel load of 750 US gal., including early teardrop shaped droptanks, a F-80 had a combat radius of 506 miles. Flying from Japan, Shooting Stars could remain over Seoul for only 15 minutes. Teardrop tanks were hastily replaced by the 230 US gal. "Misawa" tanks, obtained by combining this design with the cylindrical centre section of another Fletcher tank." Misawa airbase, in northern Japan, was home of the F-80 49th Fighter Bomber Group and the furthest away from the Korean front.

Therefore, Taccoli's "Misawa" droptanks, part of the original "Seductive Shirley" 51st FIW Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star model, are historically correct for the Korean war.

Enjoy!
KH :ernae:

Ravenna
May 26th, 2010, 16:28
Thanks Kelti. This will make a fine addition to the Korean War install. Like you I have kept the original drop tanks for the F-80 in Korean skies. Of course, your exhaust effects also add greatly to the impact of this fine aircraft.
:ernae: