PDA

View Full Version : OK, soo, i took the plunge this week

warchild
May 25th, 2010, 18:36
and started learning hw to at least do a route and use all the tools available for scenery.. its been fun.. kinda ( think i'm getting carple tunnel from planting trees :;chuckles:; ).
anywayyy, its not much, but i hope you enjoy it.. :)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Screenshot_flueghausen_0.jpg

Snuffy
May 26th, 2010, 03:09
Real route or make believe?

Real Geo data or just physically manipulating the canvas?

Very Picturesque!!

Those Locos don't seem to be working very hard ... not much exhaust blowing out while climbing that grade.

BTW ... I think there is a "block" function for planting trees Pam ... saves planting them individually.

Henry
May 26th, 2010, 05:49
looking great
H:ernae:

Lionheart
May 26th, 2010, 10:04
Looking good Pam! Man, from train enthusiast, to train painter, to route creator in 2 weeks..... Dang...!

warchild
May 26th, 2010, 10:52
::chuckles:: Thanks Bill..:)
The route is entireley make believe. Without a basic understanding of how things work, programs like redem scare me.. Thats reaching a level of complexity in exectuion i just dont comprehend. At least, not yet. Hell, I couldnt ( and cant ) even make a tunnel. Theres a place about five miles down from this photo where the track loops up and over itself. so instead of a tunnel, which just didnt work at all, i've got what has to be the worlds tallest trestle.. The goal is to be able to someday do the rail that connects reno to sacramento which goes through donner and snakes around the mountain tops. With ten thousand foot clifts and 15000 foot mountains, its some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, But frankly, i'm scared i'll be too stupid to figure it out. I'll ruin it somehow.. So i'll start with this little run and learn all the tools and things first ( maybe even figure out how to make a junction and switch ). Then later I'll tackle redem and figure out how to import it all into railworks.

gajit
May 26th, 2010, 10:52
Good stuff - im sure i recognise that mountain :jump:

Snuffy
May 26th, 2010, 12:29
It took me about 3 weeks to figure Redem out Pam! But then I'm not as smart as you are.

Henry
May 26th, 2010, 12:40
i have just been laying track to see how
track track everywhere but none connect
LOL
H

warchild
May 26th, 2010, 13:11
Wellllll, i'm thinking about learning how to do junctions and switches after i finish up with my work today..
heheh.. i'm so proud of myself.. :).. The JFTC team has gotten so good that i'm finally comfortable letting someone else do a planes flight model.. Jeremey is an old time Iris Fan and loves the typhoon, and has wanted to work on flight models for some time. So, with Paul and i in the instructor roles, he'll be doing the flight model on the typhoon.. I'm proud of my team, but i'm also delighted at the fact that i'll now have just a little more time to do things like railworks, and watching the clouds go by :)..

This route is going to become a test route. Theres a 10 degree grade on the other end that will push any train to its limits and i'm hoping to build in a full blown rail yard as well. just noit all at once.. Should be fun :) :) ..
Pam

traindriver98
May 29th, 2010, 09:27
Looks like Rock Island DD-40's to me, nice job.:salute: To bad they never used them, would like to have seen them in El Paso.

warchild
May 29th, 2010, 19:52
::chuckles:; Thanks traindriver.. i dont know that the rock goes down that far.. but yeahhh.. I have just gotten sick to death of yellow and grey loco's.. specifically UP yellow.. Ots current map has it heading towards the northwest parraleling CNW.. Kinda... I gre up next to thier tracks so they became my immediate favorites, only, when i was growing up was the fifties and sixties and their freight and yard equipment was not only an ugly poo brown, ( they call it red ) but in horrible condition.. It took a conversation with George Cockle to change my attitude..

So anyway, i've gotten a little bit more done.. learned a bit more, made a lot ,more mistakes, creatively thought my way around a problem with one engine not displaying, painted as rs-3 and an sw-1200 both in rock livery.. i've got about 60 miles of track laid. one completed loop and a couple mainlines that i'm gonna work on poece by piece.. and yup, i can now do switches and junctions.. heh. i'm all proud.. :)..
Enjoy :)..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Screenshot_High-Desert-_2.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Screenshot_High-Desert-_1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Screenshot_HighDesert_-001015--0014.png

Snuffy
May 30th, 2010, 03:33
Nice!

Mine is no where near that. Still.

warchild
May 30th, 2010, 11:03
::cchuckles:; yeah, but i'm retired and disabled snuffy, little more than a talking head.. All i do all day is numbers and lay track, and those days can ge very lengthy because i'm a spoiled brat on top of it all and never go to bed when i should ::lol;l i swear, its true.. ::LOL::.. Gonna find a way to work this little place into the layout now that i'm a little more confident with switches and junctions..

Just hope i dont get lost ::LOL::

Henry
May 30th, 2010, 15:26
::cchuckles:; yeah, but i'm retired and disabled snuffy, little more than a talking head.. All i do all day is numbers and lay track, and those days can ge very lengthy because i'm a spoiled brat on top of it all and never go to bed when i should ::lol;l i swear, its true.. ::LOL::.. Gonna find a way to work this little place into the layout now that i'm a little more confident with switches and junctions..

Just hope i dont get lost ::LOL::
Jees a goil with no discipline
whats next?:wavey:
good one
thanks
H

Snuffy
May 30th, 2010, 16:55
Make sure you learn how to use the offset function .... It'll save you tons of time. ;)

warchild
May 31st, 2010, 12:06
i have just been laying track to see how
track track everywhere but none connect
LOL
H

Theres a trick i developed for that. The simple form of it is that when you have three quarters of a loop done, you can lay track from each end of the loop in straight lines and they will cross over each other ( so you can find them.. Then, back up a ways from where they cross and lay in another piece of curved track to complete the loop, and delete the extra track..

warchild
May 31st, 2010, 12:11
Make sure you learn how to use the offset function .... It'll save you tons of time. ;)

Thanks snuffy.. I'll give it a shot.. Still building a mountain at the moment though.. that lil bitty bump is just a beginning I've been hassling with textures and scenery objects the last couple days. They're a pain in the butt since you cant control the flow on the paontbrush, and the scenery objects are non conforming and often hang in mid air ( which i cant stand )..