PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Angels F-4 videos

tigisfat
May 23rd, 2010, 23:02
lzm45r2t10g

deathfromafar
May 23rd, 2010, 23:26
Nice find! Never saw the Blues flew the Phantom, saw the T-Birds in their F-4E's though. Is something I will never forget. The Blues had a short tenure withe the F-4J which was marked by tragedy and rough luck with maintenance issues. The T-Birds fared a good bit better and flew the Phantom up to 1973. The Arab Oil Embargo helped can the Phantom. Put it this way, just one Phantom with 2 GE J-79's consumed about the same amount of fuel as all 6 T-38A's during a single airshow! Under the circumstances of that time, the guzzlers had to go.

If you haven't seen Mike Jacobssen's Thunderbird F-4E Collection, stop in here for a ride into the past Phabulous Phantom History!

http://www.highgallery.com/AirForceThunderbirdsF-4E.html

Bjoern
May 24th, 2010, 06:46
Those flying bricks somehow make the stunts much more exciting than the Hornet.

safn1949
May 24th, 2010, 07:36
Those flying bricks somehow make the stunts much more exciting than the Hornet.
And you would know it's a "brick" at 24 how? You seem to be quite the expert on just how bad our equipment is at that age,how did you get so smart and experienced?

Navy Chief
May 24th, 2010, 07:38
The Phantom just parked on the flight line looked fast!

A bad**s combat jet.... and a blast to ride back seat in!!!!

NC

Bjoern
May 24th, 2010, 08:56
And you would know it's a "brick" at 24 how? You seem to be quite the expert on just how bad our equipment is at that age,how did you get so smart and experienced?

I've used the term in an affectionate manner, not a deprecative one.

The F-4 is a long-time favourite of mine. And I call it a Mach 2+ brick with wings like others call it the Rhino, Phabulous, etc...

(Also, my country still operates the Double Ugly.)

tigisfat
May 24th, 2010, 11:55
I've used the term in an affectionate manner, not a deprecative one.

The F-4 is a long-time favourite of mine. And I call it a Mach 2+ brick with wings like others call it the Rhino, Phabulous, etc...

(Also, my country still operates the Double Ugly.)

:salute:

Brian_Gladden
May 24th, 2010, 16:09
A former co-worker of mine (Back when I worked as a ramp rat) was a former Blue Angel. Dave was a crew chief on #3 back in the phantom days. At that time, the CC's rode in the back seat. Dave once told me that they knew the formation was tight enough in the Phantoms when the skippers wingtip was tapping his canopy.

After Dave left the Navy, he used his GI bill and became a pilot. Retiring from United as a 757/67 instructor and now flies King Airs, Citation Excels and Challenger 604's for the company I used to work for.

Brian