PDA

View Full Version : Built a super pooter

hey_moe
May 22nd, 2010, 17:12
My best friend Pat has been bugging me to build him a fast pooter...including the tower we spent a tad over five grand. I brought top of the line of all the hardware. He called me up and said he transfered over 80 gigs in pictures in 7 mintes....lol...he is tickled pink. We went with the new Asus extreme 3 board, top of the line processor. 8 gig of DDR3 ram, 1200 watt power supply. Evga video card, Kandalf tower, two 1.5 WD back up drive, two 300gig WD Raptor drives in Raid0. I brought a 1.5 USB3 external drive for him as a gift. 2 BR drives, one recordable the other standard. He took a week off of work just to play with it...lol. He says it smokes and he is happy ...I guess that is all that matters.

Kiwikat
May 22nd, 2010, 17:16
5000 dollars!

I guess it is no worse than if I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-IV/dp/B002TG3ZYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274577284&sr=8-1

He'd better like it. Millions of people dream of having a computer like that. Which processor was used?

txnetcop
May 22nd, 2010, 18:06
I have said it before I will say it again...Now accepting donations
Ted

stansdds
May 23rd, 2010, 03:52
$5000 for a new computer? Wow! That's a lot of dough just to play solitaire. :icon_lol:

I bet that computer could do FSX justice.

David_L6
May 23rd, 2010, 13:10
Which processor was used?

I don't know, but since Mike said "top of the line", I'm guessing the Intel 980X. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115223&cm_re=Intel_980X-_-19-115-223-_-Product

I'd like to have a 980X but I can't justify a new build (and can't afford it!).

hey_moe
May 28th, 2010, 02:35
Sorry I hadn't had a chance to get back with you guys. We are having problems with Linda's dad....lol...parents....grins. Anyway Pat is tickled pick with how it runs and that is all that really matters. I had a high in video card and 8 gig of fast memory and a 1200 power supply but he wanted to buy all new hard ware. He also brought a 32 inch monitor to go with his new toy. That new USB3 really can move some data. We were playing with it and I was surprised how fast it can transfer files compared to the ESATA. It only took 13 minutes to install W7 he was also tickled how fast it also installed programs and all the MS updates. Pat doesn't play any games on his puter....he downloads pictures from his camera and shops on the internet....kinda of a high dollar pooter just for that huh? Pat is a HVAC tech at our company, never married, well off....like he said, what else am I gonna spend money on....must be nice...lol...Mike :wavey:

demorier
June 16th, 2010, 22:47
I got a friend like that to Moe...to much spare cash, I'm using an i3 myself. He's just going to the i7-985 processor....I did some homework, needs the newer ram and CMOS to handle the new type data streams. They are expensive things and like everything else with computing will be out of date in no time.