PDA

View Full Version : OT: What's that noise in the sky?

spotlope
May 22nd, 2010, 14:04
So I'm taking my dogs to the park for a romp this morning, and practically wrapped the car around a phone pole. I'm driving along, minding my own business when I hear the rumble of multiple radial engines - by the sound of 'em, at a pretty low altitude. I know all the usual planes heading into and out of PDX, and I could tell right away that this wasn't one of the usual suspects.

I crane my neck out the window, and what do I see a flash of disappearing behind a condo building? The unmistakable profile of a B-17! I did the rest of the drive with one eye on the road and one eye scanning the sky for another glimpse. Lucky for me, once we got to the park, the big 'Fort swung around and gave me a great view. Last I saw of it, it was headed back for what appeared to be Hillsboro airport (KHIO), with a rainstorm closing in fast behind it.

What a cool way to start a weekend.

glennc
May 22nd, 2010, 14:42
Bill, I know what you mean. the same thing happened to me last weekend but it was the grand-son of the B-17. The Cavanaught Flight Museum at Addison Airport (KADS) was doing an early Memorial Day event. They had two A-10s on static display, one flown my a home town boy that made good by the name of Chad Hennings. The airplane I heard was multi-engine turbine - a B-52 doing one low pass. It couldn't land - Addison can't handle anything that big.

Did you find out which B-17?

Glenn

limjack
May 22nd, 2010, 15:07
http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/event/b-17-flying-fortress-visit/156583/2010-05-22

You should go check it out and take it out for a spin. So cool when those aircraft fly over. Sends goosebumps everywhere!

Jim

txnetcop
May 22nd, 2010, 15:35
Ya gotta love the sound of a B-17! It just isn't something you hear everyday!
Ted

TeaSea
May 22nd, 2010, 15:43
Actually I used to hear the same noise everyday....

When I attended Lathrop High School in Fairbanks, Alaska, the Bureau of Land Management flew fire bombers out of Ft. Wainwright. Big old PB4Y2 Privateers rigged with tanks instead of bombs....flew over the city all summer.

Wonderful noise....