PDA

View Full Version : Jesus! Anyone seen this?

ijay
May 22nd, 2010, 14:02
<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" width="*">New! Shader Model 3.0 for FSX v1.5 (Performance Edition) </td> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> <!-- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/Link.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/esearch.php?DLID=148399) --> http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=148399) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=148399) </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=262868 </td> <td width="*"> File Description:
This package includes a replacement ShadersHLSL folder which has been updated to compile shaders using the newer DirectX Shader Model 3.0. FSX was released in 2006, and for compatibility reasons it did not include the latest DX technologies. Newer Video cards are designed and optimized to execute last generation DX9 shaders this mod will provide you with improved image quality and performance in FSX. Easy instalation instructions are provided.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" width="50%"><tbody><tr> <td width="25%">Filename:</td> <td width="75%">sm3_current_274662.zip</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">License:</td> <td width="75%">Freeware, limited distribution</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Added:</td> <td width="75%">22nd May 2010</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Downloads:</td> <td width="75%">507</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Author:</td> <td width="75%">Jesus Altuve</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Size:</td> <td width="75%">138kb</td></tr></tbody></table>

PRB
May 22nd, 2010, 14:05
Is that good? :icon_lol:

Ok, seriously, what will it do? Screen shots?

Skittles
May 22nd, 2010, 14:08
I'm fairly sure this only helps on ATI cards, and on very few cards at that.

ijay
May 22nd, 2010, 14:11
Is that good? :icon_lol:

Ok, seriously, what will it do? Screen shots?
Just trying it now, have not got ATI card,will let you know

CheckSix
May 22nd, 2010, 14:18
I tried on my Crossfired 5770's... No dice, load of old pish as we say. No frames increase, stutters all over the show.... Canned.

Skittles
May 22nd, 2010, 14:22
I tried on my Crossfired 5770's... No dice, load of old pish as we say. No frames increase, stutters all over the show.... Canned.

It's not old pish, it just doesn't work on your system.

ijay
May 22nd, 2010, 14:58
Jury is still out on this one. Oddly i get slightly better frame rates, but also some stuttering i didn't notice quite so much before.

CheckSix
May 22nd, 2010, 15:07
What system does it work on? I read no specifics in the read me... Infact from the general write up my system should see some benefit. Sorry chap but for ME it IS a load of old pish, if it works on others excellent.

falcon409
May 22nd, 2010, 15:23
Tried it on mine with an NVidia 9600GT. Texture redraws were faster and framerates around my "Proving Grounds" (New York City) were better than previous. It may be my imagination, but textures appeared to have more detail in them also. I didn't experience any adverse effects such as increased stuttering or lock ups. . .I've kept the original folder and files so I'm gonna go with this for awhile and see what happens.

The readme doesn't really specify any particular system that this works better with and since it's an FSX upgrade (technically), it should work with just about any system. But we all know how that goes since no two are alike, lol.:salute:

Dain Arns
May 22nd, 2010, 15:42
I'm guessing it would work best with Mr. Altuve's tweak. But just a guess IMHO.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=34661

Since I totally stripped out the old tweaks, and went to Jesus' settings, I can use portovers, glass cockpits, and PNW now with little to no loss of fps.
So I'm willing to try out this shader one as well tomorrow.

Roger
May 22nd, 2010, 16:01
I'm guessing it would work best with Mr. Altuve's tweak. But just a guess IMHO.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=34661

Since I totally stripped out the old tweaks, and went to Jesus' settings, I can use portovers, glass cockpits, and PNW now with little to no loss of fps.
So I'm willing to try out this shader one as well tomorrow.

Same here Dain,
Jesus Altuve tweaks have greatly improved my performance but I think the Shader tweak is mainly aimed at ATI cards.

PRB
May 22nd, 2010, 16:35
So what is it supposed to actually do for FS? Is it a "frame rate speeder-upper"? A "better shadow maker shower doer"? Add giant birds as AIs?

ijay
May 22nd, 2010, 16:35
Tried it on mine with an NVidia 9600GT. Texture redraws were faster and framerates around my "Proving Grounds" (New York City) were better than previous. It may be my imagination, but textures appeared to have more detail in them also. I didn't experience any adverse effects such as increased stuttering or lock ups. . .I've kept the original folder and files so I'm gonna go with this for awhile and see what happens.

The readme doesn't really specify any particular system that this works better with and since it's an FSX upgrade (technically), it should work with just about any system. But we all know how that goes since no two are alike, lol.:salute:
I'm with falcon on this one,tried my Nvidia GTS250,stuttering isn't really worse than before and isn't constant anyway.No harm done so far so will keep it for a while at least.
More detail found herehttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=283701

(http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=283701)

Roger
May 22nd, 2010, 17:01
Reading the threads for shaders, bufferpools = 0 and others on the Avsim FsX forums is an absolute must because just picking up the sound bytes could result in indifferent results.

gecko65
May 22nd, 2010, 18:18
Hmmm . . . tried this - turned all the default FSX planes, and a few of my addon a/c into ghosts.

Using a GTX 470

Operator error would be my guess :banghead:

[edit] and yes, it IS operator error - forgot to edit the cfg file (oh dopey me):redf:

Skittles
May 22nd, 2010, 19:05
Hmmm . . . tried this - turned all the default FSX planes, and a few of my addon a/c into ghosts.

Using a GTX 470

Operator error would be my guess :banghead:

[edit] and yes, it IS operator error - forgot to edit the cfg file (oh dopey me):redf:

Whether it works or not depends on a multitude of things.

Sometimes it doesn't get on with the ENB mod, and if you are using FSWC it won't work because FSWC is based on shader 2.0.

ColoKent
May 22nd, 2010, 19:40
....it has hosed up FSX, going back to the original files isn't working, so I'll be re-installing FSX the next time I have a few free hours (maybe in late June?).

I shouldn't have fallen for this, but I did.

And the sad thing is, I've GOT ATI hardware.

Kent

Skittles
May 22nd, 2010, 20:01
....it has hosed up FSX, going back to the original files isn't working, so I'll be re-installing FSX the next time I have a few free hours (maybe in late June?).

I shouldn't have fallen for this, but I did.

And the sad thing is, I've GOT ATI hardware.

Kent

If it has hosed everything up you had a corrupt install to start with.

If you revert to the original files then you completely revert to the original settings. Nothing has changed whatsoever.

You haven't 'fallen' for anything. It is not a trick or a scam.

ColoKent
May 22nd, 2010, 20:17
...I didn't insinuate anyone else was to blame. Sorry you misunderstood what I was saying. Let's move on...

Kent

falcon409
May 22nd, 2010, 20:37
Also, did you remember to change the numbers in the cfg file? The instructions noted that every time there was a change those numbers needed to change to force the system to rewrite.

ColoKent
May 22nd, 2010, 20:40
...I obviously hosed something up. I'll try the reinstall before I do anything so drastic as to reinstall FSX.

Thanks,

Kent

skyhawka4m
May 22nd, 2010, 20:52
ATI 5770m here also and its a very nice pick up for me. Darrington is running about 30 to 35 FPS now, I was at 20-25.

ColoKent
May 22nd, 2010, 20:55
....ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

So, we'll see....

Kent

falcon409
May 22nd, 2010, 21:15
Good luck Kent, hate to see you have to scratch your way back through all that.

michael davies
May 22nd, 2010, 23:59
If it has hosed everything up you had a corrupt install to start with.

If you revert to the original files then you completely revert to the original settings. Nothing has changed whatsoever.

You haven't 'fallen' for anything. It is not a trick or a scam.

Sadly it spanked my system too, huge stutters and flickery textures, removed the addon and reverted to the original files and ended up with white planes in a white enviroment and little square polys for effects. The problem seemed to be some file some where or an altered dll, cant see which one, but the ENB switch kept coming back no matter what I did, even though ENB.dll wasnt there any more ?.

Ended up taking all addons, scenery and aircraft out, deleting the fsx.cfg and starting afresh, so, in some cases it does screw your system up, and no, I'm no noob nor are the files corrupt, it just does not like my set up.

michael davies
May 23rd, 2010, 00:11
....ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

So, we'll see....

Kent

Funny, I have the 4870 Ice Q4 1Gb and its not happy here at all.

grunau_baby
May 23rd, 2010, 00:43
Installed it (without Jesus Altuveīs tweaks - got my own setup figured out over the years;-) and it works fine.

Running an NVDIA GeForce 8800 GTX, no cfg tweaks only increased Bufferpoolsize. DirectX 9, enbseries and FSWC.

Result for me: FSWC is not working, off course, otherwise enbseries allright. Textures seem much clearer and reflections seem to have improved. No stutter and maybe (thatīs just a feeling) slightly improved FPS. So Iīll keep it, though I miss FSWC.

Alex

michael davies
May 23rd, 2010, 01:09
Well, thought I'd give it another go, this time though the version is 1.5, my previous was 1.2/1.3 ?, anyway, without enb (thanks Grunau for reminding me what that was LOL, thought it was part of this tweak ! [palm slap] ) it seems to be working here now, not sure if its made any decidedly big improvements, water looks a little better and now I'm seeing some faint shadows from clouds on there, everything else looks as per normal and FPS still sits at 30 (locked), so we'll see how it goes.

halvar342
May 23rd, 2010, 01:27
Just tried this stuff. On my system it doesnt bring any improvement. But its worht a try anyway. Thanks for the head up on this. :salute:

ijay
May 23rd, 2010, 02:53
Well i've had a go with it and it did seem to give me some improvement in fps, but i just couldn't get on with the water reflections. Nice mod but not for me,will keep all the files etc. but have now reverted back to original set up. I do however have Nvidia card and the main improvements seem to be for ATI cards.:salute:

BOOM
May 23rd, 2010, 03:35
I agree Ijay,Your original pic looks much,much better:salute:

michael davies
May 23rd, 2010, 04:04
It seems to improve default more than REX visually IMHO.

Scratch
May 23rd, 2010, 08:29
Sadly it spanked my system too, huge stutters and flickery textures, removed the addon and reverted to the original files and ended up with white planes in a white enviroment and little square polys for effects. The problem seemed to be some file some where or an altered dll, cant see which one, but the ENB switch kept coming back no matter what I did, even though ENB.dll wasnt there any more ?.

Ended up taking all addons, scenery and aircraft out, deleting the fsx.cfg and starting afresh, so, in some cases it does screw your system up, and no, I'm no noob nor are the files corrupt, it just does not like my set up.

It did the same thing to mine.

GrinningJester
May 23rd, 2010, 08:57
Not sure where you're getting that this is ATi only.

DirectX is a lib utilized both by ATi and nVidia.

Bjoern
May 23rd, 2010, 09:41

ATI cards though were prone to FPS drops in clouds, due to their chip architecture. This shader patch very likely to fix that.

Scratch
May 23rd, 2010, 09:56
I'm in the process of fixing my installation after removing this tweak. I got rid of the ghost airplane problem, but know I have parts of aircraft sticking out all over where they should not be. Where in the cfg file do I need to alter the settings to fix this. I've had to do it before I just don't remember where it is.

Skittles
May 23rd, 2010, 10:04

...and they're designed completely differently. For whatever reason, the effect of this mod is much more profound on ATI cards than Nvidia.

michael davies
May 23rd, 2010, 10:16
I'm in the process of fixing my installation after removing this tweak. I got rid of the ghost airplane problem, but know I have parts of aircraft sticking out all over where they should not be. Where in the cfg file do I need to alter the settings to fix this. I've had to do it before I just don't remember where it is.

Just delete the whole cfg file and reboot FSx, it'll make its own new one, you will of course loose all your tweaks you've made so I recommend you make a copy of your old one first, then do the above, then read the old one and wirte the changes you want into the new one.

Scratch
May 23rd, 2010, 10:31
Just delete the whole cfg file and reboot FSx, it'll make its own new one, you will of course loose all your tweaks you've made so I recommend you make a copy of your old one first, then do the above, then read the old one and wirte the changes you want into the new one.

I've done that several times already and it hasn't worked which is odd. It always had in the past. Everything is back to normal except I have missing/extra parts sticking out of all my a/c now.

diegoxs
May 23rd, 2010, 13:11
It takes my aircraft to the crapyard ..

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1977/britten.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/britten.jpg/)

jpmes
May 23rd, 2010, 14:12
A small reminder for the people who have problems with these new shader files. You HAVE to recompile the shaders after every change including if you decide to restore the original ones otherwise you end up with textures all over the place.

From the readme :

2) Edit your fsx.cfg file and add the following lines to enable Shader 3.0 support:

[GRAPHICS]
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430

The SHADER_CACHE_VERSION above instructs FSX to re-compile the shaders, this number
has to be changed if the ShadersHLSL is modified. The 9872430 is just a random number
you can use ANY number, just remember to change it everytime you update anything INSIDE
your ShadersHLSL folder OR even if you UNINSTALL IT, so the shaders are re-compiled again.

No need to re-install FSX or delete the fsx.cfg

Jean-Paul

Scratch
May 23rd, 2010, 14:54
A small reminder for the people who have problems with these new shader files. You HAVE to recompile the shaders after every change including if you decide to restore the original ones otherwise you end up with textures all over the place.

From the readme :

No need to re-install FSX or delete the fsx.cfg

Jean-Paul

Thank you Jean-Paul from saving me from my stupid self, all is well now:ernae:

JoeW
May 23rd, 2010, 15:29
My 9500 gt seem to like it. I have a light improvement in the water and the shading of shadows.
No frame increase though.

bkeske
May 23rd, 2010, 15:34
I tried it an removed it. Personally, I really like what FS Water Configurator does for my scenery around water, which it seems I am flying around often, and wanted my custom shader settings back.

In addition, I did not see much difference, if any, in my [erformance.

JoeW
May 24th, 2010, 04:14
Gentlemen ........ I just took it out. My water went south this morning. I guess I should have re-booted yesterday.

michael davies
May 24th, 2010, 06:22
I tried it an removed it. Personally, I really like what FS Water Configurator does for my scenery around water, which it seems I am flying around often, and wanted my custom shader settings back.

In addition, I did not see much difference, if any, in my [erformance.

Ohhh now thats a nice application there !, didn't know anything about that at all. wonder if you can still use the new 3.0 shaders and then apply FS Water over the top, ie configure these new shaders instead of the old default ones ?.

Major_Spittle
May 24th, 2010, 10:38
How do you uninstall this, I did the one that had the ENBS and it messed up the Bufferpools=0 tweak?

Never-Mind, I found the Readme file for the install and it is all in there.... OOOPPs

Bjoern
May 24th, 2010, 11:46
Tested it and seeing roughly a 1FPS increase over the 2.0 shaders. Removed the ENB mod though.

Skittles
May 25th, 2010, 01:41
Ohhh now thats a nice application there !, didn't know anything about that at all. wonder if you can still use the new 3.0 shaders and then apply FS Water over the top, ie configure these new shaders instead of the old default ones ?.

It won't work at all. FSWC works with 2.0 shaders only. It will conflict with this tweak and your water won't display properly at all. Probably just turn into a big chunk of blue.

The WIP version of FSWC V2.0 will have shader 3.0 compatibility however, so when that comes out you can use this tweak with it.

Just as importantly, the guys at REX are building shader 3.0 compatibility into their work.

Good good.