PDA

View Full Version : guitar players

cheezyflier
May 22nd, 2010, 08:30
be suitably impressed. this guy took the key board solo in the beggining of boston's "long time" and transformed it into a guitar shred

f-NvTvu9OuQ

N2056
May 22nd, 2010, 08:39
:jawdrop: He's got skills! :ernae:

Eoraptor1
May 22nd, 2010, 12:44
Cheezy,

What kind of guitar is that he's playing? I don't recognize it.

Old Joke: Q - How many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb? A - Ten: one to screw in the bulb; nine to watch him and claim they could have done it better.

JAMES

Tako_Kichi
May 22nd, 2010, 13:17
I just searched for the guitar model but found nothing like that body/headstock shape anywhere. I can tell you that it is a 7-string guitar and not a 6-string. Maybe it's a custom job?

txnetcop
May 22nd, 2010, 13:20
That is nothing short of INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

Skittles
May 22nd, 2010, 13:40
It's a beta custom by the looks of it.

cheezyflier
May 22nd, 2010, 15:16
I just searched for the guitar model but found nothing like that body/headstock shape anywhere. I can tell you that it is a 7-string guitar and not a 6-string. Maybe it's a custom job?

It's a beta custom by the looks of it.

he states on his channel that's what it is. i was ready to guess ibanez

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 15:30
It looks deceptively simple, but that took a tremendous skill and precision to pull off.

Ken

cheezyflier
May 22nd, 2010, 20:14
It looks deceptively simple, but that took a tremendous skill and precision to pull off.

Ken

the good ones always make it look easy

tigisfat
May 22nd, 2010, 22:59
That's nuts!

TomSteber
May 23rd, 2010, 03:00
Very good. I love it when I see young players that are this good.
It reminds me of guitar player that I played with back in '92-'93.
He was only 17 at the time. We were doing Eric Johnson stuff like "Cliff's of Dover" and "East Wes". He was nailing it note for note with the exact sound on his rig. There were always a lot of jaws dropped at the clubs we played at. He now lives in Nashville playing and touring professionally. His name is Dennis Shephard.

Mathias
May 23rd, 2010, 03:16
This has as much in common with music as type-writing.
String action so low you can barely put a stamp between strings and frets and way too much overdrive make for a static sound with poor dynamics.
Way to go for the guy, he can move his fingers but doesn't know how to make a good, breathing guitar tone.
Sorry, not impressed at all.

cheezyflier
May 23rd, 2010, 05:41
frankly, i like all my guitars to be fast. when the strings are a mile from the neck it only proves that the instrument is not properly set-up. imo, the overdive/distortion isn't excessive when compared to players like
warren haynes (gov't mule, allman bros) or all the mixed in electronica of satriani, vai, or gilmour. no one would accuse those guys.

have another listen. the guy's technique is flawless. every note is crisp and clear, no slurs, twangs or buzzing.
his timing is spot on. on top of all that, he transposed the piece to a key better suit it to his instrument. it may not be the type of music you like, but the guy's talent is as obvious as the nose on my face.

Skittles
May 23rd, 2010, 06:49
frankly, i like all my guitars to be fast. when the strings are a mile from the neck it only proves that the instrument is not properly set-up. imo, the overdive/distortion isn't excessive when compared to players like
warren haynes (gov't mule, allman bros) or all the mixed in electronica of satriani, vai, or gilmour. no one would accuse those guys.

have another listen. the guy's technique is flawless. every note is crisp and clear, no slurs, twangs or buzzing.
his timing is spot on. on top of all that, he transposed the piece to a key better suit it to his instrument. it may not be the type of music you like, but the guy's talent is as obvious as the nose on my face.

I don't mean to demean the guy but I can find another 100 of his type on youtube. In fact probably another 1000.

He's good, but he's no revolution.

Transposition isn't particularly a talent on the guitar, you just move the same shape up and down the neck.

TomSteber
May 23rd, 2010, 13:01
I don't mean to demean the guy but I can find another 100 of his type on youtube. In fact probably another 1000.

Your absolutely right. The one thing that I've been seeing for quite awhile now is that there are a LOT more players like this than there used to be years ago. I don't know what their feeding/putting in the water, but there used to be only a few players like this and now...
I see that with drummers. Obviously, since I'm a drummer. Back in the day there were maybe 10-20 REALLY GOOD players. Now it's like their all that good. Makes me sick! And makes me want to sell all my gear!

tigisfat
May 23rd, 2010, 22:29
Your absolutely right. The one thing that I've been seeing for quite awhile now is that there are a LOT more players like this than there used to be years ago. I don't know what their feeding/putting in the water, but there used to be only a few players like this and now...
I see that with drummers. Obviously, since I'm a drummer. Back in the day there were maybe 10-20 REALLY GOOD players. Now it's like their all that good. Makes me sick! And makes me want to sell all my gear!

It's because the techniques were pioneered and forged by the guys rocking out since electric guitars have been around. You don't have to invent anything now, you can just learn how to shred in only about 6-10 years like it's no big thing following the prescribed techniques. My dad thought I was a virtuoso for being able to shred, and I had to tell him that shredding is almost standard now for anyone that is serious about rock guitar.

TomSteber
May 24th, 2010, 04:14
That's true, but one still has to have the talent to play the things they learn well.
There's also a LOT of people who just can't play, no matter how much they want to.
Maybe there's just more people learning how to play then there was back in the day so in the long run there's just more good players. Just takes a lot of dedication and deciding just who good you want to be.
Or, how good you CAN be.
Some people consider me to be a really good drummer. I know I'm pretty good, but I also know I don't hold a candle to the "Big Dogs". I also know that I probably would never get to those levels no matter how much woodshedding I do. I'm Ok with that today.

Eoraptor1
May 24th, 2010, 07:34
My two cents. There's A LOT more instructional material available now than when I started playing. Back then there was no internet, no DVDs, and VCRs where exotic. Instructional books that taught the music I wanted to play were hard to find. There were music classes in my school, however, for which I'm deeply grateful. These are now being cut all over the country. There were people you could hire for music lessons, usually right out of your local music store, but you had to have money for that. I also see fewer and fewer Mom and Pop music vendors. These are being replaced by chains like Guitar Center.

Something else I feel the need to mention is that there's no consensus as to what constitutes "good" playing. In my experience, people perceive music they like as "good" while music they do not like "sucks" no matter what level of technical dexterity it involves. For example, I know teenagers who can solo all day, sweep picking up and down the neck, but when I'm being a pr*ck, I know I can usually ask them to, say, "comp for two minutes, and include melody notes on the top strings" and their eyes will glaze over. Also, IMO guitar forums tend to be skewed toward lead playing; rhythm guitarists are very much second class citizens. Does it make you a "better" guitarist because you can't follow a chord change or invert a triad? Just saying.

JAMES

cheezyflier
May 24th, 2010, 08:06
i never said the guy was the next hendrix, but i do stand by the idea that he did something cool, and did with proficiency. sure there are alot of really talented people out there these days. 2 of my favs are

sungha jung in this video he's 13, but if you look on youtube you can find equally cool vids of him as young as 7 or 8
ddTQWU_Axio

and

IN21lcvIsvM

i know it's a guitar commercial.
her name is su meng. she can really play, she does alot of classical stuff.

Alexicutioner
May 24th, 2010, 13:10
First off, I want to thank cheezy for posting this. I appreciate his comments and those of all posters in this thread. Criticism is great and it helps one improve. Even (and sometimes more importantly, because of) the negative criticisms. I'm always looking to improve.

I pretty much agreed with almost everything that has been said in this thread. But, I'd like to add a few things. Note that it is a keyboard solo that I transcribed for guitar. So, I think it is difficult to judge the performance because, well...90% of my concern was making it justs simply WORK on guitar, lol. It was a pain in the ass to work out. The notes just don't fall in natural places for a guitar player. The fact that I could even make it sound anything like the original at all was a triumph for me. Even if no one liked it, for me personally, it was a huge milestone.

In the end, the bottom line for me is that I absolutely love this keyboard piece, and I LOVE Boston. It matters less to me if anyone thinks I'm a maestro or a total hack. For me, I'm just really happy to pay homage to such an awesome band that produced way too little music. If others can find some enjoyment from my version of this great piece of music, that's just bonus. I can only hope to have done it some justice.

Thanks cheezy and everyone,
Alexis

Eoraptor1
May 24th, 2010, 13:24
First off, I want to thank cheezy for posting this. I appreciate his comments and those of all posters in this thread. Criticism is great and it helps one improve. Even (and sometimes more importantly, because of) the negative criticisms. I'm always looking to improve.

I pretty much agreed with almost everything that has been said in this thread. But, I'd like to add a few things. Note that it is a keyboard solo that I transcribed for guitar. So, I think it is difficult to judge the performance because, well...90% of my concern was making it justs simply WORK on guitar, lol. It was a pain in the ass to work out. The notes just don't fall in natural places for a guitar player. The fact that I could even make it sound anything like the original at all was a triumph for me. Even if no one liked it, for me personally, it was a huge milestone.

In the end, the bottom line for me is that I absolutely love this keyboard piece, and I LOVE Boston. It matters less to me if anyone thinks I'm a maestro or a total hack. For me, I'm just really happy to pay homage to such an awesome band that produced way too little music. If others can find some enjoyment from my version of this great piece of music, that's just bonus. I can only hope to have done it some justice.

Thanks cheezy and everyone,
Alexis

Alex,

What type of guitar are you playing in the video?

JAMES

Alexicutioner
May 24th, 2010, 13:31
The guitar is a custom that was built by a local builder here in Vancouver BC.

http://betacustomguitars.com/

Alexis

cheezyflier
May 24th, 2010, 16:50
well, that just about made my whole weekend right there, and this has been a good one to start with. :applause:

tigisfat
May 24th, 2010, 17:20

Transposition isn't particularly a talent on the guitar, you just move the same shape up and down the neck.

I repectfully disagree.

Don't consider the number of guitar players capable of this, consider the percentage of overall guitar players that can. I've been in a jillion bands and have never played with anyone better at guitar than myself. This dude is better trained and has better technique than I do, and I'd venture to say he'd shred me under the table.

He is in fact, particularly talented.