PDA

View Full Version : Dunsford?

falcon409
May 21st, 2010, 12:26
Has anyone done a current version of Dunsford? I've been capturing satellite imagery for an individual and one of them was Dunsford. I got such a nice resolution that it seemed a shame not to do something with it, lol.

I didn't want to start something that someone else has already done, or is planning to do.:salute:

MCDesigns
May 21st, 2010, 12:32
Has anyone done a current version of Dunsford? I've been capturing satellite imagery for an individual and one of them was Dunsford. I got such a nice resolution that it seemed a shame not to do something with it, lol.

I didn't want to start something that someone else has already done, or is planning to do.:salute:

I here ya, I have the d/led high res installed with blend/night, but unless the buildings were all custom since it's a specialized airport, I saw no point in taking it further since that would take some time.

IanP
May 21st, 2010, 12:33
I'm assuming you mean Dunsfold, as none of the Dunsfords that come up in Google Earth have an airfield attached.

In which case I'd really like to know where you're getting your aerial imagery from, without paying hundreds in license fees.

Ian P.

letsgetrowdy
May 21st, 2010, 12:58
Just merge the base image with this http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/Dunsfold.exe

falcon409
May 21st, 2010, 14:04
I'm assuming you mean Dunsfold, as none of the Dunsfords that come up in Google Earth have an airfield attached.
Yep typo, sorry about that.

In which case I'd really like to know where you're getting your aerial imagery from, without paying hundreds in license fees.
Ian P.
GoogleEarth via SBX

falcon409
May 21st, 2010, 14:08
I here ya, I have the d/led high res installed with blend/night, but unless the buildings were all custom since it's a specialized airport, I saw no point in taking it further since that would take some time.
Ahhhh, I've finally found an excuse for not having learned GMax or FSDS then Michael. Without that bit of knowledge, I can look at Dunsfold and see just another airport done with a nice satellite image base texture and strategically placed scenery objects that elevates it beyond the boring default scenery, lol.

jetstreamsky
May 21st, 2010, 14:20
Ah Dunsfold, home to the Harrier and now Top Gear

IanP
May 21st, 2010, 15:14
Just as a word of advice then, you are almost certainly using the photos illegally if you upload them anywhere.

Unlike the US, aerial photos of the UK are not paid for by the Government and, even when they are, they are controlled by HM Ordinance Survey, who as people might have noticed from the price of Horizon and Just Flight's photosceneries, charge a seriously large premium for it.

Getmapping, who provided the data to GE for much of the UK, charge the standard OS rate of £38 + VAT (17.5% on top) for every 1km square tile, plus an annual license fee for every year the data is in use - which, if you upload it anywhere, means 'forever' as you cannot take it out of use. So that means for a typical WW2 airfield layout such as Dunsfold, or any of the ones I have looked into, you're looking at either four (if you are lucky) or six (if you are not) tiles, which will set you back £178.60 (for four) or £267.90 (for six), plus an annual licensing fee on top.

It doesn't matter whether you're doing it for profit or not, the costs of a license for the aerial photographs are exactly the same.

Just something you might like to be aware of!

Cheers,

Ian P.

falcon409
May 21st, 2010, 15:22
Thanks Ian.:salute:

CheckSix
May 22nd, 2010, 00:56
If the photos are taken by an outide agency such as US Navy, NASA etc who owns the imagery?

IanP
May 22nd, 2010, 11:45
I'm let to believe that aerial photos taken by US government agencies (would the military come under that? I'd assume so, but don't know - hopefully someone will) are classed as paid for by the public purse, therefore they are available for the US public to use.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case in the UK as a number of organisations have recently discovered to their cost... Just because you can view aerial imagery online doesn't mean you can use it for anything else and, having just had their funding slashed by Her Majesty's Government, the Ordinance Survey are getting more vociferous in defending their income on what they do have.

The rail simulation crowd had the same debate not so very long ago regarding elevation mapping data, which led to the OS going after a number of sites and developers then watching the upload sites very carefully for usage of their property. I'm led to believe by someone who currently works with geospatial data that I asked for advice regarding obtaining it legally that this is far from uncommon and they don't tend to go after individuals first, but go for the distribution sources - i.e. where you upload the file to. Hence my comments to Falcon above to be careful because these companies have both the clout and will to defend their claims. If the Copyright holder is the Ordinance Survey, then the Copyright belongs to the Crown, which appears to have exceptionally deep pockets!

Finding out who owns aerial photographs is normally easy - both GE and Bing Maps state it at the bottom of the screen when you view them in a browser. That isn't shown in SBuilderX, though, so you'd need to look at the same source in their own client software to see who the owner is.

The OS may produce and procure very good data, but they do like charging a fortune for it. :(

BTW, on topic, I've done a WW2 Dunsfold in the usual way I do, but it's WW2, not modern, so wouldn't clash with anything done that has Top Gear track markings on it. ;)

Ian P.