PDA

View Full Version : Unable to start ETO Mission Builder

wsmwsm
May 21st, 2010, 03:44
When I try to start ETO Mission Builder I get an error message "This application has failed to start because jpeg.dll was nt found. . . " In fact, there is a jpeg.dll in the ETO main folder.

Can anyone provide some advise as to how to fix this? Thanks.

Old Tiger
May 21st, 2010, 06:13
:salute:What to do, is to copy a folder called The Desert Rats, it's in Maw and Pto copy it to ETO then open it, iside find a file called dr_launch_mb.exe has a scorpion icon, send it to desktop shortcut. Run it

Hope I helped

When I try to start ETO Mission Builder I get an error message "This application has failed to start because jpeg.dll was nt found. . . " In fact, there is a jpeg.dll in the ETO main folder.

italflyer
May 21st, 2010, 06:47
make a shortcut to the missionbuilder in ETO. Rightclick on the shortcut, choose "properties" and change the "Run in" to the ETO root folder instead to the MB-folder within ETO..

ndicki
May 21st, 2010, 06:58
This phenomenon happens all the time whenever you shortcut directly to MB.exe without a second shortcut in CFS3 root. This happens especially when you haven't installed to your C drive. The desktop shortcut should read as follows:

(Right Click on desktop icon, properties)

Target: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\mb\mb.exe"

Start in: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\" (where "C" is the name of the drive you installed to, so "D" or "E" or whatever)

The shortcut in CFS root must be named CFS3 Mission Builder and read the same.

Without the additional shortcut in CFS root, it won't run.

If all else fails, copy the icon in vanilla CFS3 and carefully edit the install name. It'll run.

wsmwsm
May 21st, 2010, 07:25
This phenomenon happens all the time whenever you shortcut directly to MB.exe without a second shortcut in CFS3 root. This happens especially when you haven't installed to your C drive. The desktop shortcut should read as follows:

(Right Click on desktop icon, properties)

Target: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\mb\mb.exe"

Start in: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion\" (where "C" is the name of the drive you installed to, so "D" or "E" or whatever)

The shortcut in CFS root must be named CFS3 Mission Builder and read the same.

Without the additional shortcut in CFS root, it won't run.

If all else fails, copy the icon in vanilla CFS3 and carefully edit the install name. It'll run.

Ndicki: I tried the right click on desktop icon properties option. I cannot change the Target location which now reads "mb". That is, the Shortcut Propers window won't allow the insertion of any different location. I run Vista. Is this a Vista issue?

wsmwsm
May 21st, 2010, 07:35
:salute:What to do, is to copy a folder called The Desert Rats, it's in Maw and Pto copy it to ETO then open it, iside find a file called dr_launch_mb.exe has a scorpion icon, send it to desktop shortcut. Run it

Hope I helped

OT: No go. When I hit the dr-launch-Shortcut, I get a message: "This application has failed to start because java.dll was not found. . . ."

By the way, the problem I described with the ETO install is the same for the MAW install. Only my PTO install permits use of Mission Builder.

Old Tiger
May 21st, 2010, 08:12
OT: No go. When I hit the dr-launch-Shortcut, I get a message: "This application has failed to start because java.dll was not found. . . ."

By the way, the problem I described with the ETO install is the same for the MAW install. Only my PTO install permits use of Mission Builder.

:wavey:Did you try to run it right from the ETO desert rats folder?

rbp71854
May 21st, 2010, 08:18
If old Tigers suggestion doesn't work for you send me a pm with e-mail address and path to your eto install. I will make an installer that will install directly to your eto install.

Bob

wsmwsm
May 22nd, 2010, 06:10
Nothing works. What's more, when I now simply try to startup ETO, I get the message: "This application has failed to start because java.dll was not found. . . "

Help!

ndicki
May 22nd, 2010, 08:21
Ndicki: I tried the right click on desktop icon properties option. I cannot change the Target location which now reads "mb". That is, the Shortcut Propers window won't allow the insertion of any different location. I run Vista. Is this a Vista issue?

No idea. What comes first to mind is that the shortcut is "read only."

Goodness knows what your problem is...

rbp71854
May 22nd, 2010, 08:54
If I was faced with this situation this is what I would do not knowing what caused the problem to begin with.

Copy and paste from another install all the .dll files in the main directory to your ETO install. Then I would run martin wrights multicfs3.exe, typing in the correct name of the eto theater.

Bob

Nothing works. What's more, when I now simply try to startup ETO, I get the message: "This application has failed to start because java.dll was not found. . . "

Help!

wsmwsm
May 22nd, 2010, 09:33
Tried the last two suggestions. Still no go. I guess I'm back to reinstalling ETO.

PS: If I have to reinstall, what is the sequence of installs? 1.0. . . 1.3?

grizzly50
May 22nd, 2010, 10:32
:kilroy:Wsmwsm, If you have to re-install, it's all in this order: 1.0, 1.20, 1.30, 1.31.

Make sure that you:

1. Make sure ETO is in Era 1, then exit, and the ETO Spawn Selector is set to 1, Stock Spawn Mode, before installing each update.

2. I recommend flying the sim in QC before installing each update, then stick to Step 1 above.

I hope this helps.:d

wsmwsm
May 22nd, 2010, 13:40
Thanks. I should uninstall first, correct?

wsmwsm
June 21st, 2010, 14:36
This is just an update on this post, perhaps useful to others.

First, I want to thank all of you for your help. I just realized that the answer was here and I just missed it.

Ndicki's advise was right on target. I failed (until I revisted this issue today) to see that the "Start in" line on my setup ended with "...Expansion/mb". Removing those two letters solved the problem in both ETO and MAW.

Again, thanks.