View Full Version : Must watch...

CheckSix
May 21st, 2010, 02:48
Fly Navy Air...

Unbelievable video, really humbles one.

http://vholdr.com/video/lap-around-boat

SirBenn21
May 21st, 2010, 03:41
I enjoyed that! First time I've seen Goshawks in action on a aircraft carrier.

:salute:

Ben

Naki
May 21st, 2010, 03:46
wow...that was cool..thanks for the link

Navy Chief
May 21st, 2010, 08:19
As a Senior Chief I used to work with would say, "Simply superb!"

GO NAVAIR!

NC

Cleartheprop
May 21st, 2010, 09:09
The thread title says it all : a MUST watch !
thanks for the link. :ernae:

peter12213
May 21st, 2010, 09:16
Brings it back how violent that arrested landing is, I wish FSX looked alot more like that, the sea and waves for instance!

dancoz
May 21st, 2010, 10:30
That was one Awesome video :salute: :salute::salute::salute:

Naismith
May 21st, 2010, 11:49
Beautiful! Navy flyers are king.

fsafranek
May 21st, 2010, 12:10
An "E-Ticket" ride for sure. I want to go again.

Interesting to see a floating classroom with nothing but Goshawks on deck.

Brings it back how violent that arrested landing is, I wish FSX looked alot more like that, the sea and waves for instance!

XLR8
May 21st, 2010, 13:03
That was totally cool !

ryanbatc
May 21st, 2010, 13:11
******* sweet!

Raise your hand if you tried to use your Track IR to look around the cockpit while the video was playing

ROFL!

Paul_Yorks
May 21st, 2010, 13:37
<sticks hands="" in="" air!="">Hands up!

To be fair, most every time I wanted to look back over my shoulder, the pilot did.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think the turn was really quick? I thought the carrier, when spotted, was a different ship - didn't think the bird had turned through enough degrees to be able to see the home carrier, yet. Strange.

Loved it.</sticks>

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 14:41
<STICKS air!="" in="" hands="">Hands up!

To be fair, most every time I wanted to look back over my shoulder, the pilot did.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think the turn was really quick? I thought the carrier, when spotted, was a different ship - didn't think the bird had turned through enough degrees to be able to see the home carrier, yet. Strange.

Loved it.</STICKS>

I did too. :redface:

Is this the carrier off the coast of Florida that's only used to carrier quals? Can someone learn me up? If there is a carrier that's only used for quals like I've heard about, can it still move under it's own power or do just essential systems operate for flight ops?

Pips
May 21st, 2010, 15:20
Absolutely fascinating video! Luv the constant use of throttle.

At first I though that the pilot had missed his line-up (as in swung around too far), until I realised that he was landing on a angled deck. Doh!

I also noticed that the pilot wasn't wearing gloves. Is that usual?

And a final question if I may. How woud a pilot cope if he had to land directly into the sun? How would he see? There was a point in the video where the pilot fly into the sun and it was blinding.

rvn817j
May 21st, 2010, 15:26

Yes it is violent - 500 foot rate of decent, no flair, drive the wheels into the deck. Harness locks are a smart thing and locking them is on the landing checklist..I've known guys to smash their face on MPDs / MFDs.

Great video. I was long gone before the T-45s arrived. Dino's is the only one I know and I like it a bunch!

CheckSix
May 22nd, 2010, 00:52
Funny the gloves thing should be mentioned.

I put this up on an Aircrew only forum and many folk queried exactly the same "Where's his darn gloves!" - Fire in the cockpit, as one can imagine, is the pilots worst nightmare and the nomex gloves would afford a few moments protection to get the fire under control etc.

There are very few that do not wear their gloves and in RAF circles its tantamount to a shoooting offence.

Landing and even taking off into sun can be a wicked experience. Normally all involved try to avoid landing & taking off directly into the sun this said a good pair od raybans and the helmet visor do help considerably.

Bjoern
May 22nd, 2010, 08:46
The time waiting for the cat shot would kill me, especially if it was my first one. Just wait and think, wait and think, feel your heart pounding all over the place and deliver blood everywhere else but not your head. So you're sitting there all pale and sweating and wait for your turn. You probably don't think as you roll onto the cat, just do everything automatically 'cause you've trained your butt of for this moment. Then you rev up the engine, your pulse peaking at probably 500bpm and then BAM! the whole world around you collapses and accelerates while you're probably screaming "What is this? I want to get out of here!" in your head and suddenly...you're free. All the tension and nervousness is slowly converted into an endorphine rush. Your oxygen mask really gets in the way of the huge grin that's developing on your face while the first thought that creeps into your still shaken and stirred up brain is something like "That was AWESOME!". You complete the lap, bolt it at first because you're still a bit shakey from the stress before nailing a half-arsed but still fairly graceful landing before doing the whole procedure again...still with that awfully long-lasting grin on your face. And it won't go away until you drift away in the fuzzyness of sleep in your bunk.

(Sorry, got carried away a bit.)

Also, the video ruined the magic of carrier aviation a bit for me. All I've known so far were those TV compatible videos with cuts, music and whatever.
But this one gave the whole procedure a great deal of authencity and...nomalness. Very touching (see above)!

PRB
May 22nd, 2010, 09:27
... Is this the carrier off the coast of Florida that's only used to carrier quals? Can someone learn me up? If there is a carrier that's only used for quals like I've heard about, can it still move under it's own power or do just essential systems operate for flight ops?

The ship is a Nimitz class, the first digit of the hull number being 7, seen briefly as the plane leaves the deck. So, it's not a dedicated training carrier. I'm not even sure if the navy has a dedicated training carrier anymore, like Lexington (CVT-16) and later (I think...) Saratoga used to be. And yes, the training carriers move under thier own power. They couldn't operate as aircraft carriers, training or otherwise, if they couldn't. They have be moving to conduct flight operations.

That was a cool video. Makes me want to go fly the GooseHawk!

rsgunner
May 22nd, 2010, 09:29
Excellent to Outstanding!

Russ