PDA

View Full Version : A word of advice

bazzar
May 20th, 2010, 14:50
I have been around these corridors for about 7 years now. But only in recent times have I seen an escalation on "banned, blocked and locked".

I believe that there is a solution.

Without a shadow of a doubt, this hobby has its fare share of nay-sayers, professional grumps and yes, a fair number of evil minded people who are just out to ruin your day.

Much of it is down to personal hardships and tragedies in their lives and these forums are the only outlet they have to vent feelings and take it out on somebody else.

Well, tough, we all have problems, deal with it.

I think if you regard these people as annoying insects that although are part of your fishing experience, can be dealt with, things will be a lot more pleasant.

So I suggest that you act like a good trout and don't rise to the baits these people set to lure you into their trap.

Ignore them and in time, they will go away - to another forum somewhere where they can feel they are important.

They certainly have nothing to offer here.

( mods lock away, this is one thread I'd be happy to see that happen to!):engel016:

peter12213
May 20th, 2010, 14:56
I have to say after several pints of Newcastles FINEST Ale, Baz I couldn't agree more, theres nothing I like better than saying that an aircraft is work of art or on the other side of the scale, this isn't up to much, but when it becomes personal or any ill feelings or inappropriate language is used then I have to say it is out of order and serves no constructive purpose in our beloved forum, we few, from all corners of the earth joined by our love of our hobby should not be subjected to nonsense posted however angry one may be!

The words of a drunken Englishman lol! :salute:

Bone
May 20th, 2010, 15:45
We should call the SOH sparring platform "The Polygon". Imagine the MC announcing the contenders: "Ladies and Gentlemen, in the left corner of the Polygon is the Drunken Englishman, and his opponent in the right corner is The Man of Too Few Rivets" ........ok, just kidding.

peter12213
May 20th, 2010, 16:12
That would be cool, a sparring match, but over who's aircraft, and thats where the problem lies in the first place haha! Plus you know the Drunken Englishman would always loose!

warchild
May 20th, 2010, 16:14
Wellll, it's probably quite good advice you offer.. i honestly dont know as i'm not really qualified to comment on it. You see; Going on tragedies, well, Vietnam was a tagedy for me 9 i was there ), and the fifteen years of homelessness and insanity that followed were tragedies, and having buried all my family and being the only survivor of it, and having advanced emphysema on toop of that with not too many years ahead left, well, you can see, theres been my share of hardship in life. i have anger issues too, and bitterness i dont believe anyone could understand the depths of, and yet, here, with the only family i have left, i do everything in my little power, to be reasonable, honest, upfront, caring and understanding. I try to have manners. i try to undersand where the person may be coming from, and give them the benefit of the doubt i hope they will someday give me. i cant give someone my sense of caring or respect i have for others. nor can i make them change. A person is what a person is at that moment. Its up to them. if someone wants a pity party, then they want a pity party and they want to shi* all over other people, but sometimes people are just plain angry and have the lack of words to express themselves. Sometimes its far deeper than that. Personally, i think it has o be taken on a case by case basis. That some people can be ignored for something ( singular ) that was said, but others persist in their childishness. I feel sorry for them really. They never grow up in life and must be making it terribly hard on themselves. Still, others are more like diseases. They spread their infection across as many places as they can, and they dont go away when ignored. Those few, i have no problems with seeing banned. I just figure that iff i can make the extra effort, others can too. But its not fair of me to impose that since people will be people, andit would be pretty ugly if others were like me..
Pam

Matt Wynn
May 20th, 2010, 16:23
can i take part in this sparring :icon_lol: , i agree though everyone is entitled to an opinion but when it becomes personal it blows everthing apart... verbal PE4 i call it... everyone has stresses and issues at some time or another, some decide to unleash it in the form of verbal assault others sit back relax, and contemplate the issue at hand... Developers are always looking for comments/suggestions, keep the comment nice and polite e.g. "i think it looks great but i can see an issue with the mapping..." etc... the developer looks at this as saying "We have a great ..... but it can be improved upon" and they take that into consideration on the next project, constantly keeping the community moving one step forwards at a time, each release we see FSX blooming before us, and each negative comment (in tone) makes developers pause and back off for a while and the sim's blooming gets halted... i'm sure we can all remember what early payware aircraft were like and how far they've come? this has been down to both positive and suggestive comments... even i as a texture find humble solice in knowing people enjoy my work i do, i consider getting a good comment is as good as a criticism that is friendly in tone, because i know that it is enjoyed, and that criticism makes me want to improve and do it better, if someone tells me "thats C**p, nothing compared to....." then that makes me think "Maybe i should have a break".... all in all it can be summed up simply "Be Kind and Courteous, any emotive sniping keep to yourself, and treat others how you would like to be treated"

'rantish thingy' over i'll scurry back into my paint hangar.... :icon_lol:

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 16:23
Wellll, it's probably quite good advice you offer.. i honestly dont know as i'm not really qualified to comment on it. You see; Going on tragedies, well, Vietnam was a tagedy for me 9 i was there ), and the fifteen years of homelessness and insanity that followed were tragedies, and having buried all my family and being the only survivor of it, and having advanced emphysema on toop of that with not too many years ahead left, well, you can see, theres been my share of hardship in life. i have anger issues too, and bitterness i dont believe anyone could understand the depths of, and yet, here, with the only family i have left, i do everything in my little power, to be reasonable, honest, upfront, caring and understanding. I try to have manners. i try to undersand where the person may be coming from, and give them the benefit of the doubt i hope they will someday give me. i cant give someone my sense of caring or respect i have for others. nor can i make them change. A person is what a person is at that moment. Its up to them. if someone wants a pity party, then they want a pity party and they want to shi* all over other people, but sometimes people are just plain angry and have the lack of words to express themselves. Sometimes its far deeper than that. Personally, i think it has o be taken on a case by case basis. That some people can be ignored for something ( singular ) that was said, but others persist in their childishness. I feel sorry for them really. They never grow up in life and must be making it terribly hard on themselves. Still, others are more like diseases. They spread their infection across as many places as they can, and they dont go away when ignored. Those few, i have no problems with seeing banned. I just figure that iff i can make the extra effort, others can too. But its not fair of me to impose that since people will be people, andit would be pretty ugly if others were like me..
Pam

Warchild, I think just about anyone would say that you don't seem to have to try to have manners, you just have them. You're one of the few people in this community that I've never seen angry.

peter12213
May 20th, 2010, 16:27
I think everyone should read that post, VERY sobering! :salute: To Pam!

Matt Wynn
May 20th, 2010, 16:36
Peter not just to Pam, to every serviceman/woman here, for past conflicts... and for some here future conflicts... so on behalf of me "outhouse members, PARADE......SHUN! To the Front, Salute" :salute: a community that lives together fights together :ernae:

Marvin Carter
May 20th, 2010, 19:21
Found this in the Rise of flight forum, seems to pertain=

The game is new but the faces are old. Threads have already become a haven for the "Why I have honor and you don't" crowd. Those with low self-esteem and the burden of a large ego demand they be allowed to redeem themselves in the public arena.
Their egos function with the rational part of the mind. The Ego develops out of growing awareness that you can’t always get what you want. The Ego relates to the real world and operates via the “reality principle”. The Ego realises the need for compromise and negotiates between the Id and the Superego. The Ego's job is to get the Id's pleasures but to be reasonable and bear the long-term consequences in mind. The Ego denies both instant gratification and pious delaying of gratification. The term ego-strength is the term used to refer to how well the ego copes with these conflicting forces. To undertake its work of planning, thinking and controlling the Id, the Ego uses some of the Id's libidinal energy. In transactional analysis, Ego equates to "Adult".
Ego too strong = extremely rational and efficient, but cold, boring and distant. Add low self-esteem to UberEgo and one begins to hear negative comments in your head. Tell yourself to stop. When you do this, you take the power away from the voice inside that discourages you.
By focusing on the good things you do and all your great qualities, you learn to love and accept yourself — the main ingredients for strong self-esteem! Even if you've got room for improvement (and who doesn't?), realizing that you're valuable and important helps your self-esteem to shine.

Why don't we just all live by the golden rule, sing a strain of Kumbaya, and then just get back to blowing each others brains out!!!

CODY
May 20th, 2010, 19:31
I have been around these corridors for about 7 years now. But only in recent times have I seen an escalation on "banned, blocked and locked".

Without a shadow of a doubt, this hobby has its fare share of nay-sayers, professional grumps and yes, a fair number of evil minded people who are just out to ruin your day.

Much of it is down to personal hardships and tragedies in their lives and these forums are the only outlet they have to vent feelings and take it out on somebody else.

Well, tough, we all have problems, deal with it.

I think if you regard these people as annoying insects that although are part of your fishing experience, can be dealt with, things will be a lot more pleasant.

So I suggest that you act like a good trout and don't rise to the baits these people set to lure you into their trap.

Ignore them and in time, they will go away - to another forum somewhere where they can feel they are important.

They certainly have nothing to offer here.

( mods lock away, this is one thread I'd be happy to see that happen to!):engel016:

Funny..I was thinking this very same thing last nite...My son and I were on the phone reading a certain locked thread...and we both agreed that you gotta leave your frustrations Etc. at the front door when you come to the forums!
My goodness...I come here to catch up new models and stuff and re-paints being done by others..not to see all out verbal abuse....

Jeff

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 19:51
The basic, underlying truth for those who choose to go that direction, is that on the internet, in any forum they choose, they can be whoever they want to be. If they conduct themselves in a calm manner and have the general intelligence and background in a certain area, even if it comes totally from reading volumes on a subject and never actually living it, they can pass themselves off as anyone, any profession and no one, normally, is the wiser.

When the ego takes over, when they begin to really get into the character they wish to be, then at some point, they'll be found out. A slip up of the facts they profess to know so well, or the very "spoken language" they suddenly fall into by mistake. . .much like an actor falling out of character and suddenly reverting back their southern roots, when they're playing a proper Englishman. If you're not who you claim to be. . .sooner or later you'll slip.

Pilots, for the most part, are professional types, even at a young age, they developed a discipline and manner about them that has the air of professionalism, it goes with the territory. When someone in here who claims to be of that profession, starts throwing little tantrums and reverting to the person they actually are. . .it's very obvious. Those are the ones who will usually cause the most stink about something relatively small, just to keep their persona intact, when actually, they're just digging a bigger hole to fall into.

b52bob
May 20th, 2010, 19:55
I agree. After 10+ years as a manager at a RV resort, I have found that 98% of our clientelle are absolutely wonderful...the other 2% could never be happy or pleased with anything and had no inhibitions about telling you so. I have learned - legitimate complaint presented with manners = immediate action, complaints just to hear your self complain = in one ear and out my a*s!

And these are grumpy seniors mosty

cheezyflier
May 20th, 2010, 20:28
i would rather be a huge northern pike instead of a trout.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/mI71Hsy_PaU/0.jpg

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 21:02
I agree. After 10+ years as a manager at a RV resort, I have found that 98% of our clientelle are absolutely wonderful...the other 2% could never be happy or pleased with anything and had no inhibitions about telling you so. I have learned - legitimate complaint presented with manners = immediate action, complaints just to hear your self complain = in one ear and out my a*s!

And these are grumpy seniors mosty

A little off topic, but it was a good post.

How wonderfully true about the customer/business cultivator relationship. One of the things I've learned over the last few years as I journey through my 20's is that complaining everywhere you go doesn't help anyone. Some people just want to complain all the time. I watched my mother terrorize every business we went into about the slightest discrepancies all my formative years. You know what? If I go somewhere and everything's just fine except for one detail, I probably won't say anything and I'll leave it alone. If everything about a restaurant seems flawless but my steak was cooked wrong, I'll sit and think about how I'm going to put it for a few minutes. After all, it's not personal, and there will probably be embarassment and hurt feelings over the steak if the business is as good as it looks. If the business is obviously and utterly a @#$%hole, then complaining won't do any good because they don't care and you wouldn't be the first.

The only time I raise hell in a business anymore is if I'm being blatently ripped off or if they've severely damaged me assets, like the car thread you all will remember.

stiz
May 20th, 2010, 22:25
i've got another reason why theres been more locked threads/bannings/grumpyness ... its getting hotter and sunny, happens every year. As soon as the sun comes out and it starts getting hotter peoples fuses seem to get shorter. Maybe because their grumpy at the fact their addicted to FS and havent seen daylight for 30hrs and the sun hurts their eyes i dunno :icon_lol:

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 22:37
Pilots, for the most part, are professional types, even at a young age, they developed a discipline and manner about them that has the air of professionalism, it goes with the territory. When someone in here who claims to be of that profession, starts throwing little tantrums and reverting to the person they actually are. . .it's very obvious. Those are the ones who will usually cause the most stink about something relatively small, just to keep their persona intact, when actually, they're just digging a bigger hole to fall into.

Don't let a pilot's ability to maintain his cool while managing failing engines on an ILS with weather at minimums fool you. I've met very few pilots who were introverts, and they're usually bold types with a little childish craziness still left over just for fun. There have been people I've doubted at other websites, usually due to a lack of flying knowledge, not really because of their attitude. I can't think of anyone here who I would say is falsely claiming to be a pilot. This is a very come-as-you-are type of website. Falcon, if you ever doubt someone who claims to be a pilot, landings.com will give you their ratings. It's a matter of public record.

roger-wilco-66
May 20th, 2010, 22:57
Wellll, it's probably quite good advice you offer.. i honestly dont know as i'm not really qualified to comment on it. [...]
Pam

Good posting, Pam.
Very good. Says it all.

Cheers,
Mark

bazzar
May 20th, 2010, 23:19
i've got another reason why theres been more locked threads/bannings/grumpyness ... its getting hotter and sunny, happens every year. As soon as the sun comes out and it starts getting hotter peoples fuses seem to get shorter. Maybe because their grumpy at the fact their addicted to FS and havent seen daylight for 30hrs and the sun hurts their eyes i dunno :icon_lol:

Only in your hemisphere... it's getting *&^%%^* cold down here...:wavey:

CG_1976
May 21st, 2010, 00:24
What is this heat? Up here in the Arctic its nice and cool and 21+ of daylight.

peter12213
May 21st, 2010, 00:35
What is this heat? Up here in the Arctic its nice and cool and 21+ of daylight.

Clear Blue, and 26 Degrees C here! (For a change!)

roger-wilco-66
May 21st, 2010, 03:33
Clear Blue, and 26 Degrees C here! (For a change!)

what, in the UK ??!!
We can be lucky if we get 14 degrees C in our part of Germany (and it supposed to be the warmest area in G here), and it has been raining (snowing in some parts) for weeks now. Yuck.

Mark

JoeW
May 21st, 2010, 03:35
I was going to pass on this, but ...... I came back to post my experiences. I have a neighbor that went to Canada back in the 60's to avoid the draft. ( He told me this) This guy's out to destroy anything anyone else has worked for just to prove he's as good as anyone else. He is a very unhappy person and wants everyone else to be also.
This guys name is Donald Paul Vanyo. If you have the good luck to run across him, please give him the respect he deserves.
I just had to vent on this.
Sorry.

IanHenry
May 21st, 2010, 04:18
Yes, glorious sunshine in the U.K today, might even go out in my car (see left).
Regards,
Ian.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Tim_Horton
May 21st, 2010, 06:13
I vote to lock this posting for starting something that gets off topic to many times. Just jokes, Don't read my words seriously.

Bjoern
May 21st, 2010, 07:08

Yeah, reading the following statement out loudly at least twice a day.

"Don't take everything seriously. You're on the internet after all. Period."

Bone
May 21st, 2010, 09:05

Yes...and no. Pilots are for the most part what you say in the first sentence. But that's when they're at work. When the duty day is over and you're in another part of the country or out of the country, well, let me just say things can get a little wild and crazy.

Marvin Carter
May 21st, 2010, 12:15
Kinda reminds me of the WWII online forums, people just waiting around for you to post something so they can jump on you light a pitbull on a poodle, Like Ed ,said they read it in a book so i.m an expert, I thinking it's My pee pee is bigger than yours syndrone, and
useally it's the lack of, that's the problem, My Dad had a good philosophy If you cant say nothing good be nice how you say it, actually he said don't let your mouth right a check your ass cant cash, Its easy the be a smartass in mommys basement a thousand miles away, but look a man in the eye and say it, now that when your manners start to kick in.
Just my two cents worth!!!

falcon409
May 21st, 2010, 12:22
. . . . .When the duty day is over and you're in another part of the country or out of the country, well, let me just say things can get a little wild and crazy.
Oh, I'm aware of that. I've been on a lot of deployments where the pilots kicked in for the beer and steaks and gave a big "Goin Home" bash for the Maintenance folks. They were definitely "gloves off" affairs. . .in a good way, lol.

Snave
May 21st, 2010, 12:25
Yes...and no. Pilots are for the most part what you say in the first sentence. But that's when they're at work. When the duty day is over and you're in another part of the country or out of the country, well, let me just say things can get a little wild and crazy.

What always concerns me about these `holier than thou` commentaries is how anyone is allowed to assume with this smug superciliousness that they know best, and then be allowed to get away with it. Who dies and makes you Pope? I never saw any white smoke...

...fact is I, like Bone know a lot of pilots, including some very senior. With few exceptions they exhibit the same human frailties as the rest of humanity, they are not supermen and some are actually the biggest p**sheads and risk takers I know. I've had to carry to bed one of my eelatives on more than several occasions after a really good family get together, and he's got more than 10,000 hours in everything from Sea Kings to 777's. My original flying tutor is world famous (yes, really) and he consistently had to have his car keys taken from him by the steward to prevent him driving home after a complete bottle of Scotch. He's still one of the best pilots I've ever seen, and he never flies drunk. That's his `other life`.

As for the recent topics, most of those were locked as a result of deflection of the `argument` onto the `man` by those whose specious theorising had been exposed for the fallacious gossip it was; their facts were wrong; their opinions backed up by nothing more than ego.
If you cannot argue the message, then don't express it. Expressing the opinion confers the equal and opposite right to disagree with it, and if you can't argue the opinion and instead resort to implying disagreement is some kind of personal slur, when it's the exposure of the absence of cognitive reasoning that is being explored, not the IQ of the person behind it.

Truth is never `the first past the post`...

The very essence of a forum is that it should NOT be a self-absorbed `agree-fest` for the terminally self-important few, but offer educational, informed debate from which consensus can be achieved through the medium via exchange of non-polarised views. Anyone who can't understand that DISagreement is the basis for ALL rational debate, not some pathetic back-slapping for the exhorbitantly needy needs to re-learn the basics of discussion.
Through all this the Moderator role is to promote debate, not stymie disagreement.

It is no excuse for a pathetic opinion that to attack it is denigrating the individual. Who knows ANYONE else on this board? How many have actually ever met? A tiny percentage. We ARE what we post, and if you don't agree with it have the stones to say so and require the expresser to justify their theory and what you end up with, regardless of wit and pith, is substantiated discussion - and consensus.

What is really lacking from most forums is intelligent debate, not meaningless notions of `niceness`. Niceness and pleasantry comes from mutual respect based on justified opinion, factual reporting and respect for the correctness of others.

"I have no respect at all for anyone's opinion, Until I agree with it."

See if you can find out who said that.

Bone
May 21st, 2010, 13:45
Oh, I'm aware of that. I've been on a lot of deployments where the pilots kicked in for the beer and steaks and gave a big "Goin Home" bash for the Maintenance folks. They were definitely "gloves off" affairs. . .in a good way, lol.

LOL, and you got to hang out with Fighter jocks, too. In my aviation world, most of the outrageous behavior on layovers is instigated by Flight Attendants...and they don't pay for crap.

What always concerns me about these `holier than thou` commentaries is how anyone is allowed to assume with this smug superciliousness that they know best, and then be allowed to get away with it.

Very true, and this isn't even real. These models are great fun to play with, and depending on a persons rig and the size of their monitor they can get an awesome aviation head fake going...which for most people is about as close to flying as they'll ever get, so it's an awesome hobby in that regard. And, for people who do fly, it gives them a chance to go outside their particular aviation niche and sample something completely different. I do alot of formation flying with jet fighter models, and my rig is hooked up to a 52" HDTV with TrackIR....talk about immersion. I enjoy the hell out of this hobby, and we are all so lucky to have the technology available to us.

Bjoern
May 22nd, 2010, 08:09
When the duty day is over and you're in another part of the country or out of the country, well, let me just say things can get a little wild and crazy.

...and on the next day you get busted on your way to the plane because you smell like a liquor store. :icon_lol:

In my aviation world, most of the outrageous behavior on layovers is instigated by Flight Attendants...and they don't pay for crap.

Haha! :d

N2056
May 22nd, 2010, 08:20
I recall the same sort of thing happening a year ago this time...mostly because I allowed myself to get caught up in it back then. I will admit that lately I have occasionally slipped and posted a reply here & there that should have gone to the recycle bin instead, but I got past that :d

The thing I have learned over time is that quite often the best reply is no reply at all. :wiggle:

Bone
May 22nd, 2010, 09:47
...and on the next day you get busted on your way to the plane because you smell like a liquor store. :icon_lol:

Haha! :d

There are some that don't know when to quit. Thankfully just a few.

Henry
May 22nd, 2010, 10:47
also we do have an ignore list available to all members
if you do not like seeing certain people posts
you can add them
but sorry you cannot do mine:monkies:
H

tigisfat
May 22nd, 2010, 11:58
also we do have an ignore list available to all members
if you do not like seeing certain people posts
you can add them
but sorry you cannot do mine:monkies:
H

Well,

The ignore function works as a reminder to help you ignore them but doesn't actually hide their posts. You can still see the posts only they're shortened, you don't get the entire content. When someone quotes someone on your ignore list, the quote is fully visible as well.

Bjoern
May 22nd, 2010, 13:06
There are some that don't know when to quit. Thankfully just a few.

...who get the press' attention.

Well,

The ignore function works as a reminder to help you ignore them but doesn't actually hide their posts. You can still see the posts only they're shortened, you don't get the entire content. When someone quotes someone on your ignore list, the quote is fully visible as well.

The ignorelist then worked better in the old board software. At least I've used it (unfortunately though; I normally don't do that) and it worked like it was supposed to.