PDA

View Full Version : EAA Airventure west coast flyin.....early but

Daveroo
May 20th, 2010, 12:14
anyone here planning on going?....its at the yuba county airport in marysville...north of sacramento..was a great show last year....looking forward to it .june 11-13th

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 12:16
anyone here planning on going?....its at the yuba county airport in marysville...north of sacramento..was a great show last year....looking forward to it .june 11-13th

What do they have at it? Maybe I will take the Cirrus and fly in.

Daveroo
May 20th, 2010, 13:38
last year they had everything from a howard DGA and earcoupes to steermans to a T33 and a Yak3,an albatross,lots and lots of 30s type "between wars taildraggers...then new planes like Bill Elliotts Epic LT was there and these cool lil 2 seat rocket ship planes..cant think of waht they are called..but they are raced at reno...there will also be a airrace.

http://www.goldenwestflyin.org/

safn1949
May 20th, 2010, 13:40
What do they have at it? Maybe I will take the Cirrus and fly in.

Pick me up on the way by,I'll pitch in for gas.:d

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 13:44
Pick me up on the way by,I'll pitch in for gas.:d

What town are you in? I never refuse offers for gas pay.

safn1949
May 21st, 2010, 09:07
Mankato MN,I'm bored to death.:d

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 11:09
Mankato MN,I'm bored to death.:d

haha, then you'd have to cover the whole bill. I'd never turn down that many hours in a cirrus though.

safn1949
May 21st, 2010, 11:34
Just for giggles,what would it cost.I have no idea how much it costs an hour to fly one.:d

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 13:05
Just for giggles,what would it cost.I have no idea how much it costs an hour to fly one.:d

That depends. If I rented, it'd be about 250 an hour. You'd have to buy maybe 30 hours in your case. You'll find it's quite economical to rent Cirrus aircraft for travel.:icon_lol:

safn1949
May 21st, 2010, 15:13
That depends. If I rented, it'd be about 250 an hour. You'd have to buy maybe 30 hours in your case. You'll find it's quite economical to rent Cirrus aircraft for travel.:icon_lol:

Oh,my mistake.I thought you owned one already.$7500....yikes.:d

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 15:38
Oh,my mistake.I thought you owned one already.$7500....yikes.:d

The company that I still have loose ties to bought me one to use and fly board members around in. I didn't get very much time in it, and I can still guilt them into letting me take it every great once in a while on account of it sitting around and the raw deal they shivved me with. That's why I said 'if' I rented. The Cirrus SR-20 I believe eats about 15-20GPH depending on what you're doing, but they sure do get up and go. 100LL is 4.50 in many places. You're still looking at more than a few thousand in that case.

I know a guy out here that will pick you up in his L-39 as long as you pay for gas, he's always looking for takers. You don't even wanna know how much that'd be.

Aviation ain't cheap!! You can get by pretty well putting 88 octane pump gas in an old champ at a rate of 5 gallons per hour, but you'd never assume that it'd be no big deal to pick a buddy up halfway across the country. If so, you'd have to have a lot of time off and specifically want to take the proverbial 'backroads', a bit like a few of our members' motorcycle trips. It's not because a motorcycle is the most efficient or comfortable way to go cross-country.

This is the reason that many like Ken and who're also committed to GA look into light twins, because they can load up the family and head 500 miles downrange like it's no big deal if you can handle the gas bill. That's also the reason that many keep a pattern and short afternoon hop mule like a 172 around, which may be why Ken does that as well.

Aviation is different to plan for, that's for sure. There are many people who do pretty well on money that bought fighter jets because you can buy them for 250,000 dollars these days, and then fast discovered that they can't afford to fill them up with gas very often. Imagine a car like that!:icon_lol:

Anyway, if you can foot the (tiny) bill, I'll swing out your way in a next to new Cirrus!!:icon_lol:

safn1949
May 21st, 2010, 18:16
The company that I still have loose ties to bought me one to use and fly board members around in. I didn't get very much time in it, and I can still guilt them into letting me take it every great once in a while on account of it sitting around and the raw deal they shivved me with. That's why I said 'if' I rented. The Cirrus SR-20 I believe eats about 15-20GPH depending on what you're doing, but they sure do get up and go. 100LL is 4.50 in many places. You're still looking at more than a few thousand in that case.

I know a guy out here that will pick you up in his L-39 as long as you pay for gas, he's always looking for takers. You don't even wanna know how much that'd be.

Aviation ain't cheap!! You can get by pretty well putting 88 octane pump gas in an old champ at a rate of 5 gallons per hour, but you'd never assume that it'd be no big deal to pick a buddy up halfway across the country. If so, you'd have to have a lot of time off and specifically want to take the proverbial 'backroads', a bit like a few of our member's motorcycle trips. It's not because a motorcycle is the most efficient or comfortable way to go cross-country.

This is the reason that many like Ken and who're also committed to GA look into light twins, because they can load up the family and head 500 miles downrange like it's no big deal if you can handle the gas bill. That's also the reason that many keep a pattern and short afternoon hop mule still keep a 172 around, which may be why Ken does that as well.

Aviation is different to plan for, that's for sure. There are many people who do pretty well on money that bought fighter jets because you can buy them for 250,000 dollars these day, and then fast discovered that they can't afford to fill them up with gas very often. Imagine a car like that!:icon_lol:

Anyway, if you can foot the (tiny) bill, I'll swing out your way in a next to new Cirrus!!:icon_lol:

My neighbor in upstate New York had a twin engine aircraft,we helped build his airstrip back in the early 70's.I'm sorry I have no idea what model it was.
I knew it was an expensive hobby,I just didn't realize it cost that much.I have a chance to ride in a B-25 for $395,I would hate to see what it cost to fill that up.:d