PDA

View Full Version : American Civil war buffs; I found this an exceptional read.

Cazzie
May 19th, 2010, 18:13
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mscivilw/account.htm

Willy
May 19th, 2010, 18:55
Our stay at Corinth was not very pleasant---close confinements to camp and almost constant drilling. We were mustered into the Confederate service at Corinth and ordered to Union City to help check the threatened invasion of West Tennessee by General Grant, who was then mobilizing troops at Cairo. One of our regiment, a member of the "Natchez Fencibles", was fatally hurt by accident on train between Jackson and Humboldt and was treated by Dr. J. W. Penn, died, and was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery.

Interesting as this is my neck of the woods. I was in Union City this afternoon with Mrs Willy who had a Dr's appointment there. It's about a 40 min drive from my house.

Jackson and Humboldt are to the south of me. Humboldt is about 20 mins away and Jackson 45. That old train line is still there and runs through Dyer which is the closest town to me.

redriver6
May 19th, 2010, 18:57
awesome Caz thanks for the link:salute:

Henry
May 19th, 2010, 19:16
that was after we left wasnt it:running::running:
LOL
actually i am a buff
Thanks
H

Snuffy
May 20th, 2010, 04:55
Thanks Caz for the find.

I'm always diggin stuff like this up ... and enjoy reading the experiences.

Yeah Willy, the ACW, an American Experience. :mixedsmi:

I use to live in Mechanicsville, Virginia right on the Beaver Dam Creek battlefield, not the historic part, but Porter's 5th Corps was large enough that all his Corps camp ground covered the subdivision I lived in. I could literally walk out my back door and off my back deck and be on historic Civil War Battlefield territory.

The actual NBFP demarkation was an 8 minute walk from my back door.

I have literally walked over every square inch of that battlefield. To this day you can still find trenches, embrasures, gun emplacements, and lots and lots of spent .58 rounds laying about.

I'd give anything to be back there again.

lifejogger
May 20th, 2010, 04:56
Great site Caz, I love reading personel histories like that.

I had the toothache and stepped into a dental office to have one tooth extracted and another filled. I asked the terms and the dentist told me that he did soldiers work at half price. He charged me only fifty dollars for extracting the tooth and one hundred dollars for filling one.

Seems like a lot of money for that time in history.

txnetcop
May 20th, 2010, 05:44
Hey Caz thanks a bunch great H/U
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Willy
May 20th, 2010, 10:19
Great site Caz, I love reading personel histories like that.

I had the toothache and stepped into a dental office to have one tooth extracted and another filled. I asked the terms and the dentist told me that he did soldiers work at half price. He charged me only fifty dollars for extracting the tooth and one hundred dollars for filling one.

Seems like a lot of money for that time in history.

Confederate Money. The Confederacy had runaway inflation that just kept getting worse. That probably would have been in the thousands at war's end.

redriver6
May 20th, 2010, 10:35
hey Willy, you ever been to the Shiloh battlefield or the Corinth Interpretive Center?....those are both 'gotta see' especially for any student of the war in the west...

Willy
May 20th, 2010, 10:37
I keep saying I'm going to go down to Shiloh, but something always seems to come up.

There's a few CW sites there in Shreveport too. Fort Humbug and the Confederate Navy Yard.

redriver6
May 20th, 2010, 10:47
yep i been doin a little study of our local CW history....i have a little website..that i haven't updated lately but there is alot of history around here..

www.irononthered.com

you really need to go to Shiloh...its probably one of the best preserved major battlefields in the US..

Snuffy
May 20th, 2010, 14:16
Here's a link for ya'll.

I tend to disagree with what he's titled this page ... but ... lots of good stuff.

http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/warweb.html

TeaSea
May 20th, 2010, 15:15
Great link, I've actually read this account before somewhere.

Note the constant references to food. More than one Confederate initial victory was broken by the men suddenly stopping to find food amongst the Union lines.

Ken Stallings
May 20th, 2010, 16:05
Indeed, a most fascinating read!

To me, the greatest insight was into the mindset of the people of that period of time. To me, having this Confederate Lieutenant reach into his haversack and give the wounded Union soldier all his food was the epitome of the honor those men had on both sides. Small scenes like that one happened all the time, a few have been imortalized in historical culture.

The other very valuable insight was his revelations about measly quantities of food. Imagine! You march and fight all day, and your entire meal for the 24 hour period is a single ear of corn and before that for two days a single piece of pork bacon the size of your thumb!

Today, that would be considered starvation rations.

Ken