PDA

View Full Version : How do I.....

XLR8
May 19th, 2010, 13:10
I am useing windows 7 64 . My problem is I can't delete anything without get permision . I have set the UAC to the lowest setting . Is there a way to turn of this permision BS . I put a file on my esktop now it won't let me dekete it. Thanks

Moparmike
May 19th, 2010, 17:41
Are you running under an administrator level account? If so, then there shouldn't be any problem deleting the file. I have had some access problems with Vista, but (knock on wood) not with 7 yet.

Can you right-click on the file to check the "owner" of it? And do you (or the owner) have permission to make changes to the file?

XLR8
May 19th, 2010, 18:48
Are you running under an administrator level account? If so, then there shouldn't be any problem deleting the file. I have had some access problems with Vista, but (knock on wood) not with 7 yet.

Can you right-click on the file to check the "owner" of it? And do you (or the owner) have permission to make changes to the file?

After right click went to properties,clicked on security .In a box I have creator owner,system,administraators (name-PC/administrators),users (name-PC/users,trustedinstaller . Where name is its my name .

Under that box there is another one permissions creator owner. In that bot there is full control,modify,read and exicute,list folder contents,read write,specal permisions .

gigabyte
May 19th, 2010, 19:11
After right click went to properties,clicked on security .In a box I have creator owner,system,administraators (name-PC/administrators),users (name-PC/users,trustedinstaller . Where name is its my name .

Under that box there is another one permissions creator owner. In that bot there is full control,modify,read and exicute,list folder contents,read write,specal permisions .

XLR8, there are ways to shut off User Account control, and yes it can be a royal PITA, however it is one of the best protections there is against many very nasty malware, so think carefully before you completely shut it down. If you really want to get rid of it completely go to the site www.howtogeek.com (http://www.howtogeek.com) and under their Win 7 section look for the tip(s) on disabling User Account Control.

For your particular problem with this single file, perhaps you might want to use "Run As Administrator" to get rid of it, to do that go to the start menu, and locate "Windows Explorer" (It's in the Accessories group), point to it in the menu and Right Click on "Windows Explorer" then select "Run As Administrator" you will get the PITA confirmation box, but once you answer it you will have full Admin rights over all actions in that Explorer session, and should be able to delete any file that is not open and in use.

The other issue you might be facing is Data Execution Prevention (DEP), which is another security feature, I won't go into it here it would take far too long, you can get good info on that in the windows Help system if you really want to dig into it.

Bottom line is security is a PITA and with all the malware out there it is something we have to live with to keep our systems safe.

XLR8
May 20th, 2010, 09:32
XLR8, there are ways to shut off User Account control, and yes it can be a royal PITA, however it is one of the best protections there is against many very nasty malware, so think carefully before you completely shut it down. If you really want to get rid of it completely go to the site www.howtogeek.com (http://www.howtogeek.com) and under their Win 7 section look for the tip(s) on disabling User Account Control.

For your particular problem with this single file, perhaps you might want to use "Run As Administrator" to get rid of it, to do that go to the start menu, and locate "Windows Explorer" (It's in the Accessories group), point to it in the menu and Right Click on "Windows Explorer" then select "Run As Administrator" you will get the PITA confirmation box, but once you answer it you will have full Admin rights over all actions in that Explorer session, and should be able to delete any file that is not open and in use.

The other issue you might be facing is Data Execution Prevention (DEP), which is another security feature, I won't go into it here it would take far too long, you can get good info on that in the windows Help system if you really want to dig into it.

Bottom line is security is a PITA and with all the malware out there it is something we have to live with to keep our systems safe.

Thanks I will try a few of these . You are right about the protection .