PDA

View Full Version : Mopac E-7 livery for the britkits EMD-E-7 uploaded to railworks America.

warchild
May 19th, 2010, 10:17
Good morning everyone..
I Just uploaded the textures for the Britkits E-7 engines to the railworks america upload page. The files include textures for both the A and B E-7 units as well as a new sound set. The Sound set is not finished yet however, though it is better. The E-7 had high power low RPM engines, and i tried to duplicate that as well as i could. However, I'm still working on it.. The sound set i've included is not perfect nor prototypical. its better than it was, but i still have a lot of work to do. For starters, i cant hear the exhaust note that is so prevelant with these engines, and the dynamics need to be tuned so that the train is exerting the correct amount of friction on the rails and slows down correctly when the throttle is closed. This is an ongoing project and there will be updates so please stay tuned. in the meantime, i hope you enjoy this humble offering..
You will need at LEAST, David Cowens Base EMD-E7 engine. Its a free model and i highly recommend his work..
The textures for the smooth sided railcars are NOT included in this download. They are part of the PLC railcar Xtra-02 package available at a very reasonable price from Britkits.

This model does NOT fly the Mopac flying eagle shields seen on the nose. The reason for that is because each of the Mopac Eagles carried a special emblem designating the state the train was named for. The texas eagle for example, carried a Lone white star in a red diamond as its shield. Since none of the Eagles are flying any more ( They are all in UP Yellow and grey now ) i chose to, instead of recognizing just one of them, to honor them all. Therefore, this train flies the mopac Eagle, but not the shield..
Enjoy :0
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Britkits_EMD_E7_Mopac.jpg

Henry
May 19th, 2010, 10:55
Thanks!
whats the difference between an E7 and an F7
not much knowledge of US trains
looks great
H

warchild
May 19th, 2010, 14:30
:::LOL:: Ya knowww, i'm gonna have to look that up.. i really dont know to be honest.. i know that the E designated Passenger service while the F designates freight. I also know that the basic F moodel is shorter than the E by several feet. But outside of that, i'm really not certain. All the streamliners in the F series were based of the same design, with updates and minor changes here and there ( and some engine change outs as well) to make them the F-3 F-7 etc..

AussieMan
May 19th, 2010, 14:59
Henry,

From my limited of American locos the F7 only had one EMD 645 engine to generate power for its traction motors while the E7/E8 had 2 645s as well as a steam generator for heating the passenger cars.

Ii have been known to be wrong in the past and could be now and am happy to be corrected.

Cheers
Pat

gajit
May 19th, 2010, 15:21
Nice work Warchild :salute:

warchild
May 19th, 2010, 16:22
wellll, the F-7 had a single 1500 hp engine, and the e-7 had 2 1000 hp engines. Outside of that, i dont know.. The web is treating the two as if they were completely alien to each other.. Nt a lot of cross comparrison..

Henry
May 20th, 2010, 05:21
Thanks People
less confused now!
H

warchild
May 20th, 2010, 14:10
What confuses me, is that F-7s were smaller, only had one engine, and less power that E-7s and yet, they were used for freight, which would to me, seem like the heavier load requiring more power.. i just dont get it.. maybe the f-7s were cheap in comparrison.. ?????

traindriver98
May 29th, 2010, 10:01
The F-7's or F-3 to F-9 were used in both freight and pass, the pass had a steam generator. Other than the length, the F's could be identified by the axle count, 4 for the F's and 6 for the E's. Most E units ended their careers in freight service.

warchild
May 30th, 2010, 11:11
Yup, but even there i would have thought it would have been cheaper to scrap them and buy newer freight engines.. These passenger engines didnt have the weight needed to provide an economical tractive power so their use as freight engines was quite limited.. maybe they had horsepower, but all the horsepower in the world dont mean squat if your too light to get a grip on the rails..

traindriver98
June 1st, 2010, 11:33
You'r right about the weight. EMD and GE released 6,000 hp loco's a few years ago. Both of them had to much hp for the weight of the loco. Most of the new loco's have only 4,400 hp with the weight of the loco being around 4,000 lbs. As for the Rock going to El Paso, they did'nt, the Rock stoped at Tucumcari, NM. The SP completed the run to El Paso, TX. You would see some run through power though. The run from El Paso to Tucumcari is where I learned to run trains. Last I heard the Passenger Station is still standing in Tucumcari though no trains stop there anymore. The UP changed the crew change points in '99.

warchild
June 1st, 2010, 21:58
That makes sense about the weight.. i think one of the main problems with the centenials was the weight. With 6500 hp, it doesnt take too far of a stretch of my imagination seeing them flatten wheels and chewing up track, litterally.. From my conversation with Mr Cockle several years ago, it was maintenance that killed the double D's and sense they were basically twin gp-35s, i can only imagine it was wear and tear on the undercarriage and wheels that caused the majority of problems..

traindriver98
June 2nd, 2010, 08:27
I need to correct the weight on the locos, it's 400,000 lbs not 4,000. I have found it real easy to spin the wheels on any locomotive. Most of the time it occurs when you are trying to get the train moving. The more power you put to the rails the easier the wheels slip. I have seen pictures of of rail that has been chewed up by slipping wheels. The bosses don't like it.

warchild
June 2nd, 2010, 19:52
I have seen pictures of of rail that has been chewed up by slipping wheels. The bosses don't like it.

::ROFLMAO:: Tha HAS to be the understatement of the year.....