PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP issues

Eoraptor1
May 19th, 2010, 09:39
I run Windows XP Service Pack 3. For what I currently do on the computer, this is totally adequate. My issue is that last week I went to the Microsoft Update site, downloaded "critical updates" and sucessfully installed them. NOW I'm automatically receiving the automatic update message from Microsoft in my system tray - "You have updates ready for installation" - but this is the exact same update I installed the first time. It happens every time I start the computer. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but I don't understand why it's happening at all. I have my auto downloads set, and these repeated downloads of the same security update seem to have nothing to do with my user-defined settings. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, did you ever find out what was causing it?

ALSO - I would appreciate a recommendation on a good cootie-free codec pack. Many thanks.

JAMES

brad kaste
May 19th, 2010, 11:01
...James,....I had this SAME problem a few years ago. Didn't make a dif what I tried,...still got the same update message. Eventually,....through a phone call to MS,...talked to a person,....they 'took over' my computer for awhile,....fixed things in the registry and that took care of it. Good luck.

stiz
May 19th, 2010, 11:04
ALSO - I would appreciate a recommendation on a good cootie-free codec pack. Many thanks.

by far the best around, has just about everything you'll ever need http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm :wavey:

Eoraptor1
May 19th, 2010, 14:30
Thank you, gentlemen. Your responses are very much appreciated.

JAMES

safn1949
May 20th, 2010, 05:20
Codecs,get the K lite codec package.It will play just about anything with the included media player.

Go to control panel,security center and follow the photos.

Eoraptor1
May 22nd, 2010, 12:30
Codecs,get the K lite codec package.It will play just about anything with the included media player.

Go to control panel,security center and follow the photos.

I did go out and get the K-Lite pack. So far, it's working fine. I'll try disabling the auto-update, and post what happens. Thank you for responding.

JAMES