PDA

View Full Version : As ignorant as they come.

Snuffy
May 18th, 2010, 16:24
Okay folks I've been singin the blues since Pam has been braggin up her skills and talents about putting stuff in Railworks.

Well being mechanically engineering inclined, I use CAD all day long ... so today I threw the little thing shown below together ...

My problem, I haven't the slightest clue how to get it from my CAD to RW.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/Snuffys_bucket/turn.jpg

Henry
May 18th, 2010, 19:19
oh a beer coaster:salute:
dont ask me
i just download em
pretty cool though
you wold have to animate it
an thats waaaaaay above me
H

tigisfat
May 18th, 2010, 22:14
You may feel bad about Pam, but to put things into perspective, that model is way above my head.

Here's the question: What is going to fit on it? Is it only 15 feet long or are those ties HUGE?

Lionheart
May 18th, 2010, 22:57
Hey Snuffy,

Nice work on the turn-around! Very nicely done...

In FS, we have a 'SDK' package that has a bunch of sub-packets or folders with PDF's and HTML's on how to do this and that. I would think RW would have some PDF's in the package somewhere that walk you through how to install a turn-around. I would think they would have one for you already done that you could drop in. There is one on the Black 5 tracks.

It will need animation and tagging, that much I am pretty sure.

What did you model that in? CAD? Gmax? Max? Blender?

empeck
May 18th, 2010, 23:29
Railsimulator dev wiki:

http://www.railsimdownloads.com/wiki/tiki-index.php

Or alternatively you may download pdf docs for Rail Simulator 1, most of docs are the same:

http://railsimulator.com/en/railsimfiles

Snuffy
May 19th, 2010, 03:01
... Here's the question: What is going to fit on it? Is it only 15 feet long or are those ties HUGE?

Its a 53 foot diameter turntable. The header beams are 12x24, as they are the only horizontal support for the weight of the vehicle to be turned.

What did you model that in? CAD? Gmax? Max? Blender?

Its in AutoCAD. Its what I use every day at work, its what I'm the most familiar with. AutoCAD exports to dxf, 3DCanvas can import dxf, and I've done that already, but some of my surfaces are back facing, so they're invisible, and my tie rods don't show at all. :(

Henry, Yeah it'll need animating no doubt about it, I want it to work. ;) I'm afraid its above me too.

Empeck, thanks for the links, is the Dev wiki different from the regular railworks wiki.
Again, my problem isn't that I don't know where to find what I need to convert this, the problem is I don't have the experience in using the tools and I get frustrated very easy and very early in trying to convert anything.

The documentation for me, is sparse and poorly written, and 3DCanvas doesn't come with the best tutorials either. I usually fail to pick up on the part where it reads ... "And then a miracle" happens.

I'll dig around some more, I really need this in my setup as there isn't one that exists to depict the era of steam locos which I'm modeling in.

Thanks for the help and comments guys!

warchild
May 19th, 2010, 10:46
I dont know if theres a button for it in 3D canvas, but usually with two sided textures, you need to either set the renderer to "Force 2 sided" textures while rendering, or create a second copy of the part in the model, with the normals reversed.

Snuffy
May 19th, 2010, 17:35
I think I'm multiplying my problem ....

A little addition to what I started yesterday.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/Snuffys_bucket/eh.jpg

warchild
May 21st, 2010, 10:22
I Like that round house.. the detailing your putting into the joists and hangers is awesome.. i wouldnt think of going that deep, but then, i'm a lazy old fart ::lol:;..

Snuffy
May 21st, 2010, 10:27
Thanks Pam.

I deal with CAD all day ... you're looking at a total of roughly 15 hours of work combined between the turntable and the engine house. Yesterday I polished off the remainder of the engine house, and today I'm cobbling together a car repair shop. Almost got it all done too. :)

warchild
May 22nd, 2010, 01:01
It'll be fun to see it :)..

CrashnBurns
July 10th, 2010, 05:35
Snuffy,

Is that the engine house at City Point?

Crash

Snuffy
July 10th, 2010, 07:44
Snuffy,

Is that the engine house at City Point?

Crash

It is.

There is no scenery items for my route so I'm having to model everything. Now if only I could get this stuff in game. :isadizzy: