PDA

View Full Version : Model linking in FS9

MaddogK
May 18th, 2010, 07:11
Hello,
Dumb question from a noob scenery designer but I have a question about linking models- Does each model need a common node so that FS9 can position each model in its correct position in the world ?

Background: I have a LARGE model (12k polys) that I'm trying to compile into a scenery BGL but makemdl chokes on it because of it's size but I found I can compile each of the parts individually so I'm considering compiling them as individual models and letting the game reassemble them to make the main model.

...or do I even need a reference node in each model as the exported parts all come from the same 'master' model in their correct position (each part has it's own material)?

NoNewMessages
May 18th, 2010, 17:21
I'll take a gander and see if my 9-ology makes sense or not. The MDL file can be placed in code, where it is assigned Lat/Lon and IIRC, a GUID. Or you can make the MDL into a library BGL, where the MDL is assigned a GUID and compiled into a file. Then the placement of the MDL is handled through another BGL file that tells FS9 place GUID at this Lat/Lon.

If you break the work into smaller pieces or keep it as one, how it is dealt with is the same. You're either explicitly placing one or many MDLs at a specific location or if it's a library BGL, then there would be another placement BGL that say put one or more GUIDs at this/these locations.

Say this was a large terminal and breaking it down to three pieces was what was needed, each of the three pieces need to be placed seperately. While they might be "One MDL" to you, to FS9 or FSX they are three objects to be handled.

Clear as mud?

MaddogK
May 19th, 2010, 06:46
I'll take a gander and see if my 9-ology makes sense or not. The MDL file can be placed in code, where it is assigned Lat/Lon and IIRC, a GUID. Or you can make the MDL into a library BGL, where the MDL is assigned a GUID and compiled into a file. Then the placement of the MDL is handled through another BGL file that tells FS9 place GUID at this Lat/Lon.

If you break the work into smaller pieces or keep it as one, how it is dealt with is the same. You're either explicitly placing one or many MDLs at a specific location or if it's a library BGL, then there would be another placement BGL that say put one or more GUIDs at this/these locations.

Say this was a large terminal and breaking it down to three pieces was what was needed, each of the three pieces need to be placed seperately. While they might be "One MDL" to you, to FS9 or FSX they are three objects to be handled.

Clear as mud?

Believe it or not I completely understand. I mistakenly said 'attached' models tho none of the parts are attached to another. My files (parts) have been compiled into MDL's and GUID's assigned. The plan is to place them all at the same location and let the game place them at the correct positions based on their exported positions from the modeller program. I'm going to attempt to write the XML code today and hope it compiles into a usable BGL.

I hope im being overly simplistic on my approach, but I'm not sure if I need a dummy node in each part or if the modeller's global X,Y,Z position is enough.

MaddogK
May 19th, 2010, 16:06
Works like a charm- created a library BGL with all 14 parts, and placed them at the same location- ALL appeared at their correct location.

Will now work on making the 14 location BGL's into a single file.