PDA

View Full Version : Skylark WIP Update

Lionheart
May 17th, 2010, 21:34
Hey all,

Some pics of the golden oldie, work in progress. Just mapped, but no genuine paint yet.

Warchild has this thing flying SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Addictive...

Bill

Sundog
May 17th, 2010, 22:04
It's looking great, a true classic.

Javis
May 18th, 2010, 01:50
Beautiful bird, beautifully crafted ! Great job, Bill ! :applause::ernae:

Great that we can make use of unsmoothed poly's for a chance too, éh !?... :)

Looking forward too it !

Cheers,
Jan

mike_cyul
May 18th, 2010, 04:53
That is one really nice design, a very good looking bird. :)

Mike

d0mokun
May 18th, 2010, 04:56
Kudos Bill- that's a very smart looking aeroplane.

grunau_baby
May 18th, 2010, 05:11
You tease!!!:173go1:

I love those american Art-Deco style aircraft!

Alex

Marvin Carter
May 18th, 2010, 06:24
wow!!!

Dain Arns
May 18th, 2010, 06:53
You tease!!!:173go1:

Alex

Here, here. My favorite style.
What beautiful lines its has.

Matt Wynn
May 18th, 2010, 07:48
man talk about beauty... can't wait to fly this bird Bill!

Cleartheprop
May 18th, 2010, 10:29
Amazing design! Beautiful! :ernae:

pilottj
May 18th, 2010, 21:15
LOL you have Skylark in your thread title, i thought you might be working on a Cessna 175 :icon_lol:....but she really is looking beautiful. Perfect follow up to the ultra modern Victory, a Skylark or a Ryan STP would both be wonderful. Can't wait to try it out :)

Lionheart
May 18th, 2010, 22:48
Thanks guys.

<--- bows humbly

foreigndevil
May 18th, 2010, 22:59
A very nice looking aircraft! Great job, Bill!

Hurricane91
May 19th, 2010, 04:35
Snazzy.

txnetcop
May 19th, 2010, 04:49
That is a sweetheart for sure Bill. Were you able to contact the owner that I mentioned meeting at Oshkosh?
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Lionheart
May 19th, 2010, 07:30
That is a sweetheart for sure Bill. Were you able to contact the owner that I mentioned meeting at Oshkosh?
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hey Ted,

I have tried and tried to contact Buzz, but to no avail. But then I found out who he hired to rebuild it and got in contact with him via phone. Awesome guy named Tom who mainly does alot of the Waco restorations (highly professional restorations, award winning class). Buzz had given him the Skylark in a box, basically. Even the steel Fuselage frame was unwelded and in pieces. Evidently a new shop was going to rebuild EVERYTHING in it, tore it down, got lost, and dropped the ball, so Tom took over. Alot of the sheetmetal had been lost or damaged, so he reproduced that, rewelded the frame, got it all back together.

Buzz had asked Tom to put it back into the White paint scheme which was the prototype flying color. It was 'later' painted red, perhaps for the movie it was in. Now she is back to white. I think White looks alot nicer. My proto version is a cream, which I will change for his ice white color, as well as the red paint scheme.

Pam has done a really nice job on the plane. Tom had given us alot of feedback on how the real plane handles; low elevator and rudder control at landing speeds, excellent aileron control all around, top end at 140 MPH, landing around 50 MPH, a flap assembly centrally mounted that is more like a dive brake and airbrake and creates ZERO lift, lol... This will have toe brake steering with a tail wheel lock.

Slowly coming together....

No radio. What to do.... I am thinking of sticking an antique radio in the glove box. Any idea's for antique radios? Anyone know of a site that has antique radios? I looked for about 2 days and didnt find much except for home radios.

Bill

pilottj
May 19th, 2010, 09:46
you could have a hideable handheld unit in the glovebox or somewhere :)

spotlope
May 19th, 2010, 10:12
I like pilottj's idea. How about a stored handheld like the one in the A2A Cub? You get the functionality and realism without having to muck up a nice old panel.

Lionheart
May 19th, 2010, 15:21
Thats a good idea guys.

Still toying with it..... Its gotta be wierd, what ever I do... :d

Roger
May 19th, 2010, 15:35
Somehow designs like this look like they've been sculpted to fly, almost as if it's evolved. Excellent subject, beautifully rendered.

PutPut
May 19th, 2010, 17:06
Bill, You are doing excellent work (as always) for a beautiful looking aircraft. A part of me says that it looks like someone added Ryan STA tail feathers to a slimmed down version of the Northrop Gamma.

:ernae::ernae:

Paul

Marlin
May 20th, 2010, 00:00

Alex

Art Deco????:icon_lol:

Bill, that thing looks old, but it looks like it's fast too. Weather its fast or not, it looks great!