PDA

View Full Version : Mount St. Helens - 18 May 1980

PRB
May 17th, 2010, 20:36
Thirty years ago, 18 May 1980, Mt. St. Helens lost it. I remember when that happened. Was living in Maine then, but it was a big deal. It was a really big deal here where I live now, and the local news had a story about the 30 year anniversary of the event, and various commemorations planned for tomorrow. I was just watching a show about earthquakes on the TV, and the guy was talking about the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which is responsible for Mt. St. Helesns, and Rainier, Hood, Adams, Baker, and historically gigantic earthquakes, much bigger then the San Andreas fault system. Oh, great! So, 30 years ago today. Mt. St. Helens...

PRB
May 17th, 2010, 20:49
Oops. I should read the other posts first. Sorry, Terry. Everyone disregard this one... :icon_lol:

Willy
May 17th, 2010, 22:17
Out of the New Madrid and into the Cascadia Subduction, eh?

Gdavis101
May 18th, 2010, 22:39
I was 9 years old and living in Yakima Washington.. I remember it like it was yesterday!

deathfromafar
May 18th, 2010, 22:47
Does anyone remember the few days after the eruption when the skies in the East turned bright green at sunset as the ash came over? That caused quite a few people where I lived at the time to freak out! LOL!

tigisfat
May 18th, 2010, 22:49
Did they ground air traffic for Mt St Helens?

mrogers
May 19th, 2010, 00:17
Goodness! Didn't seem that long ago...how time passes very quickly. I still remember the eruption like it was yesterday.