PDA

View Full Version : Making my models compile for FSX gold

Sid2008
May 17th, 2010, 06:41
Hello everyone, I design freeware aircraft in FSDS 3.5 and compile them with MakeMdl. I have no problems doing this for FS 2004. I have even done this, successfully, with the original FSX basic, which I think, came out in 2006.

Last week I bought FSX gold and tried to install the SDKs that were on the disks, including the SP1 SDK. Those aircraft that I designed and compiled with MakeMDL were flyable in the opriginal FSX, but did not even show up in FSX gold.

This got me thinking about loading Jens Kristensen's freeware airplanes in FSX gold. In doing so, I see that the installation wizard briefly talks about some kind of "SP1 compatibility". I wonder if those airplanes compatible with the original FSX (or FSX basic?) have been modified somehow to make them compatible for the FSX with Acceleration?

Simultaneously, I am wondering that when I load the freware Lockeheed Electra in FSX gold, I cannot see the external skin of the airplane. Same thing happens for the Alphasim Mars for FSX in FSX gold. How do I make these airplanes all compatible with FSX gold?

Thank you,
Sid

hairyspin
May 17th, 2010, 10:24
AFAIK a model can be built compatible with FSX or FSX SP1 or SP2 or Acceleration (which is what you get with FSX Gold). Consequently you have to decide which flavour to compile (and in some matters build) for. It's a tiresome nuisance, but that's what we are apparently stuck with now that ACES has been disbanded and the code is for all intents and purposes frozen.

The SDK also has to be installed to suit your preferred flavour. Lots more info about this at FSDeveloper.com