PDA

View Full Version : Welll, she's almost ready..

warchild
May 17th, 2010, 01:27
Just have to copy in some new sound files and play with the cab view a tiny bit.. Theres also still the odd ends hanging here and there, but i'll get those sorted with time. Toll then, i think she looks pretty good. I aint half as good at art as I used to be, so i;m kinda proud she came out as good as she duid.. Just in time for my birthday too :) :)
Hope you like her..
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Mopac2.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Mopac3.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/Mopac1.jpg

Snuffy
May 17th, 2010, 03:18
I just hate people who are more talented than I am ...

I'm bustin a nut here trying to figure this out and :pop: ol' Pam is creatin models and etc ...

:monkies:

Lookin good! ;)

Lionheart
May 17th, 2010, 04:58
lolololol...

I know how you feel Snuffy. She is really doing awesome with this. Seems to be recreating RW into her own train sim....!

txnetcop
May 17th, 2010, 06:40
Pam are you going to force me to buy Railworks too???? That looks really sweeeeeeeeet!
Ted

Henry
May 17th, 2010, 08:34
speechless in shreveport:ernae:
H

warchild
May 17th, 2010, 14:59
Awwwww. You Guyyyysss.. :) :) .. Loves ya's :)..
Henry! if it wasnt for you, i couldnt do this at all. Your advice on RW-Tools was smack on. its proven invaluable. I know you guys can do thi too and your just being kind :).. I'm not really good, just, obnoxiously persistent. There's maybe fourty layers in the psd file for that engine alone. Most of them are adjustment layers that have a smalll dot or line one pixel wide in them (sometimes two pixels wide ). Instead of using 3DS Max to create models, i use it to draft 2D designs that i render and save as jpg's. In max, i use the bump map from the engine i'm working on as the viewport background and simpply draft my design on top of that. I use that bump map in photoshop the same way. i just make it a transparent high conrast layer and paint on seperate layers over top of it. one layer for each seperate element.
I know you guys can do this. I see you all do things that leave me speechless on an almost daily basis. It's almost like anything i say will sound like some big ego trip, and i'm not really like that. I grew up chewin on straw and i'm still pretty much like that. Just a hay seed kid. I know you guys can do this :0 and i'd love to see what you can do. Just stop telling yourselves you cant. Dont start by making the Pieta. Start with something simple. before i even think about working on Voyager, i'm gonna be learning the easiest i can and going up from there..
Start with Dick Cowens Family Lines stuff from Britkits. All the basic units are free, so if you mess up, you havent lost an investment. and he's set his files up for people who are just learning. His UV mapping ( for creating paintkits ) is uniform across his models ( except for the corragated rail cars which are slightly different ), and he's really a very decent fellow to talk too. Dont try and start off with packaging a model for upload. Paint the default textures. They're black. They can use a good paint job, and thats what he intended. The F-3 and E-7s nose is the hardest thing in there. The texture is squished, but theres a trick you can use to get around that frustration ( and it can be frustrating. i just now realized what the trick is.. god i can be slow.. ).
Like I said.. Love you guys. I have the engines for the E-7 set up to upload, but I'm having prroblem with the rail cars, so Dick and i are exploring that and looking for a way to fix it, but its slow work.. In all honesty, i know more about the surface of pluto than i do xml programming. its just tht alien to me, but i'm trying, and i will succeed. Once i have all the textures and cars working correctly I'll upload them so you can have them too :) :) .. I cant tell you how happy i am that you like my work. I consider it a real honor, and a super nice birthday present :) :) :) :) ..
Hugggsss::
Pam

warchild
May 17th, 2010, 15:29
lolololol...

I know how you feel Snuffy. She is really doing awesome with this. Seems to be recreating RW into her own train sim....!

::Chuckles:: Nahhh, Just getting away from the slab sided monotone stuff for a while and going bak to some of the designs that came about when class and style were words that had meaning, and limits were defined only by the imagination. When customer service was a real word, and dignity, respect and integrity defined a way of living. :)..
Pam :)

warchild
May 17th, 2010, 15:50
Pam are you going to force me to buy Railworks too???? That looks really sweeeeeeeeet!
Ted

::LOL:: Nope, but if ya doo, i promise i'll keep trying even harder to give you guys some decent trains to drive. I'm incapable of doing scenery at this point, but the machines i can always do.
I grew up less than a block away from the rock islands tracks, and i still live within half a mile of bnsf track, so i'm thinking about pulling some of the sound files into sonic forge and remastering them to give them the correct bas note that seems to be missing from every train i've played with ( including in msts ). I'm also thinking about reworking the f-3 and e-7s cab views. Now, to be honest, when your in the real train and sitting down, you cant se out the windshield. the seat is too low. So i'm thinking about breking some more rules and raising the view up some so you CAN see out the windshield..
I had msts on here, and it was Ok, but even with the myriad of stuff available for it, it just didnt compare. Theres not much available for Railworks yet, but its getting better every week. More and more scenery is coming on line with new routes, scenario's and equipment choices to be found. Its file structure is not laid out as elegantly as flight sims, but its functionality is a lot simpler than some of the functional aspects of msts. Sadly, there's still no way that you and i can drive different trains and meet for coffee in St Luis, but maybe someday there will be. For now, its a wonderful way to relax for those that like to drive, and for those that l8ike to putter about with creating things, its a tinkers dream.. Is it worth the fifty bucks?? i suppose it can be. it really depends on the level of emotional investment your willing to place into it and the level of enjoyment you have with it.. Earth is earth, dirt is dirt. theres only so many ways you can model it, and trains are trains, theres only so many ways you can drive them. So its the quality of experience that becomes the decidin factor so many times. RW offers Virtual Cockpits and head out views, with good basic scenery and some really exceptional stuff being developed in the wings. Youd have to ask someone else about creating routes as i just cant seem to get that down, but the process appears easy enough, unlike msts's activities manager.. And, quite frankly, it gives me the perfect escape from calculating numbers all day.. nothing in the world is as relaxing as the throb of those diesel engines.. It doesnt really matter where you go, its the journey getting there that counts. Unfortunately, i have a habit of falling asleep while listening to the engines.. Oh well.. :)..
Pam