PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite aircraft?

tigisfat
May 17th, 2010, 00:06
I was giving this topic some thought, and I thought it'd make a good thread. More to the point, I'd like to gather some metrics to see how many people are like me. I don't have a specific favorite aircraft. There are a small few that I'm pretty rabid about, but by and large I have way to many favorite aircraft to pinpoint one that's hands and shoulders above the rest. There are very few aircraft I consider boring and uninteresting. Usually a good sim product or a real world flight can set me off on one plane for a month or two.

What is it? Do you have one specific aircraft that you love more than any other? Do you have many aircraft that are 'your favorite' so to speak?

Please tell us about them.

kilo delta
May 17th, 2010, 00:30
My all time favourite was and always will be the F-4 Phantom. My love for this model stems from my earliest childhood memories of seeing them almost daily overfly my home at very low altitude and with their asses on fire :d.

tigisfat
May 17th, 2010, 00:34
My all time favourite was and always will be the F-4 Phantom. My love for this model stems from my earliest childhood memories of seeing them almost daily overfly my home at very low altitude and with their asses on fire :d.

Where was this? The F-4 really seems to do it for a lot of people.

gigabyte
May 17th, 2010, 01:38
I can't pick between the DC3 and the C130, they are both equally favs of mine, I have never had the opportunity to ride in either, but I love piloting both in FSX, and always enjoy the chance to see either in real life.

When I think of the number of miles flown by DC 3's since it first took to the sky I am amazed at how this aircraft has served and continues to fly today, awsome aircraft.

The C130 is another one that is likely to be around for generations, just look at the versitility of that airframe, everything from basic transport to a Gunship, and they have even tried floats, ski's and a carrier landing.

I just can't pick a fav, but those are my top 2.

tigisfat
May 17th, 2010, 01:44
I can't pick between the DC3 and the C130, they are both equally favs of mine, I have never had the opportunity to ride in either, but I love piloting both in FSX, and always enjoy the chance to see either in real life.

When I think of the number of miles flown by DC 3's since it first took to the sky I am amazed at how this aircraft has served and continues to fly today, awsome aircraft.

The C130 is another one that is likely to be around for generations, just look at the versitility of that airframe, everything from basic transport to a Gunship, and they have even tried floats, ski's and a carrier landing.

I just can't pick a fav, but those are my top 2.

C-130s are great aircraft that have given taxpayers a lot of function for their dollar, there can be no doubt, but riding on one is decidedly unremarkable, loud and very uncomfortable. The only thing you're missing out on is a headache and the worst sleep of your life.:ernae:

If you want to know what riding on a C-130 is like, set up a few industrial fans in a room (the ones so loud you can't even yell over them), increase the temp in the room to about 100, and set the room on hydraulics that randomly slam and jolt you around. Oh yeah, make sure the room smells like sweat and jet fuel. Make sure that anywhere you sit in said room has something poking you.:icon_lol:

kilo delta
May 17th, 2010, 02:31
Where was this? The F-4 really seems to do it for a lot of people.

This was in the UK during the early 70's ,when the Cold War was in full swing. Most of the Phantom's that I saw were Spey engined RAF examples...loud and smokey..though I'm sure that there were a few USAFE examples too.

Railrunner130
May 17th, 2010, 02:46
It's been said that the airplane you are currently flying is your favorite. Anything else would be bad juju.

I've crewed the Herk for going on eight years now. I've been many, many places in it and even made it around the world once. I understand the distaste for it, but I also have grown to appreciate it. Hauling big trucks out of short, dirt strips will do that. So will days of hauling vehicles, passengers, palletized cargo and still managing to sneak in an air evac or airdrop for good measure. All in a single day. The kids love the J model, but I'm a legacy guy. Crew of six please.

But, I'll admit, I am sucker for the F-4. Big, loud, fast and double ugly. For it there is no substitute. That is the airplane that got me interested in aviation in the first place.

I'm also into the seaplanes, such as the Boeing 314, Short Empire, De Havilland Beaver and Otter (any version really), Grumman Goose, Martin Mars and Consolidated Catalina. I could go on.

The DC-3 is an undeniable classic. I worked at an overhaul facility many years ago and they took on a DC-3. The airplane was ferried in for work, and hadn't otherwise flown in three years. It was still a rock solid airplane. It needed (literally) a few rivets to repair a tiny crack in the wing spar, but was otherwise in good shape for having not flown in a long time. I took a pickup and bought plywood to re-floor it. The avionics were upgraded and some engine work plus a touch up of the paint and she was on her way.

Brian_Gladden
May 17th, 2010, 03:10
My favorite planes either drag their tails, float or have round engines. So Ideally, the Grumman Goose fits all three criteria. but in truth. anything that flies is cool.

Brian

Naki
May 17th, 2010, 03:29
I was just thinking the other day what aircaft that really have that X factor for me personally...

Waco YMF-5
Stinson SR-9 Reliant
Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX
P-51D Mustang
P-40E or N/M Kittyhawk
Hawker SeaFury
Yakelov Yak-3
Douglas DC-6
Beech 18
Siai Marchetti SF-260
DHC Chipmunk
Messerschmit BF-109G
Bucker Jungmann
Hawker Hunter

The list changes with time but there are some core ones like the Spitfire and Kittyhawk

wombat666
May 17th, 2010, 03:29
Spitfire PR.X.
The pick of the litter.
:ernae:

Roadburner440
May 17th, 2010, 03:38
Definately for me the Tupolev Tu-142 (NATO is Tu-95 Bear). While the Russians have lifted a lot of ideas from other countries (to me most notably the Tu-4 Bull which was a reverse engineered B-29, and they made quite a few variants of it). Also the Tu-144 which was a Concorde likeness (Russians managed to get theirs in the air first, although it was slower and never entered commercial service). The Tu-95 at it's inception took brand new ideas that they learned from the Germans after the war (steeply swept back wings), and incorporated some innovations of their own such as the contra-rotating props. Over it's 50+ years of service it has been upgraded to do almost a limitless amount of missions from nuclear bombing to maritime patrol. After the Tu-95 though I am a big fan of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning, Rockwell B-1B, Sikorsky H-60's (hard not to like what you work on), and the Antonov An-225. Better leave it at 5 cause I could go on all day.

OBIO
May 17th, 2010, 04:16
I have a number of "favorite" aircraft.

When it comes to fighter jets, there is nothing like the F-4 Phantom. Fell in love with that plane as a kid when my brother brought me home a model kit for one.

Attack Jet....the A-7, or is it the A-4? Too close to call.

Vintage transport goes to DC-3. One of the most beautiful airframe designs of all time.

Modern transport goes to the C-130. 50 years young and still working its bippie off around the world.

Vintage Single Engine GA: Beaver

Vintage Single Engine GA Float: Beaver again

Vintage twin Engine: Lockheed L-10 Electra

Bomber: B-24

There are others that are my favorites, that are nearly as dear to my heart as the planes listed. Cessna 120/140, Cessna T-50 Bobcat, F-8 Crusader, Grumman Goose, Wideon and Albatross. Anything by Lockheed that has one or two round motors. Should I list the Pipers that I am extremely fond of: Cub, Super Cub, Pacer, Tri-Pacer and Super Pacer.

In truth, my taste in planes is a lot like my taste in cars. Most pre-1973 models are cool in my book. Post 1973 and there are a some that I like a lot, a few that I am head over heels about.

OBIO

lifejogger
May 17th, 2010, 05:02
Here are mine:

Single Engine GA - Mooney M20J
Twin Engine GA - Beechcraft Duke
Bush Plane - Cessna 185
Classic Single Engine -Beechcraft Staggerwing
Classic Twin Engine - DC-3
Warbird Bomber - B-17
Warbird Fighter - F4F Wildcat

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2010, 05:41
RF-4 and F-104 are my favourites, RF-4 so much my first tattoo was of 'spooky' to remind me of 'home', earliest childhood memory was being in the garden, hearing a jet, looking up and seeing the RF-4 going over, gear and flaps down, as for the F-104... i love it because it was the first aircraft i saw flying low level through a valley. these were both in Greece, the Phantom... Larissa AB, 348MPA. unfortunately the family of spooks on my shoulder is expanding, it went from spooky by himself, to greek spooky, now i'm eyeing up the english spooky :icon_lol:

txnetcop
May 17th, 2010, 06:13
When you're deep in crap and hell breaking loose all around you there is nothing like watching a formation of F-4s or Skyraiders come in and tear things up!!! It's one heck of show. The only other comparable show is PUFF what an aircraft...what an incredible weapons platform!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2010, 06:19
When you're deep in crap and hell breaking loose all around you there is nothing like watching a formation of F-4s or Skyraiders come in and tear things up!!! It's one heck of show. The only other comparable show is PUFF what an aircraft...what an incredible weapons platform!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

only things i've had the priviledge of seeing do CAS are Harriers and an A-10... which decided to shower us in shell casings... but yeah, RF-4/F-4 really do brighten your day, granted they make a beautiful noise and look cool too, but who can ever really deny that the F-104 made a great noise too :icon_lol: that whine at 80%(ish) throttle man what a noise!

traindriver98
May 17th, 2010, 06:21
:salute:B-17. I have always felt a conection to that aircraft, don't know why.

txnetcop
May 17th, 2010, 06:28
only things i've had the priviledge of seeing do CAS are Harriers and an A-10... which decided to shower us in shell casings... but yeah, RF-4/F-4 really do brighten your day, granted they make a beautiful noise and look cool too, but who can ever really deny that the F-104 made a great noise too :icon_lol: that whine at 80%(ish) throttle man what a noise!

I've seen 'em fly and they are pretty to look at in the sky, but never saw one in action...that was another war. The best shot of one I saw on TV was the movie The Right Stuff on a big screen with lots of sound. We also had one at Cavanaugh Air Museum here in Addison. Chuck Yeager sure knew how to wring that rascal out!
Ted

Hey Tigs-good thread!

Bjoern
May 17th, 2010, 06:30
Dornier 328.

Seen 'em for years zoomin' over my school on final for Mannheim at the same time every day. So this little buggar kind of grew on me, especially as a symbol for the last two extremely awesome years at school.

I've even learned my way around the FSX SDK and the related tools to get it properly into the sim.

By now, I consider myself married to this thing. If I got the opportunity to fly one permanently...well, the relationship with one of another gender wouldn't survive that or suddenly be of less importance. :d

Lionheart
May 17th, 2010, 06:46
I have several.. arrgh...

Fairchild 24R
Northrop Flying Wing (jet, final version)
Horten flying wings, like the WWII fighter as well as a couple of their gliders
Epic LT and Victory (cause induced druel trauma, very messy)

Bill

Lionheart
May 17th, 2010, 07:07
The other two..

cheezyflier
May 17th, 2010, 07:09
i have several, depending on the category

pt-17 stearman for oldies
cessna 337 for g/a twin
kodiak quest for the bush
dc-3 for the longevity and toughness
b-25 for ww2 stuff
epic victory for vlj
f-16 for jet fighter
bombardier crj for regional jet

Cazzie
May 17th, 2010, 07:38
The question was specific, only one airplane and do I need to say more. Neil Armstrong once stated he was more at peace flying his Champ than in any airplane or spacecraft he ever piloted.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/cb_5.jpg

Snuffy
May 17th, 2010, 07:41
Has always been the B-17.

b52bob
May 17th, 2010, 08:18
Only one guess allowed

Henry
May 17th, 2010, 08:48
um um ?
i see no one here has mentioned
whats that thing called again
its on the tip of my tongue dontcha hate getting old
its got bentley engines or wait!
nah rolls royce
i will have to check my little book
it starts with an m:confused:
H

Curtis P40
May 17th, 2010, 08:58
Ever since reading my first book many many years ago, God is my Co-pilot, The Curtiss P-40
Another plane I fell in love with after getting my PPL, The PA-18 Super Cub.
Curt:kilroy:

stiz
May 17th, 2010, 09:00
Handley page halifax without a shadow of a boubt :engel016:

Bone
May 17th, 2010, 09:06
The F-4 Phantom...and it doesn't matter which model, I love them all.

Clarke123
May 17th, 2010, 09:10
F-14 Tomcat

dominique
May 17th, 2010, 09:39
Many, as the aviation history is full of grand stories I dont want to choose from. A short selection :

The highflyers SR71 and U2, technological wonders, I wish I could embark in a mission for the view...

The venerable DC3 because of the mystique (The Hump, D-Day, Indiana Jones :)). I am old enough to have been a passenger in a DC 3 and a C47, long ago in a faraway land...

The Spitfire and P-51, not only because of they're good-looking great performers but because they made the difference, they meant freedom.

Other great planes, the Beech Staggerwing (any model 17 !), the F86, the Mirage IV (another beautiful bird), the Concord.

and, of course,

the Piper Cub :jump:

robcap
May 17th, 2010, 10:05
uhm, one, that would be a DC2 :d, you know: no DC3 without the DC2 and all that.....:kilroy:

jhefner
May 17th, 2010, 10:12
Agree with all of the above, but want to add one more -- the P-3 Orion.

They still make regular trips in and out of the airport I work at; and seeing them mix it up with 737s is like watching a time capsule in motion. Although a turboprop, it is the only four engine plane I get to see on a regular basis; and takes me back to the planes from the Golden Age of Aviation.

It's story is an ironic one. The Lockheed Electra, from which it was derived, suffered from a bad reputation after a series of crashes due to vibration resonance in the engine mounts, which caused the wings to rip off in flight. It was also quickly made obsolete by the first jetliners.

Yet, the P-3 itself is one of the aircraft used as hurricane hunters by NOAA and the Air Force, vindicating the soundness of it's original design. Like the C-130; it is another design that was so good, it is still with us today, and will be with other nations for some time to come.

-James

luckydog
May 17th, 2010, 10:14
Beech Staggerwing

Willy
May 17th, 2010, 11:06
Beech 18 (Milton's is my default aircraft in FS)

Honorable Mention:
Spitfire PR.XIX
Boeing 307 Stratoliner
Cessna 337 Skymaster
Lockheed Constellation (the early short Connie L049, L649, L749)
P-38 Lightning
DC-3

Bjoern
May 17th, 2010, 11:39
um um ?
nah rolls royce

Messerschmit Bf-109F experimental fittet with a RR Merlin. :p:

brad kaste
May 17th, 2010, 13:34
....Mosquito,.......B-25 Mitchell,....and the F4U-Corsair,....in no particular order.

Dain Arns
May 17th, 2010, 15:32
So many favorite airplanes, depending on the era, or age, or decade. Whichever is correct.
Usually the ones with great 'lines'. :d

Helicopters, any of the MD500E's and on. Really like the MD530F.

Allen
May 17th, 2010, 16:32
I have a few Favorite aircraft but the one I'm sweet on right now is the P-39.

This web site http://www.fritzthefox.com/ww2guide/p39.html sums up the P-39 nicely. I ll quote it.

"The Airacobra was an innovative and promising mid-engine design that was completely screwed up by the Army Engineering and Procurement Department. Somebody at Wright Field was apparently obsessed with aerodynamic drag, and in a fit of streamlining ended up removing a lot of really useful parts of the airplane. They forced Bell to make design changes that turned the P-39 into a troublesome, spin-prone aircraft which soon earned the nickname the "Iron Dog"."

Flyboy208
May 17th, 2010, 16:36
I can only narrow it down to four, F4U Corsair, F/A-18 Hornet, Dassault Mirage 2000-5 and the rugged Pilatus P-3.

Mike :salute:

euroastar350
May 17th, 2010, 17:38
Thats an easy answer for me. The Eurocopter Ecureuil series. Single, twin...doesn't matter. Such an elegant and sleek design. Been up in 2 of them and love the smooth ride it offers. And its my username:wiggle:

boxcar
May 17th, 2010, 17:58
..... F-5e-LO

Ken Stallings
May 17th, 2010, 18:16
It's pretty much like me answering the question, "Who is my favorite child!"

I have two children and both of my favorite.

I have two airplanes and both are my favorite!

I can honestly say I have never piloted an airplane that I hated or even disliked.

I have flown C-130's, MQ-1, Aerostar, Seminole, Baron, Skyhawks, RV-8, and a long time ago even a Bonanza. I found they all flew great and were enjoyable.

Frankly, my best definition of a great airplane is any aerospace vehicle that is capable of getting you aloft and allowing you a fair chance to make a nice landing when it is time to do so.

Cheers,

Ken

Piglet
May 18th, 2010, 01:15
Pretty much some the planes I have built.
A-1
OV-10
F-5
PC-7
P-39
P-51's in non-US markings.
A-10
And......
And....... and....

gigabyte
May 18th, 2010, 02:18
C-130s are great aircraft that have given taxpayers a lot of function for their dollar, there can be no doubt, but riding on one is decidedly unremarkable, loud and very uncomfortable. The only thing you're missing out on is a headache and the worst sleep of your life.:ernae:

If you want to know what riding on a C-130 is like, set up a few industrial fans in a room (the ones so loud you can't even yell over them), increase the temp in the room to about 100, and set the room on hydraulics that randomly slam and jolt you around. Oh yeah, make sure the room smells like sweat and jet fuel. Make sure that anywhere you sit in said room has something poking you.:icon_lol:

Now that sound like a real ball, first the noise is no problem, I just turn off the Cochlear Implant Processor and I hear nothing, the heat is what I like, living in Atlantic Canada gives me a real appreciation for warmth, a rough ride would be nothing new I get that every time I drive down the street here at home, our pot holes are big enough to swallow small cars in one gulp, the aroma of jet fuel and sweat might take a few minutes to get used to, but I grew up on fishing boats so strong odors are no big deal, OK I might not like the stuff poking into me so much, but I can take some extra padding to allow for that, all in all that C130 ride sounds like a great bit of fun, yup I'd love to do it one day, and god willing if I get a chance I will in a heartbeat.

ARDVARK
May 18th, 2010, 05:15
A10 Tankbuster hands down for fixed wing.

Helicopter..Mi-24, absolute beast.

safn1949
May 18th, 2010, 08:46
Lockheed Super Constellation,one of the most beautiful airplanes ever.I was at an airshow in upstate NY many years ago and saw one do a low,angled (as in one wing lower then the other,sorry I don't know the proper term) flyby.I was thrilled to finally see one in flight.

I have been inside of the Air Force One Connie at WPAFB,unfortunately I had to bail out quickly because of my claustrophobia (they have Plexiglas panels lining the aircraft,it is about 30" wide inside) I love to fly one in CFS 2 and I will soon install FS 2004 and try it there.

Kinda funny,you should have seen me shoot out that door on the Connie.:d

dominique
May 18th, 2010, 08:57
A10 Tankbuster hands down for fixed wing.

Helicopter..Mi-24, absolute beast.

I thought you'd say the F-111 :), a great aircraft BTW

tigisfat
May 18th, 2010, 08:59
I've had many favorites, like I said, but my keenest observation has me loving whatever aircraft that is of the moment. I've never like MD-11s much, but on the worst deployment of my life a world MD-11 took me home. I remember thinking that the aircraft was truly a magical machine. :salute:

Marvin Carter
May 18th, 2010, 10:49
FW 189!!!

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/Marvin-56/first/SY_Fw-189_Luftwaffe_Generic_Desert_.jpg

peperez
May 18th, 2010, 11:15
Definately for me the Tupolev Tu-142 (NATO is Tu-95 Bear). While the Russians have lifted a lot of ideas from other countries (to me most notably the Tu-4 Bull which was a reverse engineered B-29, and they made quite a few variants of it). Also the Tu-144 which was a Concorde likeness (Russians managed to get theirs in the air first, although it was slower and never entered commercial service). The Tu-95 at it's inception took brand new ideas that they learned from the Germans after the war (steeply swept back wings), and incorporated some innovations of their own such as the contra-rotating props. Over it's 50+ years of service it has been upgraded to do almost a limitless amount of missions from nuclear bombing to maritime patrol. After the Tu-95 though I am a big fan of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning, Rockwell B-1B, Sikorsky H-60's (hard not to like what you work on), and the Antonov An-225. Better leave it at 5 cause I could go on all day.

To be truthfull, Tupolev 144 was faster and owned a lot to other Soviet planes that flew before Concorde, including Sukhoi T-8. The fleet flew comercially but was uneconomical and too noisy internally to be confortable. As German engineers, Soviet one has a taste for the uncommon. They pionered delta and swepth back wings before WW2. They even tested variable technology with a series that flew as biplane and monoplane.

Why Concorde and Tu-144 was so similar? Cause they were designed with same requirements. It's the same with Boeing 707 and DC-8 and VC-10 and Il-62.

Cheers

Pepe

peperez
May 18th, 2010, 11:18
My favourite plane is the Dewoitine D.550! A fine racer and fighter with pedigree. Another one is the Blackburn Botha. It will try to kill you sice you are aboard...

Cheers

Pepe

stuartcox
May 18th, 2010, 11:48
The BBMF Lancaster.
I can see it several times a year going to the different airshows. Just the sound gives me goosepimples!

fsafranek
May 19th, 2010, 00:39
Well, the Mirage obviously. Especially the older ones before the whole thing was one big computer.

I've always liked the F-4 because it was THE fighter-bomber while I was growing up.

And of course the B-1B because I worked at Rockwell when we were building them. Working in publications and later as Editor of the company paper I had incredible access to that aircraft. Those were the days.

In GA I've always like the Cessna Skymaster and the MU-2. For commuters the Swearinger Metroliner and going back even earlier, the Convair 580.
:ernae:

hewman100
May 19th, 2010, 01:56
First love: Lancaster

Most enduring: Hurricane, an aeroplane with character.

Others in no particular order, Mustang, Mossie, Wildcat, Swordfish, and the Vulcan. No other jet comes close.

beana51
May 19th, 2010, 07:13
For me I guess its the planes in real world I have flown,general Aviation airplanes,the Cessna's,Pipers,Beech's,cubs,` Aeroncas , luscombes,Citbraias,and the like...on the Sim ,my start up plane is the "Flight 1 Archer"...yes the 2002 version,and still a great plane, the other is the AOPA Cardinal, that is my FSX start up.....It could be I flew Cherokees , and all, and owned some of them..In my Walter Mitty world, the HEAVY IRONS catch my fancy! just my 2 coppers!...thanx Vin!

"VIVA LA DIFFERENCE"

Lionheart
May 19th, 2010, 07:18
FW 189!!!

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/Marvin-56/first/SY_Fw-189_Luftwaffe_Generic_Desert_.jpg

Awesome shot Marvin! That is one very unique aircraft design.

How, how, how... can a country the size of Texas come out with so many dang aircraft in 7 years????? HOW?

Bjoern
May 19th, 2010, 07:39
How, how, how... can a country the size of Texas come out with so many dang aircraft in 7 years????? HOW?

Engineers, Bill...*good* engineers! ;) :d

Skittles
May 19th, 2010, 13:07
Engineers, Bill...*good* engineers! ;) :d

And a rampaging war budget.

peperez
May 19th, 2010, 13:10
Awesome shot Marvin! That is one very unique aircraft design.

You built one of my prefered planes: the Bugatti! What a plane! Other racer that I love, but unhappily has no simulation version, is the Tsunami.

Cheers

Pepe

Odie
May 19th, 2010, 13:28
My all-time favorite a/c is the Grumman F-14 Tomcat....all variants. Hands down.

Second Runner-up is the P-51 Mustang....all variants.

After those two, any military a/c, experimental or production, share the third place spot.

PRB
May 19th, 2010, 19:34
The first airplane I ever saw on the ground was a bright green Beech 18 at the Augusta State Airport (KAUG) in Maine, when I was a wee lad. I'll never forget that moment. Then there was the time me and a navy buddy from "A School" in Memphis "discovered" the B-17F "Memplis Belle" in a field out by the Memphis airport in 1980. It was locked up so we couldn't climb in, but next to the Boeing was a abandoned silver ... Beech 18, and it was unlocked! We spent hours inside that plane, sitting in the cockpit. Beech 18 has always been a favorite since then.

And P-38s.

letsgetrowdy
May 20th, 2010, 10:57
The Hawker Hurricane, always....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Hurricane_IIC_PZ865.jpg

Toastmaker
May 20th, 2010, 11:25
As a purpose-built, military warplane, the Phantom F-4 embodies all the caracteristics my brain says should be there. Big, hulking, brutish looking killer. Even standing still, it says "I will kill often and kill spectacularly".

What a machine !

:running:

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 14:19
Whoa, 69 voters? Is that a record around here for a poll?

N2056
May 20th, 2010, 14:49
Mine should be no surprise to the regulars at SOH.
Thorp T-18 :d

Moses03
May 20th, 2010, 15:18
The Lockheed twins are tough to beat; (Super Electra, Hudson, Lodestar, Ventura & Harpoon) and the Convair B-36J has a special place but this one is right at the top of the list:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2eoa0l0.jpg

:)

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 16:07
The Lockheed twins are tough to beat; (Super Electra, Hudson, Lodestar, Ventura & Harpoon) and the Convair B-36J has a special place but this one is right at the top of the list:

:)

Whoa, What on earth is that? It's so ugly it's awesome. Those aren't turboprops, are they? Is that a recent pic? Where was the pic taken?

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 16:10
Mine should be no surprise to the regulars at SOH.
Thorp T-18 :d

Do you have any large professional quality pics of the plane?

N2056
May 20th, 2010, 16:45
I'm not sure what you are seeking. I have some pics that are higher resolution, but they are all pics that I have taken with my very plain digital camera. My big pics are over the limit here :d

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 16:50
I'm not sure what you are seeking. I have some pics that are higher resolution, but they are all pics that I have taken with my very plain digital camera. My big pics are over the limit here :d

Don't get me wrong, you take good pics, but these are small. Do you have a photobucket or shutterfly account? That's how Panther posts his 5,000,000 X 10,000,000 pixel photos of buffed chicks, motorcycles and whatever. I'd just like to save a large hi res picture of your T-18 to get into my wallpaper rotation.

Willy
May 20th, 2010, 17:00
Moses' pic is of a Avro Shackleton which was powered by Rolls Royce Griffon piston engines pulling counter rotating props. The last one flying was grounded a little while back.

MaddogK
May 20th, 2010, 21:20
Depends on my mood:
1. YF-17
1a F-18C
2. P-40
3. FLANKER BABY !!! (SU-37)
4. SAAB Gripen
5. Waco CTO
6. FW 190
7. L-10 Electra
8. 727
9. DC-10
10. Widgeon

...in that order

HorusJ
May 20th, 2010, 21:57
As for myself:

GA Type - V35 Bonanza(since I was a kid I dreamed of. . .)
Airliner Type - N791AS(as seen in my avatar)
Warbird Type - Ju87 Stuka(such a historic icon)
Modern Military Type - Tornado GR1(little plane,BIG noise)

CG_1976
May 20th, 2010, 22:21
Hawker Typhoon and Yukon
F/A 18 and CF-18
CC-138 and Jayhawk

Quixoticish
May 20th, 2010, 23:50
Whoa, What on earth is that? It's so ugly it's awesome. Those aren't turboprops, are they? Is that a recent pic? Where was the pic taken?

To elaborate, they originally entered service as maritime patrol aircraft in the late 40's, early 50's, but it was retired in this role in the early 70's by the Nimrod. The version in the picture is a bit of a Heath Robinson affair; the total failure of the airborne early warning Nimrod (http://www.ausairpower.net/Nimrod-AEW.3-2.jpg) programme meant that the radars from retired Fairey Gannets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Gannet) (another beautifully ugly aircraft) were slapped on in order to provide some AEW capability, and they actually continued flying in this role until the early 90's when we finally bought the E-3.

The Shackletons were delightfully noisy and always a lovely sight to behold, I used to see them trundling up and down various Scottish Lochs whilst out fishing quite often.

Overshoe
May 22nd, 2010, 16:27
I like high wing monoplanes, especially if they say Cessna somewhere.

misson
May 22nd, 2010, 19:15
:wiggle:

jhefner
May 24th, 2010, 10:58
Agree with all of the above, but want to add one more -- the P-3 Orion.

They still make regular trips in and out of the airport I work at; and seeing them mix it up with 737s is like watching a time capsule in motion. Although a turboprop, it is the only four engine plane I get to see on a regular basis; and takes me back to the planes from the Golden Age of Aviation.

It's story is an ironic one. The Lockheed Electra, from which it was derived, suffered from a bad reputation after a series of crashes due to vibration resonance in the engine mounts, which caused the wings to rip off in flight. It was also quickly made obsolete by the first jetliners.

Yet, the P-3 itself is one of the aircraft used as hurricane hunters by NOAA and the Air Force, vindicating the soundness of it's original design. Like the C-130; it is another design that was so good, it is still with us today, and will be with other nations for some time to come.

-James

Just a week after I posted the above -- I got to go on board one at a local airshow. :applause: First time every to see one at an airshow.

I let my youngest son sit in the pilot's seat, while I sat in a third seat, and the copilot in his seat. He handled my son's playing with the controls very, very well -- until he reached for the gear retraction lever. :jump:

It was locked up so we couldn't climb in, but next to the Boeing was a abandoned silver ... Beech 18, and it was unlocked! We spent hours inside that plane, sitting in the cockpit. Beech 18 has always been a favorite since then.

When I was in high school, we had a similiar situation; but the plane involved was a rare B-23 Dragon. It wasn't "abandoned" per say, but parked for extended period of time in one corner of the local airport.

We likewise climbed inside, and sat in the cockpit, just gaziing at the instruments. It stayed there for a year or two I think, then was flown out to a museum.

-James

Willy
May 25th, 2010, 16:04
Forgot one on my earlier list..

Douglas SBD Dauntless

stormtrooper271
May 25th, 2010, 18:36
My favorites are the Jug, the P-43 Lancer and the P-36 hawk; I have recently been interested in pre-World War II aircraft. Not much can go wrong with a B-17 Flying Fortress.

(This is my first post):icon_lol:

EasyEd
May 27th, 2010, 16:44
Hey All,

Welcome Storm!

Long as I'm here I'll answer. First I note we've no idea if your talking favorite in FS or favorite in real life or what but that said. In real life as a kid I was always intrigued by a V-tail Bonanza and a Mooney at the local airport. Later I realized that bush planes especially the 185 were cool. Today I most admire the Kodiak and the PC-12. So I would say I like a few and probably the 185, Kodiak and PC-12 top the list.

-Ed-

Ickie
May 27th, 2010, 16:48
BF-109e and P-40

magoo
May 27th, 2010, 17:27
...This one.....

peter12213
May 28th, 2010, 02:52
These three, I just love the SU30 MKI with a passion though!

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_Tornado-F3_Eurofighter_SU-30MKI_Top_lg.jpg

May 30th, 2010, 04:56
Three probably ? Focke-Wulf Ta-152, Bloch MB-157, Hawker Tempest V and now it's four "cause I forgot one - Republic XP-47J Thunderbolt

bubba620
May 30th, 2010, 04:59
Ever since I climbed aboard a B-52 at Dow Air force in Bangor Maine during a tour for us as Cub Scouts in the early sixties I have had a passion for the bomber.

pilottj
May 30th, 2010, 21:29
favorite plane I have flown for real is the Piper Comanche. I have a few favorites from experiencing them in FS. If I won the lotto and could buy any plane, i would get the SF-260 :)

tigisfat
May 30th, 2010, 21:43
These three, I just love the SU30 MKI with a passion though!

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_Tornado-F3_Eurofighter_SU-30MKI_Top_lg.jpg

It is hard to argue with it's rugged looks.:salute:

Blackbird686
May 31st, 2010, 13:21
Hogs Rule! F4U Corsair, mostly the 4's and 5's. I thought the Super Corsair was too little too late.

Next to the "Hog" I am very fond of the Hawker Sea Fury, FB11 variant. I love sitting "In the lap of the Beast".

BB686:USA-flag:

Mathias
May 31st, 2010, 14:28
In no particular order Fw190A, Do24K/T(ATT), Bf109(F), Bf110(E), Me410, He111, He219, Arado196.
Basically everyting with one or more piston engines and metric steam gauges in it.:salute::wavey:

hurricane3
June 3rd, 2010, 14:34
Who would have thunk it? My all time favorite plane is the ,(drumroll) unsung hero of the The Battle of Britain and World War II ,the Hawker Hurricane

mississippi
June 7th, 2010, 04:32
F4U-1A Corsair are P-40E :salute: :wavey:

bstolle
June 7th, 2010, 04:57
Handley Page Victor B1 far ahead of anything else.

Daveroo
June 7th, 2010, 08:02
lockheed hudson,,,P47(razorback verson)

SOLOBO
June 12th, 2010, 19:35
well ... about FS2004 aircrafts that I know... not only one...

modern jet fighters:

IRIS Mig-29
ISRA Mirage III (freeware)
ALPHASIM Sukhoi family 29/33/35/37
IRIS F-14 Tomcat
Mirage IV P by Roland Laborie (freeware)

Five pieces of art designed by very talented teams...

vintage aircrafts:

REAL AIR Spitfire XIV: unique !
Wings of power, all fighters, excellent !
ALPHA Bleu ciel F4U7 Corsair, excellent !

... :running: .... :guinness: ...

Wingmate
June 12th, 2010, 20:53
F-14 Tomcat

Cees Donker
June 13th, 2010, 01:19
Messerschmitt 109, all variants.

Cees

Tom Clayton
June 13th, 2010, 04:43
"Anything that flies without flapping!"

As long as it's self powered and leaves the ground for extended periods, I'm there! Although, I do prefer that it not simply "beat the air into submission" and that it has a glide ratio better than that of a brick!:monkies:

SOLOBO
June 13th, 2010, 15:34
... but.... but... clearly something's special for the most incredible beast of the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JnJXqRzzAE&feature=related

very special piece of art... :salute: sweet music for my ears...

Blackbird686
June 21st, 2010, 17:33
... but.... but... clearly something's special for the most incredible beast of the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JnJXqRzzAE&feature=related

very special piece of art... :salute: sweet music for my ears...

Excellent viddy Solobo. What a Magnificent Monster. :applause::applause:

BB686:USA-flag:

burcham8
July 1st, 2010, 08:53
DC-4, DC-3, P-51, P-47, F-86, J-3, Champ, Ford Tri-Motor, Fokker F.VII/3m

Marc

Cactuskid
July 5th, 2010, 10:47
Another tough question, but here goes...

Single engine GA: Cessna 182R or Bellanca Viking
Twin engine GA: Cessna 310R or Beech Duke
Bush plane: Piper PA-18 Super Cub
Amphibian: Grumman Goose or DH Beaver
Single engine warbird: NA P-51D or Vought F4U-5
Multi-engine warbird: Lockheed P-38L
Piston Bomber: B-17G or B-36J
Jet warbird: Lockheed F-16C Viper or F-15C Eagle
Jet bomber: Boeing B-47E or Rockwell B-1B
Vintage aircraft: Stearman PT-13 or Beech D-17 Staggerwing

ibl19108
July 7th, 2010, 15:49
Bf 109K
runner's up - no particular order
Spitfire
Hawker Typhoon/Tempest
P-51 Mustang
Fw-190/Ta-152
BAe Tornado
F-4 Phantom II:salute:
SEPECAT Jaguar
Mirage F.1
C-130
There are some others, but....

olderndirt
July 7th, 2010, 16:48
My favorite planes either drag their tails, float or have round engines. So Ideally, the Grumman Goose fits all three criteria. but in truth. anything that flies is cool.

BrianBrian - learned to fly in a C140, had yours in FS9. Owned a Pacer for over twenty years, had yours in FS9. Have since switched to FSX - for the scenery, I guess. Any chance of you porting over the Super Pacer for FSX.

Adding a postscript - I think the upcoming Me108 is going to be a new favorite.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
July 14th, 2010, 14:24
I always liked the F4U Corsair... But I also like the C-5 Galaxy, the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Spitfire, the BAC 1-11, the Tu-114, the Su-27, the Tu-154M, the Sukhoi SuperJet 100, the Tu-334, and the An-148 to name a few.

But I always have a heated Rivalry between the Boeing 747-8 Jumbo Jet and the Airbus A380-800 Superjumbo. I would choose the 747-8 because of its American Heritage. But the A380 is pretty cool because of its High Capacity.

I would like to hear your opinions between the 747-8 and the A380-800.

huub vink
July 18th, 2010, 04:15
The Messerschmitt Bf109-E without any doubt. In general I like to fly single engine military aircraft from the period 1935-1942 with a preference to the bad-boys (axis) side.

Above 3 engine soon starts to get too complicated for me. Therefore when I fly multi engined aircrafts the SM.79 (Manuele Villa and others) and Ju.52 (Oliver Fischer) are often the limit ;).

Cheers,
Huub

stuartcox
July 19th, 2010, 15:28
For FS...?

It has to be the Wellington!
13132 (Just a shame that the landing light doesn't fold!)

For real?

13133The F-22, I've just seen a diplay..., I'm gobsmacked!

BobbyC
August 2nd, 2010, 11:31
It has to be the Spitfire, particularly the LF MKIX and the griffon engined 14. This plane entered my consciousness at the age of about four and has stayed with me ever since. With the improvements intoduced by the AV History site, the MKIX has to be the best fighter on CFS3.

HouseHobbit
August 13th, 2010, 12:32
Here is my favorite airplane..
Thanks Ndicki..:salute:
Anyone seen my Pink flying scarf around here??:jump:

HundertzehnGustav
August 14th, 2010, 13:23
1990s - F-15 C
2000s - F/A 18 A/C Hornet
109, 110, Spit, Baltimore
--------------------------------
taking interest in other planes as times change... seen the P39, 40, Seafire, Yak 1-9,Me410...:wiggle:

aeronca1
August 15th, 2010, 05:44
MiG-21! Yes the 21 despite my moniker....

aeronca1
August 15th, 2010, 05:48
um um ?
nah rolls royce
H

Ah, yes, the "M"ustang was a nice bird!:icon_lol:

Daveroo
October 5th, 2010, 05:18
Il-2,,,,,,,,C2A...........Grumman S2 Lockheed hudson

stuartcox
October 5th, 2010, 05:25
Ah, yes, the "M"ustang was a nice bird!:icon_lol:

...or 'M'eteor? Or 'M'osquito?

Cthulhu
October 5th, 2010, 08:04
Always had a thing for all things Grumman. Particularly the F3F.

fox18delta
October 5th, 2010, 13:16
The F-18 and A-10 frequented my hometown airport (CYFC).

The hogs used to shoot up bus hulks just off a public road in Jemseg, New Brunswick, Canada, while deployed to CFB Gagetown. You could park your car, grab a seat and watch them come in just overhead, going downrange, then brrrrrrrrrrrrrrap ! Very cool.

Cf-18's used the same airport, CYFC. I lived directly on approach to RW 15. You ALWAYS knew when F-18's were around.

The first real live breathing fighter I was ever close to were Alabama ANG RF-4's. I will never forget seeing and feeling the air tremble as they passed low overhead for the first time.

Somebody told me , you never forget your first. They were right :-)

Willy
October 7th, 2010, 17:30
I've gotten pretty fond of the JBK DC-4 over the past few weeks.

n147yt
October 8th, 2010, 13:15
I ain't telling..........:kilroy:

CADFather
October 9th, 2010, 10:22
My favorite as a kid and almost all the way into adulthood was the Corsair, that all changed one cold November day when I climbed on board a C-141 for my flight home from my last overseas deployment.

CAD

argo147
October 15th, 2010, 09:31
SR-71
F-14
B-58

To name a few...but then again I don't think I've ever seen a plane that I thought was ugly, or one I didn't like lol

BOOM
January 17th, 2011, 15:19
My favorite is probably a toss-up between The Grumman F6F Hellcat and The Chance/Vought F4U Corsair.That said I believe The HellCat was a very important part of turning the tide of War in the Pacific Theater.

The F6F was Grummans answer to battling The highly manuverable Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero.With a PW R2800 Double Wasp 18cyl Radial engine, It was much more manuverable and powerful than it's predecsessor F4FWildcat,And with heavy armor/self sealing fuel tanks and six Browning .50cal Machine guns it packed a hell of a punch!!! I gotta vote for The Big Cat!!!:jump:

Panther_99FS
January 17th, 2011, 15:32
I'm amazed that this thread is still here....

BOOM
January 17th, 2011, 17:17
Haha!! I replied to this thread by mistake,I meant to reply to The WWII Aircraft thread!! lol!

JO_Wingnut
January 18th, 2011, 10:16
I have to say the B-17 has been and will always be my favorite aircraft, followed closely by the C-47/DC-3 and the PBY Catalina. I've worked around F-4's and they are loud and slow. If I had to choose a jet fighter, It would have to be the f-15, or F-16, followed closely by the f-14. I find the Harrier ugly in a beautiful sort of way. I like it's VTOL abilities.

gypsymoth
January 19th, 2011, 06:57
Björn Büchner's Taylorcraft Auster MkV for the most enjoyable low & slow flying ever..... :salute:

Daveroo
January 19th, 2011, 07:47
civilian PZL 104-35A wilga
mil IL2-3M stumovick

empeck
January 19th, 2011, 08:13
RWD-9 and Mi-24