PDA

View Full Version : Will I ever be able to enjoy FSX with this computer?

RobH
May 16th, 2010, 19:11
After ruining my last computer trying to upgrade my CPU, I was afraid to try building a new one myself. Unfortunately, my budget is rather small. I was able to purchase a fairly decent computer, or at least I thought it was.

It is a ASUS, I5 CPU 650 @ 3.2 Ghz, CG5275 Motherboard, Socket LGA 1156, 8 Gb RAM at 1333 Mhz, 400 watt power supply, and for now, only because I havent bought a new one yet, Nvidia 9500 GT 1 GB video card, Windows 7 64 bit.

Right now, I am getting worse stutters in FSX than I have ever with any computer I have owned, and they were much slower computers.

I only had the demo version, but I was able to run Rise of Flight smooth as silk, just like I can with CFS2 and FS9. I didn't have the sharpest textures, but the demo ran out before I could tweak it.

I have tried all the tweaks, and have even crashed my system a few times, but no matter what, I cannot get rid of the stutters. The stutters are not micro stutters either, it actually stutters like a 'heart beat', and they are 'hard' stutters. And, my scenery settings are on medium low, and it still kicks it hard.

I know it's not the best system, but could it ever be a decent one for FSX? I could put up with the occasional micro stutter if I have too, as long as I could possibly make it look good.

I would like to get a Nividia GTX275 card and of course, a larger power supply someday, hopefully soon. I am just wondering if I spend that kind of money for those items, will they be worth it on my system? I know each computer is different, and I wont hold anyone to their words, if my system should prove opposite. I'm just really disappointed, I actually feel like I have stepped somewhat backwards with this new system.

But, at least on the bright side, I don't own a Dell anymore, LOL!

Thanks for reading:salute:

txnetcop
May 16th, 2010, 20:06
Not much improvement with that motherboard Amigo, but there is some hope. The ASUS Essentio is basically run by an H55 Intel EXPRESS chipset. No way to OC it even with the new PSU-but need a better PSU to push a good video card. A good 256 bit interface video card will help with the micro-stutters though! But you will need at least a 550 or 600 watt PSU 50A on +12V single rail, to be able to run an MSI GTX 260 OC HOTROD TWIN FROZR for $199.00 and it is a great card, runs quite and cool. Later can upgrade to the i7 860 on that 1156 socket and with the above power supply you should do OK. It will never be a HOTROD but you should be able to run FSX at decent settings without stutters.
Ted

RobH
May 17th, 2010, 05:26
Not much improvement with that motherboard Amigo, but there is some hope. The ASUS Essentio is basically run by an H55 Intel EXPRESS chipset. No way to OC it even with the new PSU-but need a better PSU to push a good video card. A good 256 bit interface video card will help with the micro-stutters though! But you will need at least a 550 or 600 watt PSU 50A on +12V single rail, to be able to run an MSI GTX 260 OC HOTROD TWIN FROZR for $199.00 and it is a great card, runs quite and cool. Later can upgrade to the i7 860 on that 1156 socket and with the above power supply you should do OK. It will never be a HOTROD but you should be able to run FSX at decent settings without stutters.
Ted

Thank you Ted!

Is this the card you are talking about? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127464

Also, do you recommend any particular brand for a PSU?

One other thing, I need to add another fan to my case, do you recommend any brands for that? My case is somewhat customizable, so it did not come with a actual case fan in the back. It has a place for one. It looks like a large fan, possibly a 120mm? I assume the ones with lights are just for show and have no use as far as cooling, correct?

Thanks again!
Brian

txnetcop
May 17th, 2010, 05:58
Yep that is the card...it is not the cream of the crop but it is great for the money and performs wonderfully in FSX, Rise of Flight, Wings of Prey and every other game I have. I am fan of Corsair and PC Power and Colling PSUs but these have tons of cables you have hide somewhere-who cares they work great!

This PSU is great for the money vs performance:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

The best power supplies we have tested come from PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, Antec but the best of these for gaming seem to be the single rail 50A or better on +12v

Lighted fans are for show and have no bearing on performance. If you have a closed side case you don't need a lighted fan anyway
good luck
Ted

RobH
May 18th, 2010, 09:25
Thank you very much!:salute:

harleyman
May 18th, 2010, 15:45
Rob..you will also fine with FSX that low scenery settings do not mean better performance...crank them up some and see.

Did you apply just the TBM to control stutters ???

try 10 20 30 then jump to 60 70 80 90 110

RobH
May 19th, 2010, 00:14
Rob..you will also fine with FSX that low scenery settings do not mean better performance...crank them up some and see.

Did you apply just the TBM to control stutters ???

try 10 20 30 then jump to 60 70 80 90 110

Harleyman,

Are you saying just try the TBM setting alone? I have tried it, but I did it with the all the other recommeded settings as well. Also, I have never tried it with 10, 20, or 30, I have always done mine between 70 and 90. I will give them a try later today and let you know how it went.

Thanks!

harleyman
May 19th, 2010, 01:08
Harleyman,

Are you saying just try the TBM setting alone? I have tried it, but I did it with the all the other recommeded settings as well. Also, I have never tried it with 10, 20, or 30, I have always done mine between 70 and 90. I will give them a try later today and let you know how it went.

Thanks!

I have FSX on 3 computers..Each varing in power and specs....I only ever need to use the TBM setting to work and scenery on 3/4/ ot 1/2 (minimum)

So I would check out just using that config.

Delete your old one (save it for reference though) and let FSX rebuild a new one..Then just apply the TBM setting ...

RobH
May 21st, 2010, 10:11
Harleyman,

I tried all the settings you suggested and none really made a difference. I did start with a fresh CFG file. I did turn up my scenery and it didnt get any worse, which is good.

However, I did discover that water is really hitting my system hard. I have turned the water down to 1X, and it has helped some, but I still have the stutters. I also get the occasional scenery texture flicker, especially the water.

I do have the latest drivers for my card. I really wish my 9800 GT card hadnt burnt up, it worked so much better than this 9500 GT.

I have REX2 installed, and so far, the sky and clouds don't hit my system hard, but when I have sky, clouds, and water all together, then the stutters start hammering hard.

I guess I just need to start saving for some upgrades, I really dont know what else I can do?

Thanks

lucas81
May 26th, 2010, 12:41
Rob,

Have you tried the tweak with setting the bufferpools to 0 ? I had similar issues with my i5 with much better vid card and nothing worked until I applied that one. Sure, I have some minor issues with ground textures, but at least the sim "works" somehow.

EDIT: Take a look here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=26212 This one is about my, pretty similar problems :)

By the way: have you experienced huge "spikes" displayed on the ground ?

Lucas