PDA

View Full Version : "I Got to Fly the Plane!"

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 10:48
"I got to fly the plane!"

Can you imagine a more joyous exclaim from a young person?

Personally, I cannot. Which is why the EAA has sponsored an International Learn to Fly Day.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...ml?WT.adv=adv1 (http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2010/100515iltfd_frederick.html?WT.adv=adv1)

This was all part of the EAA's Airventure convention and it's a good idea. The key is to bring friends to the local airport and give them an opportunity to not only get into the air, but also handle the controls.

A CFI should be able to teach a person to takeoff and land on their very first flight.

Ken

Bjoern
May 16th, 2010, 13:48
Why can't we have something like that here? D:

I *really* do live in the world's most GA-hostile country... :|

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 15:09
Why can't we have something like that here? D:

I *really* do live in the world's most GA-hostile country... :|

If you don't mind me asking, what country is that?

Ken

Skittles
May 16th, 2010, 15:11
A CFI should be able to teach a person to takeoff and land on their very first flight.

:isadizzy:

I wish someone had told my CFI this, it would have saved me a fair chunk of cash.

TeaSea
May 16th, 2010, 15:35
Mine had me take off and land on my first intro flight....well, he told me he let me land, although I noticed his feet seemed to be on the rudder pedals the whole time....

:jump:

PRB
May 16th, 2010, 15:36
Well, I'm a dunce, because it took me 20 HRS before I got my solo! And as for kids, heck, even I jump up and down like a kid when I get to fly the plane!!

GT182
May 16th, 2010, 16:45
"I got to fly the plane!"

Can you imagine a more joyous exclaim from a young person?

Yes I can Ken, and as an old person too. ;) :d I said that after flying "Pipsqueak" the Reno racer last November. She's the L-39 I help groundcrew for. Another ride is forthcoming and I'll get to say it all over again too. :d

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 17:49
Yes I can Ken, and as an old person too. ;) :d I said that after flying "Pipsqueak" the Reno racer last November. She's the L-39 I help groundcrew for. Another ride is forthcoming and I'll get to say it all over again too. :d

Excellent point! The thrill is the same regardless of age!

Ken

N2056
May 16th, 2010, 18:14
What an awesome event! :salute:

I remember saying that years ago. Today I still do!

I'm 46. I am working on how to get my ticket. To this day after I go out with my dad in the Thorp I get that feeling. The only thing I have not done yet is land. It's not considered "formal training", but I'm learning nonetheless ;)

Bjoern
May 17th, 2010, 06:05
If you don't mind me asking, what country is that?

Yes, Ken I do mind...since it's perfectly visible on the left hand side below my avatar and join date. ;)
I can give you some hints if you need 'em though. :d

Lionheart
May 17th, 2010, 06:35
Yes, Ken I do mind...since it's perfectly visible on the left hand side below my avatar and join date. ;)
I can give you some hints if you need 'em though. :d

Ken,

Bjoern assumes you know the nickname. Bierland (beer land) in Bjoern-eeze means Germany, the Fatherland, Deutchland. :d

My dad would take up my friends in the Skyhawk. They had a blast. I had been raised with going up with dad and mom (both had licenses and we had planes as well), but seeing their excitement (freaked out like on a roller coaster) how they reacted was amazing. I didnt know it was so wild as I had always been around it. I think kids really get a kick out of it, probably more so then adults (even you Gary) as they get more overly excited.

It is awesome...

cheezyflier
May 17th, 2010, 06:41
that's (partly) how i got hooked on aviation to begin with. my dad had a buddy who was a pilot. they took me flying when i was about 6 yrs old. by the time i was 10 i had been in more planes than i have in the last 35 yrs

Cazzie
May 17th, 2010, 07:32
We do the same through EAA here in Danville, for Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, Church groups, etc.

I've been flying since the 1960s, but only on a very infrequent recreation basis. At 63, I still get a rush out of flying, I look forward to each and every time I get lucky enough to go up and "fly the plane".

Good-o on those folks Ken.

Caz

Bjoern
May 17th, 2010, 11:41
Ken,

Bjoern assumes you know the nickname. Bierland (beer land) in Bjoern-eeze means Germany, the Fatherland, Deutchland. :d

Autobahnland, Naziland...

(Most people immediately get the latter, but I found it a bit too...extreme...for a serious forum as it puts the whole country in an...err...slightly unfortunate light. :icon_lol: )

Roadburner440
May 17th, 2010, 13:54
Well I know where the Autobahn is. That is one of the great technological achievements in Germany during the war years. I absolutely detest what they did to other human beings, but they certaintly advanced technology in this world like no one had before them in such a short period of time.. On another note sorry to hear that the country is hostile toward GA piloting. Then again these are the same people who are also trying to put a speed limit on the Autobahn so it doesn't suprise me... I know when I was over in Europe I never saw many GA aircraft flying around like I do here in the states. See them all over the sky on a daily basis here, and I saw maybe 1 or 2 a day over there. I definately would love to learn to fly an airplane though. I jump up and down like a little kid just getting to take the rides in the helicopter accross the country and all. So I may collapse if I actually got to pilot something.

Ken Stallings
May 17th, 2010, 16:54
Ken,

My dad would take up my friends in the Skyhawk. They had a blast. I had been raised with going up with dad and mom (both had licenses and we had planes as well), but seeing their excitement (freaked out like on a roller coaster) how they reacted was amazing. I didnt know it was so wild as I had always been around it. I think kids really get a kick out of it, probably more so then adults (even you Gary) as they get more overly excited.

It is awesome...

Ah, OK, I've broke the code now and realize the deal.

I'll check what AOPA has for avenues within Germany and let you know what I can find for you.

Ken

Ken Stallings
May 17th, 2010, 17:04
Bjoern,

Unfortunately, this is the best information I can find, which is rather chilling:

http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/2007/feat0704.html

My advice?

Take a vacation to England or the United States and earn all your certificates!

I cannot believe how damned expensive it is to get flight training in Germany! It is incredible!

Ken

harleyman
May 17th, 2010, 18:47
My very first ride ever in a GA was my buddies 172...I got a fast lesson,(he was an instructor and air frame certified Crop Duster Pilot) and I took it into the air.

Actually he set it up and it just flew off on its own...I just gave some up to it once airborn, and flew a compas heading he told me to...I flew for an hour, loved the hell out of it till just out over the Chesepaake Bay the engine quit....At 5 thousand feet...Hmmmmm I was done after that...

I flew with him several times before that, and once he buzzed a friends house, got a bit low and slow and just made it over a mountail top..he admitted to that mistake....

Bjoern
May 18th, 2010, 09:34
My advice?

Take a vacation to England or the United States and earn all your certificates!

I cannot believe how damned expensive it is to get flight training in Germany! It is incredible

Had the offer to get a glider license for 200€, but it involved club activities.
An independent glider's license costs 700€, a PPL 7000€ and once you're on your ATPL with a type rating, you've thrown about 80000€ down the bin.
Getting your stuff done abroad isn't the best solution either (well, maybe in the UK), since you'll be fighting bureaucracy upon importing your license.

The Lufthansa didn't want me (tough selection process), so it's all plan B now. Get the Bachelor's degree, then the Master's degree, go working for a few years (while living modestly) and then build up my licenses on the way while throwing in the odd aviation holiday in the States to get some hours on the clock.
I want nothing short than ending up with an ATPL or at least an unrestricted CPL w/ IR since my ambtions lay in the upper area of the air space. :d