PDA

View Full Version : De Havilland musuem-Mossie pics

ian elliot
May 16th, 2010, 09:34
Spent an enjoyable afternoon at the De Haviland Heritage Centre just north of London, and i thought i'd share some pics, although a celebrsation of all things De Havilland, the stars of the collection are three Mosquito airframes, a fully restored mkIV, a FB version under restoration and a very rare prototype model.
Now would someone be kind enough to get Henry a bucket of cold water.
cheers ian

ian elliot
May 16th, 2010, 09:37
some more,

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2010, 09:38
i need a bucket of cold water too... i have an absolute 'lust' for this aircraft, sadly i saw the old flying one perish, anyone know of a UK mozzie destined for flight?

ian elliot
May 16th, 2010, 09:40
and 4 more

ian elliot
May 16th, 2010, 09:46
i need a bucket of cold water too... i have an absolute 'lust' for this aircraft, sadly i saw the old flying one perish, anyone know of a UK mozzie destined for flight?

That was a sad day, i saw G-ASKH display many times and would love to see another example in UK skys but i dont know if theres any planed, there's one being built in New Zeland i think that i rumord to be heading this way but how much truth there is , i dont know.
cheers ian

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2010, 10:00
That was a sad day, i saw G-ASKH display many times and would love to see another example in UK skys but i dont know if theres any planed, there's one being built in New Zeland i think that i rumord to be heading this way but how much truth there is , i dont know.
cheers ian

unfortunately i was there that fateful day, i was only young at the time and i remember quite vividly shedding a tear at both the loss of airframe and life, if she'd had another 200ft she may still have been flying today... hope theres a new mozzie headed this way, UK airshow circuit needs one..

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 10:01
SOH paging Henry, Henry, please report to the Newshawks! :engel016:

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 10:08
Ian,

Outstanding photos! Appreciate you posting them very much.

I love looking at photos of aircraft in various stages of construction because they show you the genius of the design. For me, seeing such photos is almost as much fun as flying them.

The Mossie is one of the pioneers of the attack bomber concept, taking a conventional bomber of the era, and trimming it down to its bare essentials and aircrew. Giving it raw, naked speed, it translated into the Mossie being one of the most survivable platforms in the ETO.

Cheers,

Ken

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2010, 10:58
not bad performance at all for a flying timber yard, as you say Ken... one of the most surviveable, being Ecuadorian balsa for the majority a round hits it, it goes straight through kinda nifty that plus it had a low radar observability if i recall as well... anyone elses nostrils just filled with the smell of fresh cut wood? the mossie is truely deserving of it's nickname, it was a constant nuisance, and the other nickname... the wooden wonder... she sure was... and made in furniture shops too :icon_lol:

shows how good it was with all the variants, from the early series right up to the TT.34 with the greenhouse on the nose...

Panther_99FS
May 16th, 2010, 11:22
Where's 'Enry :ques: :jump:

LOBO
May 16th, 2010, 11:44
Where's 'Enry :ques: :jump:

He just fainted.....:pop4::sleep:

L

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2010, 12:38
He just fainted.....:pop4::sleep:

L

he'll go stir-crazy when he sees them mossie pics, i'm still in a stupor just looking at them elegant lined *Drools* darn it, keyboard number 3 time... "H... don't worry it's not about your tab.... yet... look...DeHavilland type 98's!" *Points upwards*

Henry
May 16th, 2010, 15:26
Nah this morons here
watching, i have been back to london the past 2 years
thats just north of barnet
and still didnt go there
i am going back this year
and dagnabit am going there
Thanks
H

Naki
May 16th, 2010, 15:52
cheers ian

Posted this link a few threads back but here it is again. Two Mossies under restoration to fly. One Mosquito is going to the US the other stays here.

http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/

One will hopefully be flying at next years Classic Fighters show

http://www.classicfighters.co.nz/classic-fighters-news.htm

casey jones
May 17th, 2010, 11:42
I loved the short video of the Mosquito being restored, is there a prototype Mosquito for FS9??

Cheers

Casey