noddy
May 16th, 2010, 08:04

rsgunner
May 16th, 2010, 08:16
Very nice.

Russ

Panther_99FS
May 16th, 2010, 08:39
That's one bird that I do miss flying....

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 11:29
Not to mention that within FSX is the only place the F-105 can be flown today.

The USAF refuses to let any agency gain ownership or even official loan of one to restore to airworthy condition.

The USAF's official policy is that these jets remain grounded permanently!

There is a very good restoration agency with an excellent track record who is so frustrated by this policy that they are petitioning Congress to pass a law stripping the USAF of its current authority in this area. As the agency says, it is vital to preserve the legacy and history of these aircraft.

I agree with the agency. And with respect to the F-105, considering how many were lost in the Vietnam War, it is vital this preservation be done.

Ken

skyblazer3
May 16th, 2010, 13:58
Great Screenshots..... very tempting to go jump in the Thud right now. Have you guys heard any of the Dick Jonas songs about flying 105s? Pretty good stuff.

As for the Air Force policy against selling 105s to civilians.... I think the policy has to do with any aircraft capable of delivering a nuclear payload. It is a little silly since they would have to go through a full de-weaponizing process, but I'm sure that policy can be updated in time. The Air Force has to know that a Thud flying around would be good publicity, and the Collins Foundation has proven themselves fairly responsible in operating high-performance jet fighters.

Anyway.... Great screenshots; looks like you are having fun.

Cheers,

Chris

noddy
May 16th, 2010, 23:36
Thanks guys.

I read that the F-105 they have at Duxford my be on the move to Poland. Would be nice to have it in the American Hanger.

CheckSix
May 17th, 2010, 01:48
Most excellent Phots, Noddy. Thanks for helping to highlight what a wonderful job AS and the team did with this model, from the 3d rendering, FDE to the artists that gave us the paint schemes.

Thank you all.

deathfromafar
May 17th, 2010, 10:21
Not to mention that within FSX is the only place the F-105 can be flown today.

The USAF refuses to let any agency gain ownership or even official loan of one to restore to airworthy condition.

The USAF's official policy is that these jets remain grounded permanently!

There is a very good restoration agency with an excellent track record who is so frustrated by this policy that they are petitioning Congress to pass a law stripping the USAF of its current authority in this area. As the agency says, it is vital to preserve the legacy and history of these aircraft.

I agree with the agency. And with respect to the F-105, considering how many were lost in the Vietnam War, it is vital this preservation be done.

Ken

I know there are loopholes around all this. Look at the Collings Foundation's F-4D and the couple of restored F-100F's flying. If I'm not mistaken, the loophole is that the USAF's policy does not effect aircraft that have been sold to foreign nations. After such aircraft are withdrawn from service overseas, they can be demilitarized and sold back to private interests in the US for scrap metal, restoration for display or to be restored to flight status. The F-105 was never operated by a foreign air force so it would fall outside this loophole. There are a number of F-105's currently on display around the country which I figure at least one or two could be restored to flight status if for one, the Govt cleared it and the money were made available. Most all the F-105's have severely fatigued airframes/wings. It no doubt would be a major undertaking to make it happen.

txnetcop
May 17th, 2010, 10:26
I would love to have an FSX native THUD ACCUSIMMED!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

CheckSix
May 17th, 2010, 10:32
Tx, now you are just teasing! :)

skyblazer3
May 17th, 2010, 13:53
Deathfromfar,

You are 100% correct about the loophole, at the present time the (formerly) nuclear capable jets need to come from overseas and go through the de-militarization process.

And yes.... Accusim on everything!

Chris