PDA

View Full Version : Excellent site

bazzar
May 15th, 2010, 15:16
Don't know if you people already know of this one but here's the address for Sir Peter Jackson's Vintage Aeroplane site. I used to live in Wellington and remember (Sir) Peter as an aspiring young film-maker producing some very weird concepts!

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Must be great to have funds enough to indulge yourself! The work done there is exquisite.

His model company, Wingnut Wings is also looking very thorough. Has anyone built any of the kits?
I understand that they are using 3D models to render out solid models which are then used to make the molds.

http://wingnutwings.com

Roger
May 15th, 2010, 15:44
Good stuff Baz!

stiz
May 15th, 2010, 15:47
i had no idea this was peter jacksons site! had it in my favorites list for ages!

speaking of jackson ... anyone heard anything about the dambusters remake he was supposed to be doing??

Ken Stallings
May 15th, 2010, 16:03
Barry,

Great hearing from you, brother!

I knew I liked Jackson, just did not know the entire reason why! The man's an aviation enthusiast!

BTW: When did he get knighted?

Ken

Naki
May 15th, 2010, 16:39
Barry,

I knew I liked Jackson, just did not know the entire reason why! The man's an aviation enthusiast!

Ken

In the last year - we only just reintroduced knighthoods after the last govt got rid of it.

The Dambuster movie is still happening but it might be a few years away yet - there is a full scale Lanc model and other a/c stored in the Lower North Island

His WW1 collection is extraordinary - wish he branched into WW2. Maybe we will see a WW1 flying movie in years to come.

Edit: He must be making some dough as he is about to take delivery of a G550

Ken Stallings
May 15th, 2010, 16:41
In the last year - we only just reintroduced knighthoods after the last govt got rid of it.

The Dambuster movie is still happening but it might be a few years away yet - there is a full scale Lanc model and other a/c stored in the Lower North Island

His WW1 collection is extraordinary - wish he branched into WW2. Maybe we will see a WW1 flying movie in years to come.

He certainly earned it!

Ken

Lionheart
May 15th, 2010, 16:52
Very nice website! Thanks for the heads up Baz.

:ernae:

Bill

daytonite_andy
May 15th, 2010, 22:16
Thanks for the links Bazzar. :guinness:

I'm happy for the Dambusters remake to take as long as needed to tell the full story. I totally love what Sir Peter Jackson has done with other well known stories that he has re-worked.

A little sobering thought though....

Today is the anniversary of the beginning of the raid that happened 67 years ago. Just after 9pm GMT have a pause and imagine what would be going through your mind if you were preparing for that mission.

:salute:

Ken Stallings
May 15th, 2010, 22:29
Thanks for the links Bazzar. :guinness:

I'm happy for the Dambusters remake to take as long as needed to tell the full story. I totally love what Sir Peter Jackson has done with other well known stories that he has re-worked.

A little sobering thought though....

Today is the anniversary of the beginning of the raid that happened 67 years ago. Just after 9pm GMT have a pause and imagine what would be going through your mind if you were preparing for that mission.

:salute:

Having had to board an aircraft for many combat missions, I think I know what did go through their minds and perhaps it might surprise you. It isn't the Hollywood fear and lamentations. Instead, it is a sober understanding that in your hands resides the duty and responsibility to carry out a vital mission for your country.

You also look at your fellow crewmembers and realize that in a far more personal way, they are counting on you to do your job. You owe it to them to stay focused.

Remember in the classic movie the producers actually used the real voice recordings from the crew. Remember how calm and collected the voices were? They were so focused on the details of the mission that they communicated as though they were out of body.

It wasn't being cavalier about the dangers. They knew that all too well. Instead, it was again a sober consideration they had a job to do and it had to be done correctly. When I first saw that movie, I thought it strange how calm the voices were. Now, with my own experiences to gauge it off of, it makes perfect sense and is natural given the situation.

Men faced with incredible risks performing duties without thought of the risks at the time. Later own you can think about it. At the time, you have better things that require your undivided attention.

Ken

bazzar
May 15th, 2010, 23:01
Barry,

Ken

Hi Ken, likewise mate.

I've ordered an SE5 Hisso (model not a real one unfortunately) so I'll let you know how it is. Knowing Sir P.'s attention to detail, I suspect it is very good.

bazzar
May 19th, 2010, 21:58
My kit arrived today.

I have to say, as a collector of these things, this is the most beautifully presented and finished kit I have seen in years.

From the box art to die for to the exquisitely produced colour instruction book, the kit is really a re-incarnation of the sort of kits we were used to 40 years ago.

The standard of moulding, detail and accuracy is stunning. And all for half the cost of the so -called "big boys"stuff.

Needless to say this is my first Wingnuts kit. It won't be my last. Anybody into this stuff...get one.:engel016:

roger-wilco-66
May 19th, 2010, 22:37
Thanks for sharing this!
I admire their work on the 1:1 aircraft, expecially the painstaking work on reproducing the original engines of that era. They look like works of art.

Also their kits look superb. The diorama of the ww1 tunnel is a little disturbing though and reminds me on my many trips to Verdun. I have actually been in these tunnels and forts myself and always had an eerie feeling when I was there.

Cheers,
Mark

Dain Arns
May 20th, 2010, 02:46
My kit arrived today.

I have to say, as a collector of these things, this is the most beautifully presented and finished kit I have seen in years.

From the box art to die for to the exquisitely produced colour instruction book, the kit is really a re-incarnation of the sort of kits we were used to 40 years ago.

The standard of moulding, detail and accuracy is stunning. And all for half the cost of the so -called "big boys"stuff.

Needless to say this is my first Wingnuts kit. It won't be my last. Anybody into this stuff...get one.:engel016:

Thanks for the heads up and the model review, Bazzar.
I love the fact they are 1/32 scale, allows for nice detailing, and that the kits are well made.
I never could force myself to work on 1/72 scale WWI kits. Too small.
Kits like that could make me come out of scale modeling retirement.

bazzar
May 20th, 2010, 04:27
Having had a look att he kit in detail my prediction of a high quality production is definitely confirmed. The moulding is beautiful and there are many features such as a choice of simulated fabric for the fuselage - taught or baggy and different props etc.The full colour 24 pp instruction book contains not only 3D pictorial construction guides but detail photos of the real aircraft for all the stages, tips and hints and a full history of the type with genuine pictures of the aircraft in service with their pilots.

Also included are 6 paint schemes in 3-view style with clear accurate detailing and there's an etched brass fret for belts and buckles and things like the cocking levers for the machine guns.

The much heralded 1;32 Spitfire IX from Tamiya costs almost twice as much as a Wingnut kit and has been suggested as the the World's finest plastic kit. At about twice the cost of the Wingnut kits, they may just have to rethink that statement.