PDA

View Full Version : Spangdahlem AFB, Germany.

CheckSix
May 15th, 2010, 09:14
Is there or does anyone know of an FSX scenery for Spangdahlem AFB, Germany? Vampyres are hoping to start a new Multiplayer Project flying our usual AS F-105D mount out of either Bitburg or Spangdahlem but we would prefer the latter.

Thanks in advance for any info.

skyblazer3
May 15th, 2010, 10:37
Bitburg is WAY Better than Spang! Go BIG 22!

Bjoern
May 15th, 2010, 14:19
Not that I know of.

GZR_Sactargets
May 15th, 2010, 15:31
Is there or does anyone know of an FSX scenery for Spangdahlem AFB, Germany? Vampyres are hoping to start a new Multiplayer Project flying our usual AS F-105D mount out of either Bitburg or Spangdahlem but we would prefer the latter.

Thanks in advance for any info.

<HR align=center width=600 SIZE=2>
<CENTER>FS98 - FS98 Scenery </CENTER><CENTER>FS98 Scenery--Spangdahlem USAFB
</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=86765) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=86765) ] </CENTER>
Name: etad98.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=86765) Size: 711,988 Date: 03-16-2005 Downloads: 204
http://www.flightsim.com/k/etad98.gif FS98 Scenery--Spangdahlem USAFB, Germany. An airbase with 3041x45 m asphalt runway. Features static and dynamic A-10 Thunderbolt, also R-4C Phantom and vehicle. Airbase with taxisigns, hangars, navaids, ATIS and more. By Pablo Schultze-Rhonhof.

CheckSix
May 15th, 2010, 17:14
Thanks for the replies Gents, SACTargets I am afraid thats an FS98 file ratehr than FSX unfortunately but thank you for posting.

fsafranek
May 16th, 2010, 00:36

I found a Spangdahlem AB scenery at Simviation by Ian McCartney.
It was made for FS2004 but works fine in FSX (see above).

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004scenery70.htm

Hope this helps.
:ernae:

CheckSix
May 16th, 2010, 05:01
Fsafranek, thank you very much indeed sir much obliged to you, once again you come to our aid. Indeed, thank you all for your kind assistance especially to you Ed I look forward to what may be ;)

falcon409
May 17th, 2010, 16:36
This took longer than normal. The original image I captured was higher res, but so large it was impossible to work with and it never would sharpen up in the sim. This latest one is not as high res, but I think it'll work better because it seems to fit right into the landscape.

I'm going to work the AFCAD first to ensure all the rwy's, taxi ways and turnouts match the photo, then I'll start positioning the objects, especially the Haz's. There are a bunch of those.

fsafranek
May 17th, 2010, 17:34
I'm going to work the AFCAD first to ensure all the rwy's, taxi ways and turnouts match the photo, then I'll start positioning the objects, especially the Haz's. There are a bunch of those.
That would be great. It needs to be backdated to the '60's for these guys to fly their Thuds from.
The scenery I pointed out above was mid-80's with the new ramp added. :salute:
:ernae:

Bone
May 17th, 2010, 18:16
This took longer than normal. The original image I captured was higher res, but so large it was impossible to work with and it never would sharpen up in the sim. This latest one is not as high res, but I think it'll work better because it seems to fit right into the landscape.

Awesome...and look at where the golf course is! No quiet games there, that's for sure.

falcon409
May 17th, 2010, 18:44
. . . . .It needs to be backdated to the '60's for these guys to fly their Thuds from. . . . . .
Well, finding period photo's (overhead) of the base in the 60's hasn't been very successful, so unless I can get those, or someone has a bunch they can post, or send me. . .then the base will probably look just like it does in the image I posted above.:salute:

falcon409
May 18th, 2010, 11:15
Two images of the WIP:
I thought I'd show the AFCAD since it has been a real maze to work on. I still have some work to do around the "tabs" and the rwy needs to be moved slightly to align correctly. Then I can start dropping in the actual "Tab V" hangars, standard hangars and autogen.

falcon409
May 18th, 2010, 19:54
Tabs are in place (most, not all), some buildings and almost all of the vegetation.

Navy Chief
May 18th, 2010, 20:56

Falcon,

You are doing some amazing work!! Your assistance in converting/porting over NAS Cecil Field scenery was greatly appreciated. Thanks for your efforts and talent!

NC

falcon409
May 18th, 2010, 21:23
Thanks Chief,

Ya know, I thought more about the fps problem at Cecil and I think I know why it's happening. The buildings John did were modeled/coded for FS9. Moving them to FSX was the easy part, but the coding conflicts with FSX, much like a portover (airplane) sometimes causes a drop in framerates. Nothing can really be done about that except to run all the models back through whatever program he used and export them back out as FSX models. I wouldn't even know where to start.

I still fly out of Cecil every day though, it really came out nice and hopefully it works well enough for you to enjoy your old haunt.:salute:

CheckSix
May 18th, 2010, 23:27
To second NavyChief, these wip shots look fantastic! Cant thank you enough Ed!

falcon409
May 19th, 2010, 04:15
Hopefully it will be done later on today.:salute:

falcon409
May 19th, 2010, 07:50
Very close now:

CheckSix
May 19th, 2010, 08:01
Holy smoke! :jump:

Navy Chief
May 19th, 2010, 08:14
Thanks Chief,

Ya know, I thought more about the fps problem at Cecil and I think I know why it's happening. The buildings John did were modeled/coded for FS9. Moving them to FSX was the easy part, but the coding conflicts with FSX, much like a portover (airplane) sometimes causes a drop in framerates. Nothing can really be done about that except to run all the models back through whatever program he used and export them back out as FSX models. I wouldn't even know where to start.

I still fly out of Cecil every day though, it really came out nice and hopefully it works well enough for you to enjoy your old haunt.:salute:

Ed, just to let you know I did forward your comments to John Stinstrom, thinking he might shed some light on possible fixes for the FPS problems, since he was the designer of the scenery. Either way, I am really enjoying NAS Cecil Field again. The US Navy's East Coast Master Jet Base still operates; at least in simulation anyway!

Pete

Navy Chief
May 19th, 2010, 08:15
With regards to the USAF bases in Germany, has anyone ever done Hahn AFB for FSX????

I visited there way back in 1972, just before I enlisted in the Navy.

NC

CheckSix
May 19th, 2010, 08:38
Theres another one that is missing from the FSX library :)

falcon409
May 19th, 2010, 17:56
I could spend another three or four days working on this scenery, adding every single building, but I'm not going to. I am now going to concentrate on the "Tab" areas only. I want to be sure that AGE Equipment, line trucks and fuel trucks are scattered around in sufficient quantity that the main areas that house the aircraft look realistic enough. I've flown in and out of the base quite a few times to get a look at it from the air and it looks to mesh into the ground textures pretty nicely. Taxiing off the rwy and through the network of Tab V's is pretty cool even without any of the small things that you'd normally see at an active base. This is pretty sterile compared to that, but the extras I plan to add should add something to the experience.

falcon409
May 19th, 2010, 18:06
Something I've been pondering and maybe someone with a bit more experience with this can answer. . .There are approximately 100 "Tabs" for parking. I've watched pilots at Luke, actually get lost coming back from a training mission because they couldn't remember where their spot was in the maze of F-16's, lol.
This seems to be a possibility here as well, lol. At bases where Tab V's or Haz's are the norm (Aviano and Incirlik are the only ones I've been to that have this), are they marked somehow along the taxiway to give the pilot a reference?:salute:

ryanbatc
May 19th, 2010, 18:26
Bitburg is WAY Better than Spang! Go BIG 22!

Interesting, we just got a bunch of new (old) F-16's sent to Duluth from SP AFB!

CheckSix
May 20th, 2010, 07:10
How you doign there Ed, pulling your hair out yet? :)

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 07:29
How you doing there Ed, pulling your hair out yet? :)
Not really, do you have an answer to my question posted above?

CheckSix
May 20th, 2010, 07:41
Forgive me Ed, I tend to scan thru these threads, my bad. Ok, from experience all I can say is that on RAF airfields dating back to the late 80's and mid 90's there were no markers for individual HAS placements. I have no idea with regards to the USAF bases I am afraid.

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 07:57
Ok, great. I'll go with that. I couldn't remember seeing anything when I was at Aviano or Incirlik either, other than maybe a building number on the Haz itself. For some of the foreign AF Transient fighters I remember seeing Squadron signs posted, but that may have been an individual Squadron thing and not anything the base supplied.

fsafranek
May 20th, 2010, 17:30
Ground Control (in FS) is going to direct you to the first available spot anyway. I've been sent as a visiting aircraft into the Alert Hanger because the spot was empty.

I have seen AI configured to go to specific areas (but not necessarily individual parking spots) but I don't know about flown aircraft. Maybe with something like below in the aircraft.cfg file and similarly tagged parking spots in the afcad it would work?

atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes=F105

Ok, great. I'll go with that. I couldn't remember seeing anything when I was at Aviano or Incirlik either, other than maybe a building number on the Haz itself. For some of the foreign AF Transient fighters I remember seeing Squadron signs posted, but that may have been an individual Squadron thing and not anything the base supplied.

CheckSix
May 22nd, 2010, 01:00
Any news Ed?

falcon409
May 22nd, 2010, 05:39
Yea, I was about to zip it all up and was going back taking out a few trees that wandered onto the taxiways and now, for some reason the entire center of the base is void of any vegetation. There are trees on each end, but nothing in the middle. I probably didn't remove a total of 20 trees and yet everything in the center is now missing. I'll look into it today and see what I can do.

CheckSix
May 22nd, 2010, 06:22
I thought I heard grinding teeth :) Good luck and lookign forward to it, trust me it is going to be well used :) Thank you for doing this for all of us.

Shane Olguin
May 22nd, 2010, 08:02
I've heard some real bad things about this place. Some of our guys have gone there TDY and don't have very many nice things to say about their supervision there. I was in Ramstein about a month ago and have nothing but nice things to say about their people on the other hand.

falcon409
May 22nd, 2010, 08:37
The only German/US Base I was ever even on was Ramstein. We stopped there to refuel on our way home from Aviano. We never left the Terminal, so I don't even know what the base looked like, lol.

Shane Olguin
May 22nd, 2010, 10:54
I was there for three weeks doing en-route support for C-17s. Basically they take everyone and turn them into crew chiefs regardless of your AFSC, though if they have a hydraulic leak or problem I'm already there to work it.

We were delayed a couple days getting home because this was right in the middle of that Iceland volcano deal back in mid April. It was quite a sight to see the entire ramp completely empty because the airspace was completely closed.

falcon409
May 22nd, 2010, 11:28
I was there for three weeks doing en-route support for C-17s. Basically they take everyone and turn them into crew chiefs regardless of your AFSC, though if they have a hydraulic leak or problem I'm already there to work it.
Yep, "Cut Training". I was Egress, but for almost every deployment I was ever on, I was either a Crew Chief or an assistant, lol. They didn't like breaking an airplane and having Egress ground it, lol, so they kept their write-ups til we got home.:salute: