PDA

View Full Version : Snow and water "friction"

fliger747
May 15th, 2010, 00:50
One of the issues with dealing with float and ski planes is the mechanics of the fluid dynamics of both water and snow. Both allow far too little resistance on takeoff and landing. Snow tends to act like a packed snow/ice surface. In FSX given a slope a plane can accelerate and actually takeoff with no power because the surface is so slick. In reality snow has a lot of sliding resistance! It is so bad you cannot park a ski plane in FSX on any slope whatsoever.

For float planes, the takeoff resistance is far too little and short takeoff runs are possible. It is particularly unrealistic on landing when the plane can go and go and go. Float planes can in reality decellerate very rapidly due to the drag properties of water.

The question.... It was possible to modify the friction coefficent of dry pavement in the FS9 .cfg file, and possibilities of doing this for snow and water for FSX?

Cheers: T

Milton Shupe
May 15th, 2010, 11:03
Tom,

it has been done for FS9 runways, unsure about FSX or snow and water.

The module, a .dll in the Modules folder (possiby teh sim1.dll), that I cannot now recall was updated to improve stickiness of the runways.

A Google search might yield the prize.

fliger747
May 15th, 2010, 17:56
Milton:

I think I was first turned on to the runway friction idea by Tom Kohler when he was working on the B-29. FS9 had too high a dry friction value and he pointed to some fix for it which worked. I didn't find anything looking in the .cfg file, but you are probably right, so off to looking at modules!

Cheers: Tom

Wozza
May 16th, 2010, 16:34
Hi Tom
Yep the info is stored in the sim1.dll,I havnt seen much on it for fsx but there was a white paper on the subject on a German site(I think) somewhere for the fs9 sim1.dll.I personally couldnt make heads or tales of the info as I think some was lost in translation.
I was thinking of tinkering with the ground effect table in the airfile to see if you could over come some of the stickiness of water but never got around to it.......yeah I think a lot :D
Cheers
Wozza