PDA

View Full Version : Older video cards.....

Navy Chief
May 14th, 2010, 17:28
I am running a Nvidia GE Force 8800 GT PCI card.

Was looking to replace it with a slightly more powerful card, thinking it would be a easy thing to find.

Wrong.

To begin with, PCI cards apparently are old technology. Well, whatever. But I am not wanting to build a new system right now!

Can anyone recommend a PCI graphics card, #1, and #2, a place to buy one?

I've tried the usual places, Newegg, Amazon, etc... I avoid Ebay like the plague. Too many unscrupulous characters there, looking for a fast buck, and they ain't getting any of mine!

Thanks.

NC

luckydog
May 14th, 2010, 19:15
I am running a Nvidia GE Force 8800 GT PCI card.

Was looking to replace it with a slightly more powerful card, thinking it would be a easy thing to find.

Wrong.

To begin with, PCI cards apparently are old technology. Well, whatever. But I am not wanting to build a new system right now!

Can anyone recommend a PCI graphics card, #1, and #2, a place to buy one?

I've tried the usual places, Newegg, Amazon, etc... I avoid Ebay like the plague. Too many unscrupulous characters there, looking for a fast buck, and they ain't getting any of mine!

Thanks.

NC

Check out the evga main site.....they got quite a few PCI's..

LD

cheezyflier
May 14th, 2010, 21:03
PCI-E or PCI slot? i suspect what you have is the former. i have the latter which is even older.
it's a geforce fx 5500. i bought it 3 years ago at best buy. it was the only card they had, to fit my dell.
however, it does (barely) run fsx, but just the default, with no weather

kilo delta
May 15th, 2010, 03:30
PCI-E or PCI slot? i suspect what you have is the former. i have the latter which is even older.
it's a geforce fx 5500. i bought it 3 years ago at best buy. it was the only card they had, to fit my dell.
however, it does (barely) run fsx, but just the default, with no weather

Yep...the Nvidia 8800 GT is PCI-e fitment....prior to PCI-e gfx card's were AGP fitment.

txnetcop
May 15th, 2010, 03:55
NavyChief I have never seen a PCI 8800GT. It has to be a PCI-E and that is that latest video card interface right now. So just pick any PCI-E video card you really like and install it. I have the MSI Nvidia 260GTX OC with twin fans I bought from Newegg. It's quite, runs very cool and gives a very sharp image!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

stansdds
May 15th, 2010, 04:29
As far as I know, the 8800GT has only been available as a PCI-e (PCI Express) card. Now there have been five variations of the PCI-e slot, each new variation simply adds bandwidth or features.

PCIe v 1.0
PCIe v 1.1
PCIe v 2.0
PCIe v 2.1
PCIe v 3.0

Using a early version card in a later version slot will limit you to the maximum performance of the card itself.
Using a late version PCIe card in an early version slot will limit you to the maximum performance of the slot itself.

Navy Chief
May 17th, 2010, 18:14
Yep...the Nvidia 8800 GT is PCI-e fitment....prior to PCI-e gfx card's were AGP fitment.

Yep, you're correct! Thanks!

Now then, would THIS card possibly give me improved performance? The price is good:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4644390&CatId=3669

kilo delta
May 18th, 2010, 01:29
Yep, you're correct! Thanks!

Now then, would THIS card possibly give me improved performance? The price is good:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4644390&CatId=3669

Not much of an upgrade tbh, as the 9800GT is basically a re-badged 8800GT except in this case it has a little bit more onboard memory. The 260GTX that Ted mentioned earlier would be perfect...but it really depends on the rest of your computer system's specs as to whether you'll see much of an improvement.

txnetcop
May 18th, 2010, 05:01
You'll should see some real improvement with the 260GTX as long as you have a good power supply and fast RAM. But KD is right the 9800GT is a dressed up 8800GT which has done a fair job with FSX anyway.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">