PDA

View Full Version : Dust Trails

Pips
May 14th, 2010, 15:49
Just wondering if dust trails were ever created for take-offs and landings from dirt strips. If not are they possible? Or would they be too big a framerate hit?

Cody Coyote
May 14th, 2010, 17:21
Yes, Nibbio did them for vehicles back in the very early days of CFS2. You can find them here:

http://web.tiscalinet.it/jobim/cfs2/vehicles/vehicles.html

Someone else either modified these or did additional ones for planes. If I can find them I'll post them.

Jagdflieger
May 14th, 2010, 17:43
The Greenghoast gauge will also create dust when taking off or landing. It's like a wake effect, but with dust.

Search for: dapcfs2v1.zip

The pack comes with a readme file that explains how to set up the effect. It, like the wake effect, only works for the player's aircraft.

Pips
May 14th, 2010, 22:32
Cool, thanks Jadgflieger. :)

Cody Coyote
May 15th, 2010, 06:44
That was the one Jagd, thanks for finding and posting it.

CC

PSULLYKEYS
May 15th, 2010, 11:14
I also posted a less visible dust trail and a snow trail for a winter version in the "snow_fx" download in 2007. It uses Green Ghosts gauge.

oldwheat
May 15th, 2010, 11:52
However, with the GG gauge you are limited to just one effect: exhaust , dust, wake etc. You have to decide which 'eye candy' you prefer with each individual model :confused:.

Jagdflieger
May 15th, 2010, 14:07
PSully,

Yes, I remember the snow effects well. I had it set up for my winter Russian Front install a few years ago and it was great. For some reason, my screen shot library is sans screen shots of it though.

That also brings up the subject of PSully's extensive stock texture updates for those of you wanting to tweak your various theater installations. Just search for PSully as the author.

I'll attach the "snow_fx" file it here so that all may enjoy it again.

PSULLYKEYS
May 17th, 2010, 09:39
Yes OW, sad you can only use one effect with the GG gauge. someone may find another way!

Thanks for the plug Jagd. The infastructure textures need a review, all 80 plus of them! and perhaps a consolidation (winter, europe, desert etc) and some info pix, something I ran out of gas on. My shipyard workers need a boss, so its on a back burner.:running:

kelticheart
May 21st, 2010, 14:59
Hi Pips,

there was a pack called "Nick's prop dust" (I believe) with many variations on the theme. I am talking about at least three years ago. Unfortunately I do not remember where I downloaded it from, but the hint came, as usual, from these pages so someone might recall where "Nick's prop dust" came from.

The effects were meant for FS9, but they worked fine in CFS2 with Green Ghost's gauge. They were very nice, but did affect my framerate so negatively I disinstalled them and archived the file in my backups.

Probably with today's computing power they are not so bad and you could enjoy them. Let's hope someone remembers where they were located, providing they can still be downloaded. I see CFS2 addons availability shrinking very fast in other websites that used to have tons of them. The effort going on here to restore CFS2 archives is very admirable, indeed.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

sc7500
May 21st, 2010, 20:27
And here ya go !

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004misc14.htm

SC
:kilroy: