PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist Survives Getting Hit In The Head By A Turkey

FAC257
May 12th, 2010, 12:33
Ouch! This had to hurt.

Harley rider without a helmet vs. flying turkey.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100512/ARTICLE/5121054/2416/NEWS?Title=Arcadia-motorcyclist-survives-turkey-head-on

FAC

cheezyflier
May 12th, 2010, 13:01
The bird, whose 20-pound carcass was recovered by a nearby resident and stuffed into a freezer...

in true redneck style, someone got a free meal out of the ordeal :icon_lol:

in all seriousness though, the facts as stated in the article suggest that her injuries, in large part, were due to her not wearing the proper gear. i believe it's everyone's right to decide what they wear when they ride, but if she was wearing her riding leathers chances are good that she would not have been cut up bad enough to need a medi-vac chopper. she's lucky she hit the barb wire, instead of a fence post.
i was like that at one time. i used to ride around in jeans and a t-shirt. my safety gear was sunglasses.
when i buy my next bike that will not be the case. i took a pidgeon to the forehead at about 70 mph once.
felt like getting beaned with a baseball. saw stars as i rode down rte 141 outside newport.
clipped a seagull another time, but was wearing a helmet that day. a june bug to the face will tear you up as well. for me, going forward, it's all the gear, all the time.

luckydog
May 12th, 2010, 14:44
I've had a near miss with a wild turkey once, but was able to duck in time.......
and a turkey vulture ( eating road-kill ) came real close but missed.......instead covering my bike and I in a gallon of vulture poop. Took an hour in a gas-station restroom to get semi-sanitized.

LD

norab
May 12th, 2010, 16:27
i believe it's everyone's right to decide what they wear when they ride,
This is the argument my cycle riding brother and his friends have made for years. If you were alone on the highway with no possibility of interaction with others this might be reasonable, but you are on a public highway. If you are riding and are struck by something that causes you to lose control, and that a helmet and face shield would have prevented,l and say you cross lanes and cause a family in a minivan to crash and a child dies, It's your fault, that child had no say in it and your comfort is not sufficient reason to put his life at risk. My two cents

brad kaste
May 12th, 2010, 16:39
.....Wonder if Harleyman ever got bonked by one.....:isadizzy:

Ken Stallings
May 12th, 2010, 18:06
Jeez! Just another example that long odds aren't always impossible odds!

Mercy!

Ken

Ken Stallings
May 12th, 2010, 18:09
in true redneck style, someone got a free meal out of the ordeal :icon_lol:

in all seriousness though, the facts as stated in the article suggest that her injuries, in large part, were due to her not wearing the proper gear. i believe it's everyone's right to decide what they wear when they ride, but if she was wearing her riding leathers chances are good that she would not have been cut up bad enough to need a medi-vac chopper. she's lucky she hit the barb wire, instead of a fence post.
i was like that at one time. i used to ride around in jeans and a t-shirt. my safety gear was sunglasses.
when i buy my next bike that will not be the case. i took a pidgeon to the forehead at about 70 mph once.
felt like getting beaned with a baseball. saw stars as i rode down rte 141 outside newport.
clipped a seagull another time, but was wearing a helmet that day. a june bug to the face will tear you up as well. for me, going forward, it's all the gear, all the time.

You know, I agree with you ideally about personal choice. I really do.

However, no one has yet been able to provide a reasonable option for someone to forego medical treatment in an emergency room and require society to pay for it one way or the other.

Traditionally, I embrace libertarian values.

But, sometimes, these must be balanced with measurement of the cost to society.

Cheers,

Ken

Willy
May 12th, 2010, 18:10
What got me was her surviving being thrown into that barbed wire fence. We're doctoring a horse now that went through one. A barb wire fence creates some really deep and nasty cuts. Quite the slicer/dicer

Ken Stallings
May 12th, 2010, 18:19
I had a nasty tangle with razor wire in Afghanistan several years back. Took several stiches in my leg.

I had stupid visions of heroically having the doctor do them without any anestesia so I could fly a mission the next night (I flew the one that night with my leg bleeding). The doc pulled the thread through my leg for the first of several and I immediately yelled out, "Give me the shot!" :icon_lol:

Suddenly, flying the next night wasn't all that important!

Ken

cheezyflier
May 12th, 2010, 19:13
However, no one has yet been able to provide a reasonable option for someone to forego medical treatment in an emergency room and require society to pay for it one way or the other.

Traditionally, I embrace libertarian values.

actually, this argument doesn't wash. most people are covered not just by their insurance on the vehicle, but their health insurance. and soon, with socialized medicine, you'll be paying for a whole lotta stupid junk anyhow, a motorcyclist here and there won't even be a drop in the bucket. besides, it's not like the debt doesn't go on your credit. one is expected to pay. there are many dangerous pursuits you could use your arguments against and don't. are you against skiing? the guy who pulls a sonny bono could end up being very costly. where is his helmet and gear? how about parachutists, hang gliders and bungee jumpers?
ultralight pilots? sport pilots?

Bjoern
May 12th, 2010, 20:23
for me, going forward, it's all the gear, all the time.

Good slogan.

If it hadn't been for protective gear I would have a motorcyclist on my "killed" list by now.