PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good FSX helicopter

Timber
May 12th, 2010, 11:56
I know the Dodo Sim is great, no question but what about the others? I'm looking for flight dynamics that come really close to the RW. Not so interested in the startup process because at this point in my life there's no way - for many reasons - that I'm going for a RW license. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Like I told the guys at EVA right now my landing of a helicoopter resembles a drunk humming bird trying to spike a feeder.:salute:

jetstreamsky
May 12th, 2010, 12:17
Other than Dodosim, no helicopter flies correctly in FSX due to the FSX engine, however that can be bypassed using the free HTR program that takes the flight engine outside of the sim. (similar to the Dodosim approach) You can read all about it and get it from Hovercontrol.com and use it with any Helicopter with a config file specifically developed for the model in question.

Dain Arns
May 12th, 2010, 12:44
Actually agreed, HTR would provide the most realistic approach, but I would not recommend HTR for someone just starting out.
I think it would end up being a more frustrating experience for someone new.

Timber, in my opinion your best bet it to still go to Hovercontrol, and download this updated .cfg file for the default Bell:
http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Add-ons_-_Revised_Configs_-_FSX
Then just start with the 206. (It's already in the "tool kit" so to speak)
Just like many do in the real world and sim.

Practice on just hovering.
Get the 206 light on the skids at about 55-60% torque then add a slight more torque.
Work on holding it, keeping the disk level, and lightly reversing torque to set it down.

Then add HTR when you are comfortable with hovering.

Now,the best solution is Hovercontrol has real world Helicopter pilots, who are also Instructor Pilots, who are often on Hovercontrol's online server.
They are more than happy to teach you or anyone how to hover in FSX.
FSX has the advantage of being able to share the cockpit.
In fact it is said some folks have gone on from Hovercontrol and gotten their real world tickets.

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

Timber
May 14th, 2010, 07:12
Thank you guys for your words. Looks like stick time is wht answer. I have HTR loaded now and am working with the 206.

Regards

Timber