PDA

View Full Version : Hughes banned in FS2004 ?

eshopper
November 12th, 2008, 09:13
Hi all,
just out of curiosity - I wonder why FS2004 - " A century of flight" completely ignores Howard Hughes - anything that he has achieved like speed records (in 1935), record setting around the world flight in 1938 (which earned a triumphant ticker tape parade in New York and the prestigious award that only Wiley Post and Lindbergh had also received) (btw both intensively featured in FS2004)

The single Spruce Goose flight in LA (largest airplane ever built (until A380?) and

finally the contribution to commercial flight with "TWAs" transatlantic flights and the fleet of Super Constellations that dwarfed all other airlines at the time.

Not a single word about anything of that in the Microsoft product - can that be by purpose, and if yes WHY....

lefty
November 12th, 2008, 11:08
Possibly because most of Hughes' activities, rightly or wrongly, are considered to be one big extended ego trip.

I have no axe to grind at all here, but I must confess that whilst the names of the Wrights, Alcock & Brown, Lindbergh, etc conjure up wondrous endeavours, all I think of when Hughes is mentioned are the Spruce Goose (aka White Elephant) and Jane Russell's corsetry.

eshopper
November 12th, 2008, 15:43
thats how I thought as well before reading "the untold story" from peter harry brown and Pat h. broeske - an extremely well researched complete (and controversial) biography.

After that it occurs to me that Microsoft has created an Hommage of aviation history which rightfully includes Wiley Post, Amelia Earhart, charles lindhbergh and many others.

I.e. Amelia was present at above the Burbank airfield taking off after him when Howand filed his world record of 355mps with the H-1 silver bullet in 1935.

Not mentioning Howard Hughes in that historic context with a single word at all (not because of the spruce goose) but because of the H-1 racer the XF-11 the Super Constellations stills seems strange....

Many agree that his contribution to aviation in the century was absolutely substantial - and the discovery of Jane Russels bustline is yet another discovery in another field :-)

But in maybe this is exactly the answer - because HH is not ONLY associated with major advances in aviation like the rectracble gear other the continuous feed oxyen but also with psychotic eccentricity and hollywood starlet promiscuity his name and figure might have too "risky" to be put into a mass market product.

regards
Joe H.