PDA

View Full Version : CFS3 "hanging", Windows 7 Pro 64

greycap.raf
May 11th, 2010, 11:50
I finally upgraded to the latest Windows version but now I have a problem with CFS3. It runs, and it runs very well when it does, but getting it to do it in the first place takes some effort and when it finally does run it doesn't want to stop. I'll explain.

Clicking on the "quick launch" icon or double clicking a normal shortcut - or even the exe itself - doesn't launch the sim but creates a new process for it in the Task Manager. Give it another try and it starts, runs well, and closes as it should. But at this point the original process is still hanging there and gives the old and good "Another copy of CFS3 is already running" (excuse for wording mistakes if there are some) when I want to play again or even decides to upgrade itself to a fully running CFS3 all by itself. Annoying to say the least. I have to kill the leftover process manually after every session.

Using a compatibility mode doesn't make any difference, I tried XP SP2, XP SP3 and none. All of them give the same result.

NSS
May 11th, 2010, 12:44
Same here.
On all my installs.
OFF
PTO
ETO

Etc etc.

Hope there is a cure for this and I missed it.

hairyspin
May 11th, 2010, 12:50
I can't check myself because the Win7 HD died recently, but I was running CFS3 happily in 64-bit Win7 Home Premium.

You need to set XP SP3 compatibility and "Run as Administrator". Set this for CFS3.exe in the CFS3 folder (for each install - OFF, ETO, PTO etc), or you'll have to set this for each shortcut or Quick Launch.

The "Another copy of CFS3.exe is running" hanging glitch is caused when you shut down using Alt-F4 - use Exit from the in-game menu and this does not occur. This is the only glitch I've found running CFS3 under Win7.

While you're at it, find and delete OLEACC.DLL from the CFS3 directory. This is a hangover from Win98 (original version) compatibility and will clash with Win7's own, much later version of the .DLL, preventing multiplayer games from running.

italflyer
May 11th, 2010, 22:01
had this to, still have it from time to time.

what usually helps is:

fire up taskmanager or processExplorer, fire up CFS3 (ETO etc). Sometimes CFS3 calls for "rundll32.exe" witch takes then about 5o% cpu-power (on a dualcore). Suspend (not kill) "rundll32.exe", kill cfs3.exe in taskmanager, restart cfs3.

A bit odd, but it works for me.

Try if you find WIN-7 drivers for your motherboard, this seems to be the cause of all my mess, as there are no W7-64 drivers for my board.

greycap.raf
May 12th, 2010, 09:47
Same here.
On all my installs.
OFF
PTO
ETO

Etc etc.

Hope there is a cure for this and I missed it.

There seems to be but I certainly didn't expect it to be this.

You need to set XP SP3 compatibility and "Run as Administrator". Set this for CFS3.exe in the CFS3 folder (for each install - OFF, ETO, PTO etc), or you'll have to set this for each shortcut or Quick Launch.

While you're at it, find and delete OLEACC.DLL from the CFS3 directory. This is a hangover from Win98 (original version) compatibility and will clash with Win7's own, much later version of the .DLL, preventing multiplayer games from running.

Doesn't work, I really thought it would but it doesn't. I deleted the dll though as it can't do any harm.

Try if you find WIN-7 drivers for your motherboard, this seems to be the cause of all my mess, as there are no W7-64 drivers for my board.

You, sir, deserve a crate of virtual beer for that one. Out of three tries this far it's fired up perfectly each time and shut down perfectly each time. That's definitely one thing I wouldn't have checked when looking for the cure. Here's a six pack for a beginning.

:guinness::guinness::guinness::guinness::guinness: :guinness:

italflyer
May 13th, 2010, 05:05
Thanks a lot for the beer.:ernae: (I'd prefer wine next time:173go1:).

One thing I forgot:

Whenever I close CFS3 while flying a mission, QC or whatever, it closes perfect.

When I close it while in the ui-screen, it shuts down, but stays in the memory....

:italy: