PDA

View Full Version : Porting over scenery, i.e. NAS Cecil Field, FL

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 09:46
I've asked about this before, but have never gotten the problem resolved.

NAS Cecil Field scenery was done for FS9 by John Stinstrom many years ago. I collaborated with him on the project, in that I provided him with a lot of pictures/information. Great scenery, I think. John even went the extra step to recreate the barracks on base! Anyway, to date, Cecil has not been recreated in such detail for FSX. For all I know it is on someone's planning board, but not aware of it.

I took some screenshots of the problems incurred with porting it over to FSX.

NC

falcon409
May 11th, 2010, 11:19
Yep, that was one of the bigger problems with Zone_2 Portland when we tried to port it to FSX. If the trees are all a separate bgl, then simply moving them out of the scenery folder will take that out. Did he use a photoimage (satellite image) for the ground texture? If so, then you can go back with Autogen Annotator and add trees back in. If not, then using Instant Scenery would also correct the problem by adding FSX compatible trees.:salute:

I'll download the scenery and see what I can do to fix it if you want.

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 12:07
Yep, that was one of the bigger problems with Zone_2 Portland when we tried to port it to FSX. If the trees are all a separate bgl, then simply moving them out of the scenery folder will take that out. Did he use a photoimage (satellite image) for the ground texture? If so, then you can go back with Autogen Annotator and add trees back in. If not, then using Instant Scenery would also correct the problem by adding FSX compatible trees.:salute:

I'll download the scenery and see what I can do to fix it if you want.

Thanks Falcon,

I believe there were two versions of the scenery; one photoreal, and the other was not. If you are able to fix the problems, that would be awesome!

NC

falcon409
May 11th, 2010, 14:36
Thanks Falcon,

I believe there were two versions of the scenery; one photoreal, and the other was not. If you are able to fix the problems, that would be awesome!

NC

I downloaded the photoreal one and removed the fences and trees and actually, except for one area around what I assume is the main terminal, you can't tell anything is missing. I was going to use the annotator to replace the trees on the photoreal image, but Annotator doesn't recognize the photo, so some Instant Scenery magic will fix it up in no time.

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 14:39
I downloaded the photoreal one and removed the fences and trees and actually, except for one area around what I assume is the main terminal, you can't tell anything is missing. I was going to use the annotator to replace the trees on the photoreal image, but Annotator doesn't recognize the photo, so some Instant Scenery magic will fix it up in no time.

Outstanding!!!!

falcon409
May 11th, 2010, 20:02
Chief,
I've downloaded a new photoimage for the background and have it placed. Luckily, John placed most of his buildings as objects via EZ-Scenery which is compatible with Instant Scenery. I've been moving the buildings out to their correct positions on the image and at some point, since this photo is recognized in Annotator, I can add the trees back in. It may take a bit longer than just a day, but it'll be as good as I can get it. Probably need to run it by John before we do anything with it as far as a re-release, since he's the original author.:salute:

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 20:28
Chief,
I've downloaded a new photoimage for the background and have it placed. Luckily, John placed most of his buildings as objects via EZ-Scenery which is compatible with Instant Scenery. I've been moving the buildings out to their correct positions on the image and at some point, since this photo is recognized in Annotator, I can add the trees back in. It may take a bit longer than just a day, but it'll be as good as I can get it. Probably need to run it by John before we do anything with it as far as a re-release, since he's the original author.:salute:

Roger that!

I will email John tonight. Am sure he won't have a problem with this at all, as I've discussed it with him before. I'll get back to you! Thank you!

NC

falcon409
May 11th, 2010, 20:38
NP!:salute:

falcon409
May 12th, 2010, 04:18
Some quick WIP shots. Some buildings are still out of place and I haven't done the autogen vegetation yet.

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2010, 04:54
Some quick WIP shots. Some buildings are still out of place and I haven't done the autogen vegetation yet.

Falcon, thank you SO much! Will those jetliners be removable from the flight line? I hope to be replacing them with Corsair IIs!

NC

falcon409
May 12th, 2010, 07:25
Yep, the liners are gone, I just retouched the image and also placed about half the autogen to get a look at how it that's gonna work. . .looks good. I'm moving the rest of the AGE Equipment, trucks and buildings now.

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2010, 07:41
Yep, the liners are gone, I just retouched the image and also placed about half the autogen to get a look at how it that's gonna work. . .looks good. I'm moving the rest of the AGE Equipment, trucks and buildings now.

Oh yeah, this is sounding perfect!

falcon409
May 12th, 2010, 08:41
Another shot:

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2010, 09:11
Another shot:

I can almost envision walking to the barracks from the hangar!

falcon409
May 12th, 2010, 09:47
I have a few things to do to the AFCAD to get it lined up with the image, then I'm going to zip it all up and send it to you Chief. That way, you can load it up and check it out first hand. That way, since you're much more familiar with how it should look, if anything is out of place you can let me know.

navy81
May 12th, 2010, 09:51
Falcon, Chief,
Glad you two took this on. Another great Naval Air Station in the work.
Any chance you can ensure the NAVAID is VOR/DME so you can do TACAN approaches?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Deke
Navy81

falcon409
May 12th, 2010, 11:16
Deke,
I'll have a look at the AFCAD and see what NavAids are attached.

UPDATE:
VOR/DME
Freq. 117.90
Range 361.3km
Ident VQQ

DME (Only)
Freq. 114.10
Range 361.2km
Ident NZC

NDB
Freq. 332.0
Range 69.5km
Name/Ident Herlong/HEG

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2010, 13:56
I have a few things to do to the AFCAD to get it lined up with the image, then I'm going to zip it all up and send it to you Chief. That way, you can load it up and check it out first hand. That way, since you're much more familiar with how it should look, if anything is out of place you can let me know.

Sounds great, Falcon! Thanks!

Btw, I neglected to mention I DID get a reply from John Stinstrom last night.

He said, "Glad to hear someone still has a use for the Cecil scenery, of course you have my permission to convert it. Let me know if you run into any texture issues and I will try to help."

I will be away for a few hours, but will check back in when home again............NC

falcon409
May 13th, 2010, 06:14
Here's an "almost done" WIP shot on approach. . .looks pretty cool:

Navy Chief
May 13th, 2010, 16:42
Took a spin around NAS Cecil Field in Razbam's old "Scooter"....

Amazing piece of work. After all these years, it STILL looks great, and flies like a sports car with wings. Thanks Prowler!

NC

Shylock
May 13th, 2010, 20:05
Nice work there Falcon looking good. What maps are you using for the photo real?

tigisfat
May 13th, 2010, 21:17
great job!!:ernae:

rsgunner
May 20th, 2010, 05:13
Did this ever get released?

I am looking forward to it.

Russ

Navy Chief
May 20th, 2010, 05:21
Did this ever get released?

I am looking forward to it.

Russ

I don't think Falcon has uploaded it yet. But am sure he will soon. I think he's still pondering some possible changes to improve FPS, but not positive about that. NC

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 05:22
There are some fps problems with the scenery, so a pretty hefty system is required to get past the drop in framerates. I believe it's caused by the custom buildings that John did for the original FS9 version. Being coded for FS9 and then brought over into FSX seems to have the same effect as porting some aircraft, where you experience framerate problems. Right now, Chief and myself are the only two who have the scenery.

If you think your system can handle it, I'll post the links to the files you need.

Navy Chief
May 20th, 2010, 05:28
There are some fps problems with the scenery, so a pretty hefty system is required to get past the drop in framerates. I believe it's caused by the custom buildings that John did for the original FS9 version. Being coded for FS9 and then brought over into FSX seems to have the same effect as porting some aircraft, where you experience framerate problems. Right now, Chief and myself are the only two who have the scenery.

If you think your system can handle it, I'll post the links to the files you need.

I am hopeful (if I can get my power supply and video card situation squared away) that FPS rates won't be an issue for me any more. Leastwise, that is my goal!

rsgunner
May 20th, 2010, 05:53
I am ready to download it and give it a try.

Russ

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 06:04
rgr that rsgunner,

http://www.box.net/shared/gb9i22mzmg
That's the entire field minus the photoimage base texture

http://www.box.net/shared/r7v9lnrfpm
That's the photoimage base texture which must be dropped into the "scenery" folder from the previous download.

rsgunner
May 20th, 2010, 06:09
Got them both installed. Time to take a look.

Thanks a bunch.

Russ

Navy Chief
May 20th, 2010, 06:13
If I can get my system to running the way I want it to, I am going to finally start customizing my scenery..... Also get into some AI stuff. A lot of things I wasn't able to do, because it caused such a huge hit on FPS.

rsgunner
May 20th, 2010, 06:30
FPS may not be the fastest but I am satisfied with.

Well Done.:salute:

You can't have enough military scenery especially Navy.:jump:

Russ

Shylock
May 20th, 2010, 06:51

Do you have the source files for the buildings? You can get the source files for the MDL's and recompile them for FSX and that will improve FPS by a lot. Let me know if you need help Falcon.

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 06:52
Okie Dokie then gunner, glad it worked for ya.:salute: I'm working on another military base, but it's Air Force (Spangdahlem AB, Germany). Should be available in a few days if I can just get someone to answer my question, lol

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 06:55
Do you have the source files for the buildings? You can get the source files for the MDL's and recompile them for FSX and that will improve FPS by a lot. Let me know if you need help Falcon.
The buildings were done by John Stinstrom and I've e-mailed him with my concerns as did Chief I believe. Just waiting on a reply now.:salute:

Shylock
May 20th, 2010, 11:53
Okie dokie Falcon. My offer still stands if you need anything. John is a great guy.

falcon409
May 20th, 2010, 14:57
Okie dokie Falcon. My offer still stands if you need anything. John is a great guy.
Thanks,

I have the programs necessary probably (GMax & FSDS3.x), but wouldn't have any idea what to do with the source code even if I had it, lol. Hopefully John can help out, at least I want to give him first right of refusal, lol.

Shylock
May 20th, 2010, 17:14
All you do is open the model in either of those programs and just compile in FSX format and your done. From there flip the BMP textures and save them as DDS and you now have saved FPS.